Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 Oldsmobile built like 1:1

Futuramic LE

I took pictures today of my build. I have been working on this off and on for 2 months. I posted 1:1 pictures a while back and was bothered by the Revell front end, grille, bumper, scoops etc. So I took the grille and front bumper off an Ertl '50 Olds sports bank I had since 2000. When installed the hood was too short so material had to be added. The bumper is separate on the Ertl so it can be moved to the proper location. The scoops below the headlights were cut off the Revell kit and trimmed and inserted into the body like it is on the real car.
I painted the body Boyds Dark Green Pearl over black then Testors clear. This is very close to my real car Black Emerald off an'87 Olds. This was a struggle for me as the Boyd paint went on very orange peely so heavy sanding necessitated another coat. Still marginal but the testors clear was wonderful. I almost left it with out rubbing out but i did it anyway. One tragic move was applying a Miguiers Final cut cleaner to the green and it ate right through to the white. Worked like paint remover. I often read the forum looking for ideas and techniques which was very helpful as I have not built a model since the '70.
The engine was converted to 3 carbs and finned valve cover as on my 1:1. the carbs are tie wrap ends and the air cleaners are fuse ends. The wire I used are too fat! I made them up with 24 gauge but 28 or 30 is what I think I need . I put the car together with screws so I can remove the body and frame again when necessary.
The mag wheels are off a '32 Ford roadster Revell kit and the front tire of of the Ertl bank.
I start with my 1:1 car.

http://s120beta.photobucket.com/user/Lbewing/libraryModel%20finish%2050%20Olds

post-10975-0-96197300-1361902246_thumb.j

Real nice...both the 1:1 and the 1:25!

And am I the only one who is thoroughly entertained by the screws? Seriously, the irony there brought a huge grin to my face. :D

Gluehead,

Thanks for noticing! My experience is these modified cars are never done. The engine is coming out for better wires. The mags will be replaced by another style, thus the screws! Even the frame is screwed on! Just like the 1:1 it will change.

Larry

post-10975-0-80808800-1361945489_thumb.j

How to make the 50 Olds Revell kit look more like the real thing.

Above left is an actual correct 50 Olds. On the top left is the model pictured on the box which is an actual built model with some minor retouching by the mfg..

Below is the same picture modified in Photoshop by myself. See below for the five things I did:

1) Lowered the OLDSMOBILE letters and the hood world closer to the grille. 2) Recessed the under the headlight scoops into the body. 3) Added a license delete plate

4) recessed the hubcap into the wheel and added black in center, 5) Narrowed the whitewall and lowered the front slightly. Also the mirror is in the wrong place, SlB on door post.

I built this kit but I used the grille and bumper off an Ertl bank 50 Olds which looks better, recessed the scoops etc. (See first page)

But those who dont have access to the Ertl grille and bumper these suggestions may help get a more realistic look. I plan to build another stock and do the all above. Futuramic LE

post-10975-0-75840500-1362459649_thumb.j