Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Mercedes 300SL Announced, new pics added to OP

martinfan5

Very cool....do I see a comparo in my future? Tamiya 300SL vs. AMT Trophy Series 300SL...assessing 50 years of kit-designing progress, and including acquisition cost of each (original issue c.1964/5 AMT 300SL's are more numerous than one would expect, and not that pricey, either....). Now that would be interesting (at least it would be to me!) Thanks for posting, Jonathon, and thanks for the pictures, Geoff. TIM

Very cool....do I see a comparo in my future? Tamiya 300SL vs. AMT Trophy Series 300SL...assessing 50 years of kit-designing progress, and including acquisition cost of each (original issue c.1964/5 AMT 300SL's are more numerous than one would expect, and not that pricey, either....). Now that would be interesting (at least it would be to me!) Thanks for posting, Jonathon, and thanks for the pictures, Geoff. TIM

Please, do a comparison! Besides an interesting subject, your articles are the first things I actually "read" (not just look at the pictures) in any of the magazines.

Does the AMT Kit have the separate tubular frame? The Tamiya one looks like an impressive model!

No, the AMT only has the pylon style cross members in front of the firewall. Not a big deal since that's the only space frame detail that can be seen. The 1/16 Minicraft and Entex version has a reasonably complete space frame, and not the less accurate 1/16 Italeri. I don't know for sure about the 1/24 Italeri, but if it's the same as their larger kit, they made the mistake of basing the Gullwing's lower body on their roadster kit, which has accurate but different body dimensions (except for a wrong windshield frame).

Edited by sjordan2

Spent a while poring over the images. Parts fit will tell the rest of the story, but as a collector of all things Gullwing and from what I can see, this looks like the definitive Gullwing kit in any scale. The detail looks amazingly complete and accurate, with elements not seen on any other version. Now if they'd just do this in 1/12....

@sjordan2 Did you notice that it has speaker grills but no radio (which was a small addition to the bottom-center of the dash - see pic). Not a huge deal, because you can get a photoetch scratchbuilt radio, or omit the speaker grills. Still appears to be the most accurate and complete representation. Another thing: there are decals for the stars and scripts, but these should really be metal transfers; however, they are already available aftermarket. This would really benefit from the aftermarket, including the rudge wheels, fitted suitcases, hose clamps, rivets etc.

Edited by BVC500

Uh, oh. Looks like I'm gonna have to send some of my $$$ to Tokyo! :o

I have a real yen for that . . . especially since they're gonna put an ENGINE in it!

Kit looks great. :wub:

Welcome to the dark side, we have been waiting for you

:lol: :lol:

Edited by martinfan5

@sjordan2 Did you notice that it has speaker grills but no radio (which was a small addition to the bottom-center of the dash - see pic). Not a huge deal, because you can get a photoetch scratchbuilt radio, or omit the speaker grills. Still appears to be the most accurate and complete representation. Another thing: there are decals for the stars and scripts, but these should really be metal transfers; however, they are already available aftermarket. This would really benefit from the aftermarket, including the rudge wheels, fitted suitcases, hose clamps, rivets etc.

There is a set of transfers, if you look on the parts layout photo they're right below the decals. Tamiya has in more recent years been including "doubles" of the scripting in decals, as some people East of the Pacific seem to believe they're made via witchcraft and try to dunk them in water..hilarity then ensues.

Welcome to the dark side, we have been waiting for you

:lol: :lol:

We'd offer you cookies, but we spent the baked good budget on superbly engineered Japanese model kits.

Yea I think the Trophy Series kit is under appreciated. I have a few in my collection including the rather rare Autobahn version.

DSCN2363-vi.jpg

Edited by afx