Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

I'm sorry to see/hear about what happened to your bottom panel, Chris. Like all of you have said, I wouldn't have supposed it would have done that. Changing gears, to the subject of degreasing or cleaning, Chief Joseph told me that the FUD material can be soaked in acetone to remove the wax that is left on the surface after the printing process. I have tried it, and it does seem to work. I didn't leave my parts in for an extended time, probably no more than an hour, but it seems to have worked well. Donilee and I are both interested in history and the sinking of the Titanic. That lower panel sort of reminds me of what the surface of the steel plate on the Titanic looks like after having been submerged for 100 years at the bottom of the Atlantic... I'm sure you'll be able to make the replacement fit as well as the original, but I understand the frustration.

The purple stuff is hard on metal, it eats away model chrome in a jiffy...so fast that the chrome plating dissappears before your eyes...and as the plating is a thin coat of vapourized aluminum one can imagine it's not that good to use for removing paint on most soft metals.

It also takes away the underlaying clear coat , it just takes a bit longer than the actual plating, so it's perfect for removing chrome plating from model parts.

Hi Chris,

This thread is just amazing. I really enjoy your sharing of the creation of the 3-D parts you are using. That is something I find fresh and new . It is what makes getting online so cool, learning something new and watching it happen.

That is terrible what happened to the floor pan, you seemed to be on a roll. Hope it does not slow you down too much.

Randy

Danno... and you are just telling me that now buddy?? :P I guess I never got the memo before LMAO :lol:

Scott.... Thanks brother.... OH man that is some great news about cleaning the was off the FUD material on the 3D printed parts. I am going to try that one some of the others I have to see how it does. I think I have some in my garage. If not I will pick some up at Lowes. This little speed bump won't stop me, I will just have to spend a short amount of time remaking the new tin. just glad I still have my template and all I will really need to do is cut the material out bend it. The hardest part is going to be getting the mounting holes drilled in the correct location....lol

Hakan... I sure learned my lesson on using the purple pond with metal. Althought I am going to a sample test by putting a pieces of aluminum and brass tube in the pond to see what it does. I think it may be cool to be able to use that technique to use for a diorama or some sort of weathering. I learned from a dear friend years ago to use Ammonia to remove chrome off chrome plated parts. it seems to work pretty good and doesn't take too long. but I will try the pond as well.

Randy.... Thank you for the kind words about this build. I really have been enjoying sharing this build pretty much step by step so everyone can see how I am doing things. I have to say I am pretty fascinated with the 3D printed parts and being able to create parts that aren't available so eventually I will make them available on Shapeways but before I do I want to get them proved out first since I have had a few features not print correctly or should I say left off... lol for example on my injector hat for the blower it left off some of the holes for the injector lines and the butterfly shaft. and I believe the reason is because I made the hole to be .016" and I think its a limitation of the printing machine. so I will have to open some of them up to .020" to see what happens the next time its printed. I don't think the floor pan should slow me down too much hoping it will only be a 1-2 hour fix is all.

Guys stay tuned. .... I should be getting to the bench in a little while but I need to finish some house chores first than am hoping to break out the air brush to paint a couple of engine parts.... ie..... fuel pump, fuel shut off valve and the tee fittings. will post pics of them when I get them done.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Fellas... I have finally gotten back to the bench now that Christmas and New Years is past us its time for quick update. I have started to fix the chassis tins. I got the side tins stripped and read for primer as well as I got the blower sanded again and a quick coat of primer, which reveals more sanding in my future...lol. Anyway gonna be a weekend that I pretty much will be building for most of it. Hoping to get some good progress this weekend. Here are some pics...

Well here are the side chassis tins and the brake lever. I tossed them in a jar of lacquer thinner to strip these. Now just a little sanding and they will be ready for primer:

DP-Army-Vega6282-1_zps2bf2ee26.jpg

Here is the blower once again. Last night I spent at least and hour and half just sanding this part. What tedious work...lol:

DP-Army-Vega6283-1_zps6b675fbe.jpg

I got the fuel tank reprimered after installing the supply port. only to notice that I have a little more body work on the thing:

DP-Army-Vega6288-1_zps7df107fe.jpg

After all of that sanding on the blower. Once I primered it thought it would be good. But no... More sanding in my future....lol I think I am gonna be sick of sanding this one part very soon... hahaha :lol: :P :

DP-Army-Vega6293-1_zps88108ec9.jpg

John... Thanks Brother. its feeling good getting back to the bench.

Tim... Thank you so much.

Brad... Thank brother. yeah they were a little better than expected. Just had to do a little sanding to them.

Mike... Thank you so much my friend. Happy New year to you too.

Paul.... Thank you so much on that. I do have to say some of the clean up is tedious from Shapeways but would be easier if I didn't have all of those nooks and crannies to sand in....lol. I never knew which type of technology that shapeway uses But I know the Frosted Ultra Detail is UV cured. I do know someone with a Labforms printer. I may have to talk to him and see if I can have him print me a part to check out the quality from it.

Danno.... HAHAHA :lol::lol: I think you are right that it got stuck with the rest of the spam...

Hakan... Thank you.

Randy.... Thank you. Yeah the sanding can be a drag but all of the hard work on prepping it will pay off when its time to paint it. Its not hard sanding it but more rather that I am folding pieces of paper up and using my tweezers to hold the paper to sand. Think I need to come up with a better method

Dave.... Hey its great to hear from you. Thank you. You know I have to be honest that I never read the label on the super clean. I have had no problems with it when I have stripped plastic parts. but its a lesson well learned and hopefully with me posting what happened it will save anyone else stripping aluminum parts...lol

Dave.... That would be awesome to have a miniature media blast booth...lol.... Maybe I can just borrow Mr. Teresi's little minions and give them some sand paper to sand away. Although I have heard that they can be expensive to rent.... hahaha

Ok Fellas... time for a little update on a few things. Did a little work over the weekend. not as much as I was hoping though. Anyway I will just show the pics...

I started messing with some colors for the transmission blanket. I picked up some Vallejo paint from Hobby Depot which is a local hobby store I get most of my supplies from. These were the colors that were painted right from the bottle to see how they looked. I picked up some black and white that I will tint to get the right shade I am looking for:

DP-Army-Vega6304-1_zps9455fa72.jpg

This is the same paint with different lighting. I definitely need to do a custom mix:

DP-Army-Vega6307-1_zpsb355e3f2.jpg

I got the tins primered over the weekend:

DP-Army-Vega6309-1_zps978b4723.jpg

Here is the backside:

DP-Army-Vega6312-1_zps5dfce1b0.jpg

And for a sneak peak what I have been doing since I got home from work, I will show a few more pics later when done:

DP-Army-Vega6314-1_zps2f667978.jpg

Chris:

Wow - lot's of lessons learned from this phase for sure. I think God may be telling you not to be so hard on yourself with the blower casing though! I found Purple Pond hard on plastic as well, but it was my error. I had originally build and painted the McEwen '57 Chevy stretched flopper and shot the body metalflake lime from the Testor's "One Color" line just to be different as I'd heard horror stories of the decals in the kit and mine was a purchase of the original, not the new re-issue. Once nearly finished, I disliked the color and ponded it off. After that, I tried to mask up areas for the bumpers and go for the original red; however, my can skills aren't all that good and I can't afford a gun kit. After the 3rd try, the pond solution had softened up the plastic it was unusuable.

Luckily, am73grand came to my aid and we found the mid 2000's Avenger body style of Densham, Lee, etc models fit my '57 chassis perfectly. This is even with some mods on my part where I grafted an insanely large 3 hole pro-mod hat and blower onto the stock engine build. It's primed and waiting to be painted one of many choices I have.

Your effort is looking top-notch and I hope you make a 12/31/2015 deadline brother!

Mitch

Chris, I tip my hat to your never ending pursuit of true replication / perfection. I never would have thought about the color of the trans blanket to be honest. I'm especially jealous of the fact that I see paint and an air-brush in your post. It's 24 degrees here. UGH! And your tins look good too. Cheers, Tim

Mitch... Thank you for the kind words and you are right that I don't need to be beating myself over things...lol. Sorry to hear about the body on your funny car.

Tim... Thank you very much for the kind words. I guess I was trying to capture every detail I could to make this look like the replica with trying to match colors for the transmission blanket. Oh wow its very cold for you guys there. It was about 65-70 degrees here yesterday when I sprayed my parts. I wanted to paint a week or two ago but it was in the 50's and tool cold to spray.

Ok Fellas here are some pics that I didn't get uploaded last night on the parts that I got painted. Here they are:

DP-Army-Vega6318-1_zpsf65d4294.jpg

Here is the fuel pump. The body is Alclad steel and the cover plate is House of Kolor BC-25 black base:

DP-Army-Vega6319-1_zps00861771.jpg

Here are the fittings. I sprayed them with HOK orion silver base and then with Tamiya clear blue:

DP-Army-Vega6325-1_zps750bfabd.jpg

And as usual I had to mock the parts up snap a few pics:

DP-Army-Vega6329-1_zps77d9df3d.jpg

DP-Army-Vega6332-1_zps924d4587.jpg

DP-Army-Vega6334-1_zps61ab7908.jpg

Chris..........I just mad a "BIG" doo doo in my pants..........and it`s all your falt :wacko: ..........now I`m afraid to look at anymore of your up-dates........because,I might make another doo doo in my clean pants :blink:

At least you have minions to help with that. Can I borrow a few?

Chris, I knew you remembered how to shoot more than primer. IMPRESSIVE. lol