Model Cars Magazine Forum

So if you had a choice of paint brands which would you pick?

I like Testors One coats and Modelmasters lacquers for the bodies.Most of the Time I use Either Duplicolor Or HOK paints. For the Interiors and chassis I usually use testors bottle paint. Tried Tamita paints a couple times threw them away as I got terrible results from the can. I did try decanting them and shot through my airbrush and still didn't like the results. Have gotten better results From Testors Rattle can enamels.

Since I started using Tamiya and other laquers, I won't even think about buying Testors enamels again. Model Masters from Testors is a good paint also. Make sure you read the label before you buy. Some of them are laquers and some of them are enamels. I've made that mistake a couple of times.

Edited by plowboy

I've had lots of success with Tamiya - especially the rattle cans. The acrylics airbrush fantastic too. I have trouble getting a decent result from Testors cans. I consider them junk and don't buy them anymore.

I do have a choice and choose Tamiya always!! Well, I do use other stuff occasionally but they aren't worth mentioning. Tamiya's line of TS/AS spray cans and their little jars of acrylics are all I need. Be it from a can or airbrushed, Tamiya paints provide exactly what I want.

Mostly depends on what my subject is and what paints are available and a match. My first choice is always Tamiya ts sprays. Also use Testors laquers. I'm done with Testors enamels, have no use for them anymore. I also like to use MCW, HOK, Cobra Colors I still have some of. I would like to start trying Scalefinishes some day also.

Choice of color depends on what I'm doing. I use them all for one thing or another to include Dupli-Color and Krylon sprays.

Heck, I also use Oil paint from the tube. When drybrushed on upholstery it gives it a great sheen once it dries. A brown pinpoint wash made from oils and mineral spirits also makes engine, interior and chassis detail pop out!

Edited by Scorpius1

Tamiya for rattle cans and their bottled acrylics are good for painting small items but I've only had middling luck trying to airbrush them(could be my prep?).Testors bottle paints can be good for detail painting,the metalizers are very good.Testor's sprays come out too thick no matter the type.

The best brand is whatever brand you get the best and most consistent results from. Try some other brands and learn their quirks and you will be fine. I use mostly Testors from the can, I've tried auto touchup paint but the finish is always lumpy and needs a lot of wet sanding. I like Tamiya paint but it seems to need a lot more surface prep before painting, it doesn't hide imperfections as well as Testors. Just buy some cans or bottles and let the paint fly, see what works for you.

....With me just coming back recently to the hobby,all I really knew was Testors Enamels for the most part,but now there's the Testors lacquer which compared to the two I love the lacquers...I haven't even broke out my air brush because I like them so much,never had the pleasure to use Tamiya sprays yet and for the first time used their bottle paint on my last build and really liked the results....Harry P. showed using cheapie acrylic paints from like Michaels for various shades of colors for interiors n such which I have tried and like the results and its like $.50 a bottle...can't go wrong there!!!

As everyone knows , my vote goes with the bottled Testors enamels . When cut with cheap laquer thinner and shot through an airbrush , they really have no peer . I also use the Metallizer line exclusively , both bottle and spray can .

I like the Floquil laquer line when it comes to

weathering , I have also used other laquer lines without any problems .

If you know your product , develop a system to use it , and follow it to the letter , you'll eventually master it !

I like the Tamiya spray lacquers but I have had a rough time finding any lately. I was at Hobby Bench out here in Arizona which is a well stocked hobby shop and the Tamiya rack was just about empty. The owner said he was having trouble due the the fact the paint was not labeled correctly and could not be shipped into the US. Anyone else having trouble finding any ?

I dig HOK, but for factory colors...MCW. Have not used Scale Finishes yet, would like to. I also gotta try Donn's method, done it on some military stuff, so what the heck!! Donn, you got some AWESOME finishes with that!!!

I dig HOK, but for factory colors...MCW. Have not used Scale Finishes yet, would like to. I also gotta try Donn's method, done it on some military stuff, so what the heck!! Donn, you got some AWESOME finishes with that!!!

D ,

It's a win- win scenario ! You come out of the gate with a shine that requires little , if any effort ! Add the gloss overtop of pearls or metallics and it further enhances the depth and richness of the color .

I recently used Testors flat and semi gloss colors with the Doc's salt method with outstanding results for my post apocalyptic Peterbilt build . The cheap laquer thinner is the key ingredient for the method's success !

I dig yer paint Donn, I haven't got your video yet, but I do get the gist of it. I'm gonna try that on my next build...a 58 Edsel. I did do it on my Hudson , the interior. It was sprayed with Testors leather cut with laquer thinner...sprayed out real smooth!! ;)

Grayghost,

House Of Kolor is really very easy to mix and to use.

Just follow the Tech Sheet.

Primer, BaseCoats, ColorCoats, Candies, Intermediate Clear and Urethane Clear will all use the same Reducer.

Candy and Clear each use their own Catalyst.

Lacquer Thinner for flushing your gun and cleanup.

Just follow the mixing ratios and you're fine.

After you paint for awhile you'll be mixing paint by eyeballing it.

CadillacPat

Normally I'm pretty used to using lacquers, I like the way they lay on and dry quickly, but I live in Florida and blush is aproblem. I just got Donn Yosts video and will likely try switching back to enamel bottle paints like he uses and see how it goes.

Edited by Jantrix

Well Tim, CadillacPat sounds right...I buy HOK in 4oz bottles that are ready to spray. They have " kits '' you can buy...like 5 or 6 in a set. It's been awhile since the last time I got any...hopefully they still have that option

The problem for me is the type of modeling I do. O K , I'll elaborate . I build a lot of diorama and very old cars that generally were built years before Metallics, pearls and translucents were invented . I also like the convience of spray cans too. Testors One coat Laquer is very nice for the colors i've used thus far . Tamyia has a Maroon thats a dead on match to Ford Motor companys Manderian maroon . Duplicolor makes a good , easy to use primer . Ed Shaver

Edited by Eshaver