Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Been watching this one on the edge of my seat. So re-freaking-diculously awesome I can hardly contain myself. It truly makes me want to to do a large scale pro mod. I love the pro mod look to begin with but this really gets me going. Very nice work sir!

Anyways, if you are concerned about that gap, which I doubt I would, I say it depends on much "stuff" will be hanging off the front of the motor. Can you separate the two plates? Maybe sand or fill the back side of the front one a little? Just my opinion. I'm certainly no expert lol. Again, I doubt it will be too noticeable once complete. Then again, the rest of this car is going to be so amazing it just might get noticed! ;)

Chris,

One solution would be to use Tamiya surface primer which you could brush into the gap

or you could do the same thing with the primer you are using I would use capillary action to

fill the gap and try to pick spots that are easy to clean up. You might want to try this

out with a test case to figure out how much to thin the primer and the best way to apply.

I do not think putty or ca would clean up that well.

Hope this helps

bobthehobbyguy.

Dave.... thank you.

Clint... Thank you for the kind words. I know exactly what you mean about Pro Mods. I love them too. I have one that I would like to start in 1/16th scale but need to finish this and a couple other builds before I get to it but. I do have to tell you that I think once you do a 1/16th scale build that you will get hooked on them, They are a blast to build.

John... Thanks my Big Brother!! I may just be able to get some paint on it this weekend B)

Bob... I had never thought of that and may have to try that some time. I did try another solution because it was before I saw your reply. I have to agree that with you that I don't think ca or putty was the right choice for this.

I did a little more work to the block by trying to fill that little gap I wasn't happy with when I glued the timing plate on :angry: but I think it looks ok. just hope that when I go to sand the block down everything looks ok and that I don't have to add anymore primer. i am ready for paint on this block... :lol:

DP-Army-Vega4017-1_zpsdd483d18.jpg

Bob.... thank you. You are gonna laugh at this one. I ended up using micro scales krystal klear white glue.i painted the white glue into the gap and them came back with a brush that I dipped in water to smooth the glue out. Wasnt sure if it was gonna work and think it turned out ok.

Mike...thanks man. Now the block is finally ready for paint ;). Well with the exception of a lightly sand or scotch brite before painting. Now I will be working on the valve covers.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Dave.... LOL, I think I forgot that gasket....haha ;). I can't wait til I have the engine done to share with everyone.

Art.... Thanks Brother!! I appreciate you following along.

Well guys I decided to do a quick test shoot with the aluminum for the block. I am using Alclads aluminum Part number ALC-101. I sprayed it over the gray primer and have to say not sure if I am 100% sold on it yet. I had scuffed up the primer with some scotch brite and some fine paper (1000 grit). I think I am going to be reshooting it with a black base so it helps the Aluminum pop a little more. Let me know your thoughts on it.

Here is the block after it was painted. I can see some sand scratches in it and I can't figure out why. I am wondering if it is because this pain is so thin:

DP-Army-Vega4021-1_zpsa46eb652.jpg

DP-Army-Vega4023-1_zps8f2500a6.jpg

I had to add the heads to get and idea of what it will look like with the color contrast. I should of added the copper gaskets to it too but didn't :lol: :

DP-Army-Vega4024-1_zpsc553aadb.jpg

DP-Army-Vega4026-1_zps2ca99afe.jpg

DP-Army-Vega4027-1_zps9fe3450c.jpg

Chris,

Engine block looks good. However I think you need to do a test spray over black and compare with the reference of the engine. Also you need to consider that the block doesn't need to be glossy. In addition you may need to use a light black or smoke wash to make the block look more realistic.

What you have so far for the engine looks great.

Bobthehobbyguy

Scott.... Thank you. I can see some of the sand scratches with my naked eye but its on surfaces that the manifold and heads go on. And I notice them with my optivisor too lol. You are probably right that no one will really notice.but I think it would look much better over a black base.

Dave.... Yeah I should of tested this first on a spoon. Alclad is pretty easy to shoot. I have enjoyed spraying it just some colors I m not sure if I need to lay a black base down or not.

Dave.... Thanks...it is sweet to finally see some color on the block but I do have a couple do mods I still need to do on the block.

Bob... Thank you sir. I never really thought about adding a light black wash. I was trying to figure which Alclad aluminum that have would represent the look of machined aluminum the best...lol

Chris,

Yeah the wash helps to give a little more depth if you look at a real engine there are shadows that do not show in scale.

Do you have any good reference shots of the motor out of the chassis. The one shot in the frame is hard to see much of the block.

I think that might help with the finish.

Hope this helps.

bobthehobbyguy

Bob... the only pics of this actual car that I have are the ones that are on the Snake racing Website page under his collection and it doesn't have any what I would call real good close up shots of the engine. I wished I had some shots of this motor outside of the chassis because I know it would help like you mentioned. I appreciate your help as well.

Gabriel... Thank you, I also have to say that I do agree with you that the block may have too much shine to it. After you mentioned that the block looked a little duller in the pic. I went back and looked at a couple of the pics I have with the engine and I can see you are right that it doesn't have a big shine in them. I was debating on shooting it with Alclad's Dull aluminum ALC-117. Here are the aluminum colors I have from Alclad:

Aluminum ALC-101

Duraluminum ALC-102

Polished Aluminum ACL-105

White Aluminum ALC-106

Dull Alminum ALC-117

Airframe Aluminum ALC-119

Here is probably the best shot i have of the engine block color:

Army-34copy_zpsbf5462b8.jpg

Here are pics off Alclads website on what the colors look like:

wing_zpse11f6831.jpg

tail_zps7088b0ed.jpg

nose_zps483be773.jpg