Model Cars Magazine Forum

Raymond Loewy - Father of Industrial Design

Casey

The Doodle:

raymond-loewys-120th-birthday-ca-fr-us-n

One of Loewy's best (and most well known) iconic designs ever:

1953_Studebake.jpg

53hardtop.jpg

* Yes, I know the '53 Studebaker Champion Coupe and Starlight Hardtop designs came out of a 3-man team, but Loewy was the head, inspiration, and final word on the output of that team. It was his commission from Studebaker that resulted in this timeless design. It has long been known as 'the Loewy coupe.'

* Yes, I know the '53 Studebaker Champion Coupe and Starlight Hardtop designs came out of a 3-man team, but Loewy was the head, inspiration, and final word on the output of that team. It was his commission from Studebaker that resulted in this timeless design. It has long been known as 'the Loewy coupe.'

That is one of the most beautiful American cars ever produced in any era by any manufacturer. And think of all the abominations that Studebaker and Packard issued that were based on this car, thus negating Loewy's original.

I noticed one of Loewy's designs is a Google Doodle today, and it turns out today is his birthday, so if you're into Studebakers, coke bottles...

Actually the iconic "Coke-bottle shape" of the Coke bottle wasn't designed by Loewy... but he "tweaked" the design many years after the fact, and many people think that he designed it. But that bottle shape was already in existence before he was born.

He's talking about the fact the doodle is configured to spell out "G-O-O-G-L-E," which came into existence long after Loewy's existence was discontinued.

So, the doodle was drawn in the Loewy spirit, but was not drawn by Loewy . . . unless he's got some really heavy duty timewarp connections with the Chief Designer Himself.

But, I know you already knew that. B)

What on earth are you talking about?

PURE Industrial design goes..........

PRRT1D-vi.jpg

PRR T1 4-4-4-4........the S1 was more Buck Rodgers but the T1 was built in numbers and worked for a living. The S1 was a single display loco that didn't run on 90% of the tracks in the US......

But this Lowey design is my all time favorite....cars included.

Loewy was one of the most influencial designers of the day. Another one who had far reaching designs was Brook Stevens. Just an awesome man. Everything from common household appliances like toasters and vacuums to high speed trains like the Hiawatha trains of the Milwaukee Road...everything from the train itself to the passenger cars and observation car and it's iconic logo. Also the Miller high Life label and several Studebaker based racers and the Excalibur car. Did the designs for Willys do Brasil too.