Model Cars Magazine Forum

Distinctive Motors- what's on and off the bench for 2006

Brian Fishburn

Big year- finally started building the shop I'd planned for a few years. The original idea was a two sided diorama (interior and exterior) made from foamboard, with styrene sheet glued on for the surface. BIG MISTAKE.

IMG_1631-vi.jpg

The exterior made it to almost finished before the problems started shwoing up. It's still presnetable, but I have majoradhesive issues. I was never able to get the interior panels smoothed out, the exterior panels have curled a bit, and they curl BAD out in sunlight. The answer is to redo the whole thing, this time as two separate dioramas. The new interior is under way, and in primer stage, as of today.

IMG_1634-vi.jpg

I decided to paint a couple of figures up to be Klutzy Katie, the shop girl, apinter, and eyecandy for posing with the finished cars. I dreaded figure painting, but with the help of Ken Hamilton, I found that I not only no longer dreaded it, I loved it. I may have gone a bit overboard with the different Katies, but they're too fun.

IMG_1633a-vi.jpg

And, there are more versions on the bench, too.

IMG_1632-vi.jpg

We finished four projects at the shop this year.

P1050074-vi.jpg

IMG_0124-vi.jpg

IMG_0234-vi.jpg

Note the curling of the styrene visible really well in the photo.

IMG_1438-vi.jpg

We also have two in progress right now. The surf wagon hasn't seen much work with the holidays and a wife graduating nursing school. The Coupe Devil has recieved mtor work, with the carb linkage and ignition completed just today.

IMG_1626-vi.jpg

IMG_1629-vi.jpg

Here's to a productive 2007- Happy New Year, all!