Model Cars Magazine Forum

63 Pro Mod Vette.......Updated 09/28/14

1320wayne

Here are a few pics. of one side of the decals/graphics completed, minus the hood scoop, which will be painted white with a couple of added decals to that. I zoomed in on a couple of more unique logos that I found online that fit right into the whole outdoors theme with the Mossberg logo and the Stihl Dogs and Logs comp. decal. The camo pattern is continued onto the rear of the body underneath the rear bumper. The bumpers will eventually be painted silver, by hand, but that will happen after the clear coat.

I also installed the wheels, front and rear, that will be used on this build. They are Pro Track aluminum slot car wheels with the seperate anodized beadlocks for the rear slicks. More detail will be added to the tires at a later time.

DSC08314-vi.jpg

DSC08322-vi.jpg

DSC08318-vi.jpg

DSC08315-vi.jpg

DSC08316-vi.jpg

Wayne,

The decals you printed look great and really tie into the orange nicely!

What brand/type of clear coat will you be applying over the decals?

I haven't decided yet which clear I'm going to use. I usually use Dupli-color clear lacquer but lately I have been experimenting with either two part urethane sprayed through an airbrush or a new clear glaze that I stumbled upon at Michael's that works well over these homemade decals.

• 4 months later...

Just found this build-up today & checked out the full build, the paint looks awesome Wayne, really like the camo decals,it's really too bad that Chris had to shut down TEM, I had just found him before his first move to help take care of his mother & had ordered a few parts (nitrous bottles, nitrous fuel cells, the 3&4 speed transmissions & the blowers), I had to wait awhile before he was able to send the parts, but the wait was worth it, the parts are great looking & so highly detailed for such small stuff,and just before he closed down for good I had ordered the Firebird body & a hood scoop, oh well. Can't wait to see the chassis when it's done, Keep up the good/great work!

Wayne, could the bleed through on the graphics have been avoided if the camo and logo were all on one decal? If it could have, I can put images together in Photoshop for you.

Dave, these decals that I am creating for my own use are real simple inkjet decals with no graphics programs on my computer. I am not in the market to spend big dollars for any fancy software (which would allow me more versatility for designing) and I am having plenty of fun doing this as simplified as it is. Thanks for the offer but I'm good with what I have access to and figuring out any issues as I go.

I haven't decided yet which clear I'm going to use. I usually use Dupli-color clear lacquer but lately I have been experimenting with either two part urethane sprayed through an airbrush or a new clear glaze that I stumbled upon at Michael's that works well over these homemade decals.

I'm curious about the glaze that you found at Michael's. I tried an acrylic clear over lacquer that had dried for several weeks. I got a great result after rubbing it out. About a year has passed, and I recently noticed that the clear is cracking. I'm in the market for a non-urethane clear that I can spray over anything that will not take a month to dry.