Model Cars Magazine Forum

SCREAMING YELLOW ZONKER

GrandpaMcGurk

Ummm... Nah...

Aww shucks...you don't like the goofy face Adam?....how 'bout if I tweak it little......

Afacenmo027.jpg

Just kiddin' pal, I will be using the shell (NO EYE BALLS) but the mask will be white and there will be a black hood and cape that I'm going to try to flow back to the fire wall before the paint goes to screaming yellow.

Afacenmo028.jpg

Now is as good a time as any to stick this cut down metal block together. Being it's butt joints and the chunks are pot metal I'm going to have to strenghten the joints a bit to prevent future cracking. Here's some pics of what I did.

Block pieces tacked together with CA.

Afacenmo006.jpg

I cut some strips of thin aluminum to cover the seams.

Afacenmo008.jpg

Mixed up and spread some JB weld (quick set) over the seams and imbedded the aluminum into it while still wet. Before it dried I smeared some more epoxy over everything.

Afacenmo010.jpg

Same procedure for all the seams inside the block. Ain't pretty but it's strong and it'll never see the light of day again once the block is closed up.

Afacenmo011.jpg

I sprayed the block with textured paint to give it a cast look. I wasn't after the color...just the texture.

This particular paint has a texture that isn't so coarse that it looks way out of scale.

Afacenmo020.jpg

Afacenmo021.jpg

Yellow of course........

Afacenmo026.jpg

Now I'll have to fab up some heads, intake and a trans.

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

Here you go pal.......

The chassis on the right is straight from the can......the one on the left was textured and has been washed with flat black and a little of that wonderful stuff they call "patina" added.

Your call....I do believe that with a little care it would make for a pretty realistic bed coating in small scale.......ya think?

Azonkstuff009.jpg

Azonkstuff010.jpg

Azonkstuff012.jpg

Got a little off topic there but that's what modeling forums and clubs (in my mind) are for.

I'm sure someone will say that should have been a how tip...not stuck in the zonker thread.

Well spank me and send me to the corner.....as far as I'm concerned, if I post my way of doing this or that in this thread and anyone want's to know how I did it......please feel free to ask.

Back to the eye candy......... part of a 1/6th water pump cut down, added some bells and whistles and this is what came out.

The inspection cover was rough shaped from Ren Shape along with the body of the 4-speed trans, that odd looking bit of white plastic will be the mechanical clutch lever........we didn't have juice clutches back in the day.

Azonkstuff001.jpg

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

Aww shucks...you don't like the goofy face Adam?....how 'bout if I tweak it little......

Afacenmo027.jpg

Just kiddin' pal, I will be using the shell (NO EYE BALLS) but the mask will be white and there will be a black hood and cape that I'm going to try to flow back to the fire wall before the paint goes to screaming yellow.

Afacenmo028.jpg

I'm still not very fond of it. May be because I don't like the scream movies, maybe because this makes otherwise very Roth'ish Build too... Well serious, but in a strange way. Like everything else though.

Btw. Cast object OT #2:

Try this once, take Revell glue (the one they call Contacta, so the real stuff that "welds" plastic together, or for that mater, any glue that does that) and an old quite hard Brush (can eben be one that you already destroyed with paint or whatever) that you cut off the hair at about 5 milimeters off the metalflange. Then coat the "to look like cast" part with the glue. Wait of few minutes until the plastic gets soft and when that's the case just bang' on that bit with the brush holding it in about 90 degree angle to the surface. You can also try the other side (the wooden stick) here and there. After you did that over the whole thing, let it dry, and after a coat of laquer you can sit down and congratulate yourself on the amazing cast metal plastic thing you got there.

Edited by Mr.Zombie

Ha, I don't like the "Scream" flicks either....but the "Scary" spoofs that came out afterwards jingled my bells.

Your stipple technique sounds like the bomb and I'll give it a try but for this weird one off build the one shot rattle can will accomplish what I need it to. Thanks for the tip.

You should try it out on some old stuff anyhow. That technique is simple, gives maginficent results (because you kind of carving into the plastc, rather than adding stuff), but it needs some practice. especially how much glue, how fast, how whatnot to achieve a controlled result.

Cut down the kit oil pan and intake manifold, put a flange on the inspection cover...still have to add bolt heads to all this stuff.

I had to indulge heavily in the fudge factor when it cam time to cobble up a tail shaft for the trans. It had to have the speedo cable opening, a cross member mount and a pad to mount the shifter and linkage on...problem was that if I made it any where near as long as it should be....I'd have no real estate left for a drive shaft.

Anyway, what I wound up with is the stubby little tail shaft in the pics.

ASCe002.jpg

ASCe003.jpg

ASCe005.jpg

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

• 2 weeks later...

Some of you old timers may remember that "spatter" paint they used to use (back in the day) in the trunks of production vehicles.....after rough sanding all my cuts and seams, I thought I'd try to to simulate it on the inside of this goofy Fiat.

ASYZbod002-1.jpg

Man, I hate sanding......anyway here's a few shots of the body....she's getting' close to being ready for paint.

ASYZbod003-1.jpg

ASYZbod004.jpg

ASYZbod005-1.jpg

ASYZbod006.jpg