Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vellejo Primer peel...

Hi all,

Just wondering if I could pick your brains please, has anyone any idea why this is happening please...: -

Challenger1.jpg

I was starting to sand it down but for some reason the primer just wants to peel off, surface was fully cleaned down etc before hand...

Thank you in advance for any help...

I would also suggest you use isopropyl alcohol and clean white paper towels for your final, pre-primer cleaning. I haven't had an adhesion problem since I've started religiously using those, even on 200mph 1:1 aircraft. Just a tiny bit of oily contamination can play the devil with adhesion.

I agree absolutely with Art.....self-etching primer will help on metal. A word of caution though....it's way too hot for a lot of currently available polystyrene kit plastic.

I would also suggest you use isopropyl alcohol and clean white paper towels for your final, pre-primer cleaning. I haven't had an adhesion problem since I've started religiously using those, even on 200mph 1:1 aircraft. Just a tiny bit of oily contamination can play the devil with adhesion.

I agree absolutely with Art.....self-etching primer will help on metal. A word of caution though....it's way too hot for a lot of currently available polystyrene kit plastic.

Both true and untrue! I've used self-etch primer (Duplicolor, if my memory serves me right) on a couple of diecast models that were converted using styrene model kit body panels. Of course, I airbrushed it rather than using the rattle can.

Art