Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model car boxes (different then the other post)

chevyfever2009

I don't really do it that much,but I have before. I recently picked up the Pete Brock BRE 240z that had a half built kit just for the soul intentions of the vintage box and decals. It's a pretty cool box, now if only I had it's sister kit the 510.

post-8818-0-43461500-1384261678_thumb.jp*Image borrowed from Worthpoint*

They collect them as art. It's yet another way to enjoy the hobby.

That's me. So far I've bought 5 old boxes at an average of $10 a pop but it would be many more if I had a deeper wallet.

Of course I would rather get the whole kit but then it would get really expensive. This Little T is a good example:

20e374b9-fd42-4c68-9227-80a749bfb83b_zps

I also keep the nicest boxes when I've built a model.

I have bought maybe a half dozen boxes. All of them were cool old box art, and pretty much the product of opportunity. I saw them at a show cheap, etc. The one I actually bought on eBay was the original 1968 release of the Revell '57 Nomad kit. You know, the Nomad beach scene. I took it to GSL and had Bob Paeth sign it for me. Now one of my treasured possessions.

That's me. So far I've bought 5 old boxes at an average of $10 a pop but it would be many more if I had a deeper wallet.

Of course I would rather get the whole kit but then it would get really expensive.

Sometimes the box art is the best part of the kit, like the Revell '56 Ford Pickup I recently bought. Great box art, but the actual model, not so much.

Yeah, I've asked that same question myself many times. Since I'm not really a "collector" it never made sense to me why anyone would pay outrageous prices for an empty box. Now I have a few old promo boxes from the ones that I've rebuilt and maybe some day I'll sell them on EBAY.

I think some people buy them because they only need the box to "complete" the kit, and if they're going to re-sell it, it has more value to them if the box and all the parts are sold together. Sometimes the most difficult part to find is the box itself, as so many are crushed, drawn on, torn, faded, split at the corners, have glue and paint spilled inside them, etc.