Model Cars Magazine Forum

37/38 Ford Pick Up--Revell Strikes Again

Dr. Cranky

• 2 months later...

This may sound like a stupid question, but is the chassis of this kit interchangeable with the Revell's 37 Ford Coupe?

I'm guessing no, since the cars are 1/24 scale and the trucks 1/25 scale.

At least the '37 Panel is being reissued. ;)

One minor gripe... it isn't a '37/38- it is just a 1937, with an optional '38 grille and hood treatment. A '38 Grille and hood on a '37 does not a '38 make. Okay. Off my soapbox. B)

I agree with you Chuck. I was quite bummed when I opened it and didn't find the 38/39 cab.

• 2 months later...

I agree with you Chuck. I was quite bummed when I opened it and didn't find the 38/39 cab.

Or the fenders. Good news is if you have a Monogram '40 and some '36 Ford fenders, you'd be well on your way to making a '38 if you wanted to do a ton of work. Which I guess isn't good news, merely so/so news. :lol:

I've always had a plan to take the '37 Coupe's front end, cowl and fenders and add it to the cab and bed of the pickup. The dread of the scale differences has kept me from it so far.

• 4 weeks later...

I've always had a plan to take the '37 Coupe's front end, cowl and fenders and add it to the cab and bed of the pickup. The dread of the scale differences has kept me from it so far.

I've thought of that myself, but since what I have in mind would involve chopping and cutting so much that nobody would really know what scale the resulting model would be, I might go ahead with it scale difference or no. B)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Actually editing this post. Ok unless I am missing something why is there ten tires four rims one spare and 5 hubcaps? Don't get me wrong I love spare tires/parts. Also does the surf board have a separate skeg or is it part of the board?

Edited by mnwildpunk

Actually editing this post. Ok unless I am missing something why is there ten tires four rims one spare and 5 hubcaps? Don't get me wrong I love spare tires/parts. Also does the surf board have a separate skeg or is it part of the board?

I've wondered the same thing about the ten tires, especially since all ten are the same and each group consists of five tires.

The skeg is part of the board:

longboard1.jpg

• 7 years later...

That is interesting news.  Wouldn't mind another one although I still haven't built the two I have.  Sure, it would be nice to have a pure 38 pickup but seeing as how the grille and hood is the hardest part to create, I am happy for the parts they gave us  and will put the time into converting the fenders and other details. 

For those who are still wondering, the 37 Ford coupe/convertible/Tudor chassis fits nicely under these pickup/van fender units.  I did this swap on my  37 Panel and it went in virtually untouched.

Funny thing about scale - I was messing with the current AMT 36 coupe on the weekend and grabbed both a 37 passenger car and a 37 pickup chassis to check things out.  The 37 pickup chassis fits happily under the 36 coupe, giving a much more modern tooling to work with, the 37 passenger chassis fits straight under the pickup but the 37 passenger chassis misses the 36 coupe by miles.   As they are all essentially the same chassis but designed in different scales in different decades, I would put it down to scale tolerances. there is a minor difference between some combos but a major difference between others.

To further muddy the waters, the old Monogram 40 pickup chassis is a good fit under the 37 passenger car and vice versa if you want a simple factory swap.

Photos below are - 37 Tudor under 37 delivery, 37 Pickup under 37 Convert, 37 delivery completed, 40 PU under 37 Tudor, 37 Tudor under 49 pickup. AMT 36 coupe compared to 37 Pickup.

Cheers

Alan

IMG_1321.JPG

IMG_1322.JPG

IMG_1318.JPG

IMG_1299.JPG

IMG_1298.JPG

20210807_104147[1].jpg

• Thanks 2

On 8/10/2021 at 9:49 PM, alan barton said:

That is interesting news.  Wouldn't mind another one although I still haven't built the two I have.  Sure, it would be nice to have a pure 38 pickup but seeing as how the grille and hood is the hardest part to create, I am happy for the parts they gave us  and will put the time into converting the fenders and other details. 

For those who are still wondering, the 37 Ford coupe/convertible/Tudor chassis fits nicely under these pickup/van fender units.  I did this swap on my  37 Panel and it went in virtually untouched.

Funny thing about scale - I was messing with the current AMT 36 coupe on the weekend and grabbed both a 37 passenger car and a 37 pickup chassis to check things out.  The 37 pickup chassis fits happily under the 36 coupe, giving a much more modern tooling to work with, the 37 passenger chassis fits straight under the pickup but the 37 passenger chassis misses the 36 coupe by miles.   As they are all essentially the same chassis but designed in different scales in different decades, I would put it down to scale tolerances. there is a minor difference between some combos but a major difference between others.

To further muddy the waters, the old Monogram 40 pickup chassis is a good fit under the 37 passenger car and vice versa if you want a simple factory swap.

Photos below are - 37 Tudor under 37 delivery, 37 Pickup under 37 Convert, 37 delivery completed, 40 PU under 37 Tudor, 37 Tudor under 49 pickup. AMT 36 coupe compared to 37 Pickup.

Cheers

Alan

IMG_1321.JPG

IMG_1322.JPG

IMG_1318.JPG

IMG_1299.JPG

IMG_1298.JPG

20210807_104147[1].jpg

That’s great information Alan, thanks! It really gives me a lot of ideas on some upcoming WIPs dealing with 36 Fords, plus the ability to swap chassises with none left over. Cheers Misha

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 8/21/2021 at 5:56 PM, carrucha said:

Nice to see this kit reissued!

Agreed. I think I read earlier today here on the forum somebody mentioned they saw it at their LHS, so it should be available for all very soon.

Nice pics of two built models from Hobbysearch.com:

Revell37FordPU3.jpg.5fe8e4c096f9e9bca1d5ee0d38ec53c9.jpg

Revell37FordPU4.jpg.1102f6bc1cfe4ebb2c6b249e219111dd.jpg

Revell37FordPU1.jpg.647b4c2e114c34282aa95ba10fb9adb0.jpg

Revell37FordPU2.jpg.98d6619e2dbefaecf02359893f09f897.jpg

On 8/11/2021 at 12:49 AM, alan barton said:

...Sure, it would be nice to have a pure 38 pickup but seeing as how the grille and hood is the hardest part to create, I am happy for the parts they gave us  and will put the time into converting the fenders and other details. 

For those who are still wondering, the 37 Ford coupe/convertible/Tudor chassis fits nicely under these pickup/van fender units.  I did this swap on my  37 Panel and it went in virtually untouched...

Regarding swapping in the '37 1/24 car chassis...it fits pretty much everything out there in 1/25 from both AMT and Revell, 1935-1940. I put one under an AMT '36 ford. Works well.

Regarding making a '38 truck that actually looks like a '38, it's some work, but entirely doable.