Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lake Speed #15 QC Thunderbird

MarkWelby

Wow, Mark! You are a brave man, sir! I would have never attempted that one with "kit" decals. That turned out beautiful! If you do not mind, can you tell me what blue you used up top? That looks like a shade I need to investigate for a future build. Thanks for sharing this one with us, I may have to double check those decals in my kit up on the shelf. B)

Believe it or not I found that color at Home Depot. It is Rustoleum Navy Blue shot out of the can over Tamiya White Primer. I usually air brush all my models but lately have been experimenting with spray cans. My wife doesn't like the sound of the compressor so the spray cans let me get some work done with out scheduling around her. If you trim the decals close the fade will show through the hood. The fade was done with the air brush as well as the top of the rear bumper red (testors guards red). the hood was testors grabber blue.

Edited by MarkWelby

Thanks for the tip on trimming the decals and the rustoleum paint. Maybe it's the lighting but that Navy Blue looks close to a Royal Blue to my eye. I will have to pickup a can of that to add to my paint stash. I love Rustoleum's Cherry Red! Again, nice work on this one, Mark. I see that you also posted it up over at Randy's!