Model Cars Magazine Forum

Made me laugh

I bought the revell 79 camaro and when I looked at the instructions for the race version I had a big laugh. Like some guy is going to run a blown 350 threw a stock exhaust with a cat converter. I know a lot of hours use solder for headers and pipes. I priced some the other day and it's not cheap! A guy like me who learns through mistakes would probably waste a lot of it until I got it right. It looks like an expensive learning curve. Do you guys use anything else for exhausts? Something a bit cheaper? For those guys who use solder am I right in guessing you use the rosin core stuff? does the acid core have a negative effect on models after time?

I've been working with .060" iron tie-wire (baling wire) for 1.5" headers. It's really cheap. Tougher to bend than solder though. Also having good results with .095" aluminum welding rod (because I have it in the 1:1 shop) for the rest of the exhaust system....it will polish up like stainless if that's what you want. Naturally, being solid, neither of these collapse when you bend them.

Acid core solder only has a negative effect on whatever is soldered. It's NOT to be used for electrical work...primarily it's used for plumbing.

I've always used solid core solder, but it can be a little hard to find. Do not use acid core, the stuff will leak out and affect any painted or chrome parts. Trust me, I know. I've heard others that have used "armature wire" from a craft store like Hobby Lobby or Michaels, it's in the floral dept. I think.

The easiest solution is to just use a set of headers from another kit.

I use evergreen styrene rod to build my headers, .060 for small blocks and .080 for big blocks. It does take some practice,but well worth the effort IMO. Another option would be to find a set of headers from another kit. Maybe put up a want ad?

Interesting topic. I've read some other threads that mention using solder for the exhaust pipes and I would like to see this in action. Would someone who has done so please post some pics? I'd also be interested in seeing how the solder and armature wire looks as a exhaust pipe. Thanks!

Edited by Daf57

I"ve also been wondering about using solder. I've got a large roll of solid core solder. I think it would be the perfect size for 3" exhaust. I was wondering if you guys did something to connect the headers to the flanges at the block, or mufflers. I would assume you could just heat it for a second and connect it.

I was also wondering about using solder to make a roll cage/roll bar, could you cope the solder and heat it to connect the pipes, or do you just glue it?

Thanks guys!