Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peterbilt 359 from AMT kit

Spent about an hour and a half last night assembling the already started engine. Unfortunately, I had glued one of the heads on crooked all those years ago, so I'll just have to live with it, as it's absolutely welded into position. I'll strip off all the chrome, then paint as needed. (This'll probably be a "hood closed" sort of display piece anyway, so I'm not going to fuss over the engine too much.)

359e_zps4f283de9.jpg

Edited by Roadrunner

I had no idea that it didn't tilt. That makes my life easier though, doesn't it. I'm just hoping for a decent finish, and something to set on a shelf. If I'm able to pull that off, I'll be a happy camper. As important as anything, will be to complete a 40 year old project,... that'll make my day.

most of the peterbilt motors back then were painted white from the factory,supposed to make it easier to find the oil leaks. Harvey

Yes Peterbilt had mostly white engines up to 1984...even the Detroit Diesel's...that's quite funny tho' as the Detroit Diesels are known to leak oil almost everywhere. :rolleyes:;)

Edited by Force

Yes Peterbilt had mostly white engines up to 1984...even the Detroit Diesel's...that's quite funny tho' as the Detroit Diesels are known to leak oil almost everywhere. :rolleyes:;)

Very true , but you would rarely see one that had not been rattle canned or repainted by the owner. Nobody liked white engines.

Kevin, first your a luckily one to still have have the kit from 40 years ago that you had started! I only have one of my built builds from 40 years ago. Your truck build is looking good so far and looking forward to see your progress. Have you decided on any colors?

Kevin, first your a luckily one to still have have the kit from 40 years ago that you had started! I only have one of my built builds from 40 years ago. Your truck build is looking good so far and looking forward to see your progress. Have you decided on any colors?

It's a kick for me too, I can tell you that. To finish this after starting it all those years ago, will be totally cool. As to color, no decision has been made yet, but probably one form or another of blue (my favorite color) or orange/black.

Interesting. While doing some Google searches for engine shots, white came up frequently. Thanks, fellas.

Both Peterbilt and Kenworth had white engines, Kenworth had them until 1975 and Peterbilt until 1984 as I said...but I have seen white engines on pictures of trucks newer than that and engine factory colors on trucks older than that, so there are exceptions to the rule.

Caterpillar was appearently the last manufacturer to deliver white engines to Peterbilt.

I will for sure follow your progress on this build.

I bought this kit myself a little while ago on an auction site...in fact I had to buy two as the first one I bought wasn't what I thought I was bidding on.

When I got it home I eagerly opened the box to look and found...the T-501 and later 359 1100 cab kit in the old T-500 box...so someone had changed the content and I had to take it up with the seller and he didn't argue and gave me a discount on it.

I still wanted one so I ended up buying another shortly after and that had the right kit in it...and I have managed to find one each of the three old T-500 based kits for reasonable money, one T-500-500 California Hauler, one T-500 California Hauler (this one) and one T-522 Wrecker.

The main reason I wanted them is that I think the "small window" Unilite cab Peterbilt trucks are very cool, and that when Round 2 broke the news that they found the old T500-500 359 tooling they said the sleeper and visor from the old T500 kit wasn't usable or found..these things can be found in resin tho', Auslowe has the visor and AITM has the sleeper.

Edited by Force

Making hinges for the T500 359 is not difficult, but can be a bit tricky so care is required. Interestingly I am just in the process of building the AMT T501 Peterbilt 359 (1100 series cab) which has hinges. I extended the fenders at the front because the kit ones were too short and then found that the hinges don't work. So I ended up making hinges for this one as well.

Edited by Old Albion

I built a few of these and made the hood tilt. Cut the tab off the bottom of the grille . Take some styrene or some scrap plastic pieces drill a couple small holes 2 pieces one on each side of the backside of the grille. either drill the front of the frame rails or 2 more drilled pieces one on each side glued to the frame rails and you now have a tilt hood! I use a nail or a piece of wire to go thru the holes

Edited by pete3522

Very cool stuff, guys, and the engine information is great to have. I may or may not (probably not), add hinges.

I just received this yesterday, 40% off at Hobby Lobby, but I won't touch it until after this one is complete. .

70001_zpsad108a58.jpg

Edited by Roadrunner

• 5 weeks later...

Bad news; the sleeper was glued together so poorly, that much rivet detail was being erased while sanding the joints, so I've just went ahead and sanded the whole thing smooth. Hopefully, the absence of all the rivets (I have no intention of trying to replace them), won't adversely affect the overall appearance of the truck. (I really need to get my light tent up and operational.)

slpr003_zpsda6282a0.jpg

For the most part, the el cheapo oven cleaner has done its work, and the majority of the chrome is now gone. A base coat of white lacquer now seems in order. (I doubt I'll do much besides paint it up a little, no wiring or anything, as I've decided to anchor the hood in the closed position.)

359engine1_zps0ce8d475.jpg