Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Chris - I really don't know what to say, I've completely used up my entire vocabulary of positive adjectives on this build and the engine still needs paint. Just know that I'm watching and drooling at every post. Now I need to go drink some more water. :D

Yikes Chris!!....Been awhile since I checked up on your progress....STUNNING workmanship to say the least....I think the stencil idea on the rears is a good one....Can you elaborate a bit on what your technique would be to achieve that faded, worn "GOODYEAR" logo so it is not a bright white or yellow color and has more of a "used" look??....Assuming that's what you would be going for....I always use decals on tires and aside from clearing them w/ flat clearcoat, it's hard to get them to look like anything other than bright white decals....Thanks and keep it going!!

Hey Chris, must admit I don't usually follow drag car builds ( more of a low n` slow kinda guy ! ) but ive caught a couple of builds on here that blew me away ! Yours and the Henry J build are just amazing, stunning attention to detail, I have to look twice at some pics to see if its the real thing or your model !! But what keeps me watching is your motivation, to recreate everything so accurately, and redo things you don't like ( I do this a lot, im my own worst critic...) ...... Lovin all the 3D stuff, and its cool to see how good these various aftermarket bits look on a build like this.. Make room for some trophy`s when its done mate , this thing`s awesome ........ Lowlife ! !

Chris, that's a hellova way to find the downside to using the "purple pond" mate. :(

If it had happened to me, it probably would have led me to "shelve" it all until a much later date.....never to be seen again. :mellow:

Which is what sets you apart mate, your determination and will to keep this great build going....in spite of said set backs, you kick on and make things right. Champion! :)

I'm LOVING the anodized fuel fittings too, they look sweet mate. ;)

2 x thumbs up bud!

Hello Fellas.... I have to apologize that I haven't gotten any progress pics up lately. I have been doing a little bit of work and some of it is boring to really show. I have been pretty much sanding and re-primering parts.... chassis tins, fuel tank, fuel tank hold down strap, and sanding on the blower for hours. Hoping to have the blower in final primer today. Anyway thanks for following along....

Hans.... Thank you my friend. I apologize I haven't been getting a whole lot of updates posted lately. I promise there will be more soon.

Brad... Thank you for continuing to follow this build. I know it has taken me way longer than I expected. I will be honest at times I feel I have been getting burnt out but I will not stop on this build until it is finished...lol. I have too many other cool builds I want to start and waiting on this one.

Mike... Thank you. You know I always enjoy when we get to talk. And as you mentioned it is nice to be able to bounce ideas off one another.

Lee... Thank you for checking in on this build. So my idea to actually achieve the faded/worn Goodyear logo will be to paint the good year with a white or off white acrylic color. Actually I am considering painting the whole tire with an acrylic black..... then I will lay the template down and add the Goodyear logo in either a bright or off white. I will then come back and add a wash/dry brushing of a color or two to achieve that worn/faded look. I am sure I will have to test it out on a spare tire first but I think it will look best trying to make the tires look a little worn and not brand new. I have to admit that I got the opportunity to watch my Big Brother John Teresi weather a set of tires once and his technique was pretty simple to say the least with some paints from Michaels. That man has some serious talent for sure.

Kevin.... Thank you. I have learned to have even more patience with this build. I do have to tell you that you need to try one of these 1/16th scale builds some day. I have been bitten by the 1/16th scale bug and love this scale. I have to admit that I don't think when I originally started this build that I was going to go this extreme with this build. I knew I wanted to push my self and try to build it to a level of detail that I have never achieved before as I got farther along I guess I continued to push myself farther and I wanted to prove to myself that I could do a very highly detailed build. I know not all of my builds in the future will be at this level but trust me I will always add some sort of detail to them.

Buzz... Thank you for the kind words.

Scott... Thank you. The tin work wasn't as hard to redo as I was thinking. I am hoping to get it painted soon now.

Jimmy... Thank you. I feel I have been making some progress but some of it seems to be slow to me because I have felt that I have been hung up on a few details but I am almost past the hurdle. One of things I am so tired of working on at the moment is the blower. I have been sanding it and sanding in hopes that I will be able to shoot the last coat of primer today so that it will be ready for paint.

Dave... Thank you. I am happy to have the tin re-work behind me now. Now I can't wait to get them painted. I need to wet sand them and then think they will be ready for some paint.

Martin... Thank you. I appreciate you stopping into the drag racing section and for the kind words on my build as well as Tim's Henry J build. Tim has some serious talent for sure. It blows me away at the detail in 1/25th scale he is doing. You have hit the nail on the head when you talk about us being our own worst critics. I do this to just about every part I am working on since I am trying to make it look as accurate as I can. Sometimes my problem is that I see some of imperfections under my Optivisor which is not really seen with the naked eye...lol. The 3D stuff has been fun to play around with and was glad that it has turned out as nice as it did. I can't wait to have this one finished this year.

Stump... How's my Aussie Mate doing? Its great to hear from you. Yeah that purple pond lesson was one learned the hard way and I hope others won't make the mistake that I did as to why I shared what happened to it. At the moment it happened I did sorta want to put the build on the shelf but I wasn't going to let that small hurdle stop this build. I am so determined to get this thing done this year Hopefully sooner than later. I can't wait to have more paint and parts ready to assemble. I am also anxious to get the body work done on the body so I can get some paint laid down on it.

Ok Fellas... I wanted to share with you some progress that I have made on this since last week. Feel I am making a little headway.

I got the blower sanded and primer added. I now think I just need to do a final sand for paint:

DP-Army-Vega6378-1_zps93d641ef.jpg

Here is the other side:

DP-Army-Vega6381-1_zps19ef13ff.jpg

The Back:

DP-Army-Vega6383-1_zps6b8dc062.jpg

Here is the Chassis Tins all blocked out and ready for paint:

DP-Army-Vega6387-1_zpsae3b2a9c.jpg

Now here is what I did tonight. Although at the moment I am not 100% happy with how the paint laid out. SO I am contemplating on sanding the tins a reshooting them again.......

DP-Army-Vega6393-1_zps7549eeb3.jpg

Here is how the tins turned out. Seems it has a different look and I don't know if it was because of how I shot it but this was the first time using the Hot Rod Flatz paint. It is a Urathane that is mixed with reducer and hardner and it is supposed to give you that Suede look. Not sure if I put a little more on than I was supposed to or if I should of been shooting it at a certain pressure. But here is how they turned out:

DP-Army-Vega6395-1_zps6d917fcb.jpg

DP-Army-Vega6396-1_zps39fc3ee3.jpg

DP-Army-Vega6397-1_zps720e6487.jpg

Now I didn't want them to have a high shine but I didn't want them to be a flat color either. I was hoping that it would of been a little like a satin finish:

DP-Army-Vega6401-1_zps54fe3f86.jpg

Well here is the gas tank strap.... I was not happy with how this one turned out at all and it will get repainted. I added a third coat to see if I could fix the previous one and well It didn't work...lol:

DP-Army-Vega6416-1_zps96f0f536.jpg

The front of the strap.... Looks like garbage...lol :

DP-Army-Vega6418-1_zps6b182ead.jpg

Top of Strap:

DP-Army-Vega6423-1_zps3ff51f9d.jpg

Here is a shot of the whole Car:

DP-Army-Vega6429-1_zpsbafacb42.jpg

Here was the look that I was going for on the chassis tins:

Army-27copy_zps98e57f5b.jpg

Army-27copytest_zps7eaa69b2.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Chris, to my old eyes, I'd say you got the "shade" just about spot on mate.

As Joe mentioned, I'd now be inclined to try a semi-flat/gloss or a satin clear topcoat, just to get the sheen you're after. As long as a top coat clear doesn't react to it... :unsure:

Aside from that, the blower looks amazing after the sanding and clean up. Might have to look at one of those myself eventually.....

Nitpicking......you gonna add the "arc" on the side panel for the steering arm movement? :o ;)

Looks GREAT buddy. :)

Good Morning Fellas... well I took at look at the Hot Rot flatz website... actually TCP Global and I found out that they have a chassis black that is a satin color. I originally ordered the hot rod black which was more of a flat. I am going to order a quart of their satin black because I think that will look better and achieve the finish I am after.

Henry... I am going to let them dry for a few days and then sand them down and repaint them.

Joe... I have thought about spraying a satin clear over it. But after seeing that the hot rod flatz has a satin color I am probably going to go that route and order the satin black they have. Reason being is that it is a urathane which is reduced and has a hardner/catalyst added which will give a durable finish for handling. My plan was to make it out to the NNL West show. Right now I am trying to figure out if I can afford the trip. Between the flight, hotel, rental car, boarding facility for my dog. It would cost me a lot more than I was expecting for an over night trip almost double the price I was thinking.

Greg... thank you. I am happy with the shade on the tins but like you say I don't know how a different brand of clear will react over this paint. I do have some satin clear from alclad but I believe it is a lacquer base. Thank you on the props on the blower. I am happy with it now. Other than I know I need to final sand it so it is ready for paint. Also wanted to let you know that I will adventually make the blower and these parts I have designed avaliable at shapeways and it won't be hard at all to have it in a few scales.

You know I thought about adding that arc on the side of the tin bit I may just space the steering arm a tad farther out. I have redone these guys enough...lol

Danno... thank you buddy.

Robert... Thank you for the kind words and for following along on this build.