Model Cars Magazine Forum

1979? Mustang

crazyjim

I think this is a '79. It's the Revell Hot Rod Mustang Street Machine kit that I painted with HOK cortez blue pearl. The kit comes with a turbocharged 4 cylinder engine - not good enough. I installed a 427 SOHC engine with a Fatkidd distributor. When mocking the engine, I didn't try the fit of the hood and so ended up cutting open the hood. When I find a decent scoop, I'll add it to cover the distributor and velocity stack.

006.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

• Like 1

Nice build; looking forward to seeing it once you get the hood revised and completed. Did you use parts box tail-lights on this build, and if so, where'd you get 'em? I seem to remember the Revell kit-supplied tail-lights being a real weak-point in this kit, and yours look very good... too good to be the kit-supplied parts!

Thank you for the kind comments. I'll change it to 1981.

Mark - the taillights were molded to the body. After painting and clearcoat, I took fine brush and laid down 3 coats of Testors taillight red metallic. When dry I went over the high spots with a black indelible marker.

• 3 weeks later...

My apologies, I just saw this.

I just wanted to say...Nice build !

I was going to use those wheels on the one I built, but went with Wanntanabes instead.

What chassis and exhaust did you use?

If I were you, I'd sand the hood flat, (well sand off the rest of the molded in hood scoop ) and use a Boss 429 hood scoop.

Hope that helps.

Or just send it to me with a sample of that paint and I'll take care of her for ya (LOL)

Edited by Abell82

Thanks, Anne. The kit has a turbo charged 4 cylinder with the exhaust molded in the chassis. I didn't feel like cutting everything out so I just used the aluminum rod connected to the 427 SOHC headers. I forget the exact size of the rod but it comes in a spool in the floral department of Hobby Lobby. I can get the gauge for you later when I get out to the shop.

It's 12 gauge floral wire #1186-49M. There's 5 yards in the roll. The back says distributed by Michaels Stores, Inc., so I might have got it at Michaels and not Hobby Lobby.

Edited by crazyjim

the rear end I a capri rear valence I know because I am constructing several of them at once! I've got in the works 3 famous variations of capri a crimson cat a black cat and the "white lightning" t top car version very nice build so far I also have some mutt foxbodys going on as well scratchbuilt my own experimental body kit tonight looks promising also worked on my mad notchback for awile

• 9 years later...
2 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Thanks for posting Rex.  I like the looks of the GT Enduro and the McLaren.  My question is how did air get to the radiator?  

That’s a good question.  There are not of images online since only three were ever made.

C5994A75-C651-4788-B8BE-CD68319054B6.jpeg

55582ECA-E1B1-4998-8A12-592A2128C3B8.jpeg