Model Cars Magazine Forum

'67 Plymouth GTX build Update 7-28-14 (Under glass)

TFchronos

Looking good. Nice stance to it and the color is great.

Thank you Tommy!

JONATHAN,,,,,,,, this is one of the better looking '67s ive seen somthin' about the gunmeteal and the blacked out treat ments is so cool!!!!!!! how about more? shaun/s p.s, motor looks great also!

Thanks Shaun, glad you're liking it.

Finally got a good day to spray a few days back so I resprayed the front passenger fender and the truck lid. The painted ended up going on a little darker this time around. I replicated the paint process from the first time, primer, to color, to clear. I think it happened because it started on the charcoal grey rather than the bare white body like the first time. It is a little disappointing but I think it adds a little flawed charm to it. It is a cannonball racer after all. It's not meant to be a perfect big budget show car, just something a relatively regular person could have made to travel across country.

Post61_zps19c97129.jpg

Post63_zpsa1bfa2d3.jpg

Post62_zpsb05da164.jpg

Post64_zpsbea080a2.jpg

Time to finish up working on the interior.

Thanks for looking!

Jonathan, I love '66-67' GTX's and this looks as good as any I've seen. You capture that badazz Mopar mystic with the color choices you've made. There is something I've noticed in a couple of the pictures you took; The 3rd picture in post #19 has some purple showing from something in the background towards the bottom left of back window; 4th picture has a purple paint can top(?) in background. I think purple is screaming to be part of this color scheme. When I saw those pictures and noticed that I was like " this is the missing color! And what I'm thinking is 'windows. Give it a look, and , see what you think.

Jonathan, I love '66-67' GTX's and this looks as good as any I've seen. You capture that badazz Mopar mystic with the color choices you've made. There is something I've noticed in a couple of the pictures you took; The 3rd picture in post #19 has some purple showing from something in the background towards the bottom left of back window; 4th picture has a purple paint can top(?) in background. I think purple is screaming to be part of this color scheme. When I saw those pictures and noticed that I was like " this is the missing color! And what I'm thinking is 'windows. Give it a look, and , see what you think.

Thank you Gene! After building 3 of these, well I own two but built one twice so I guess this makes number three lol) I've really grown to like these cars myself so much that if I could ever own a 1:1 it would be my Mopar and overall muscle car of choice.

Purple tinted windows (if I am following you correctly) would definitely make it stand out and put it over the top I agree. But this is being built to run in a cross country race of.. um.. *cough* well.. questionable legality ;). So trying to keep it low key is a big part of my theme with it. That was one of the driving reasons to make it Charcoal Grey. I liked the idea of the color for the car as it was but this also plays to the stealth side. Dark grey in general disappears on the road really well. I can't tell you how many times my Dad was almost hit because his '90 Cavalier was painted (by us, originally red) Charcoal grey, no one saw it until the last second. As cool as adding purple to the car would be, I really would like to try to keep this as low key as I can.

Thank you very much for the suggestion, I'll definitely keep it in mind for a future GTX build.

Here's another update. After getting further into building this I've realised that the decal sheet is missing so not having the decal sheet (or even knowing if it had dash decals for that matter). I decided to make my own dash cluster using Mopar Performence brand gauges. Thought it would be a little more appropriate than using universal gauges.

Post76_zps62c800aa.jpg

I also covered the top of the dashboard with electrical tape to give it a nice leather look. I tried covering the seats to but that didn't end well.

Post71_zpse8e710fc.jpg

Post75_zpsa5eec251.jpg

Post74_zpsb63506b6.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Edited by TFchronos

Hi Jonathan, your GTX is really coming along. I know I havent posted on it yet, but I have been following your build. I like all kinds of 60s and 70s muscle, but the chrysler brands from that era, take me back to my teen years when all my friends were out cruzing in their mopars. I'll be following along with your build as you go.

Looks good Jonathan and you're welcome on the suggestion. You could alway's have purple fuzzy dice! :lol:

Thanks again Gene, I'll try my hand at making some. :)

Bro, that interior is looking great! Nice idea with the tape for the dash!

Thank you James!

Love the Gauge dash cluster. Real nice touch..

Thank you Carl!

Hi Jonathan, your GTX is really coming along. I know I havent posted on it yet, but I have been following your build. I like all kinds of 60s and 70s muscle, but the chrysler brands from that era, take me back to my teen years when all my friends were out cruzing in their mopars. I'll be following along with your build as you go.

Thank you Jim, much appreciated.

Going even further into the build I have also found that the tail lights are also missing. So I tried my hand at making my own.

Post81_zps6e6bd002.jpg

Post82_zps4168a9c9.jpg

Post83_zps25a77cc7.jpg

The tail lights are sitting loosely, the right side wasn't in fully when I took the picture.

Post84_zps4f955e01.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Thanks Glenn, Fred, and Carl.

If the tailights aren't glued in yet, paint inside the taillight bucket (Where the light goes) silver, it'll look reflective, like a actual one.

Or foil the backside. I do that and it works good

Thanks Glenn and Fred! I've done the foil to a few tail lights already, it really does look good. But for this I think I'll leave it darker, I think it looks really good with the blacked back end.

If you or someone you know smokes, get the embossed foil from a pack of cigarettes and put a piece of it behind them, it really makes the tail lights pop! It won't make them super bright like normal foil does either!

Scratch-made tail lights with cigarette pack foil behind them...

50ChevyPU426-vi.jpg