Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building my Grail. Scotty`s Mufflers 55 Ford on the bench

I can`t think of a better way to get back on the bench after a looooong hiatus from building than to build my holiest of Grails. The Scottys Muffler shop version of Monograms 55 Ford pickup, which I believe is also the original issue of this body. Circa 1977.

I`m allready a ways in, with the body in primer and the frame and driveline done but it`s still got a few steps to go. A couple minor mods to accent the build have been done but other than that it will be a box stock build done to the best of my abilities. It`s been over a year since I worked on anything and 9 months since I have been able to get my head in gear to be able to build, so to start with this one feels immeasurably good.

My original post on buying this so you know how much it means to me.... http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80234#entry1024069

Enjoy............

SDC10864_zps8839e421.jpg

SDC10863_zps76523044.jpg

SDC10848_zps00d274d1.jpg

SDC10859_zps04b73118.jpg

SDC10858_zpsc9a0143e.jpg

Edited by A.R.C.

It's coming along nicely, Adam.

I remember reading you story regarding this kit, and unfortunately I think I traded the kit I had right before you posted it. I saw two of these (this one and the red Stroh's version) at a swap meet for $10 each, and bought one from which to steal the beautiful Torq Thrust wheels. ^_^

I never figured out why Monogram decided to add a Mopar K-member and longitudinal torsion bars to a vintage Ford pickup, though. :unsure:

Thanks guys. I got the Yellow laid down yesterday and will be doing the clearcoat today. I`ve never had any luck painting yellow and dont want to jinx myself, but this so far has came out flawless and I `m really happy.

• 3 weeks later...

Well.... I jinxed myself. I goofed up on the box and it had to spend some time in Lake Castrol so things took a little longer than I wanted to get to this point. I was able to finish the paint this past weekend and couldn`t resist putting the tailgate decal on. I cant wait to get the rest on the decals on, the decals are one of my favorite things about this kit. I went with a brighter yellow than the school bus yellow of the plastic. It turned out pretty decent and is BRIGHT!! I`m happy with it.

SDC10865_zpsa2b54e67.jpg

SDC10866_zps5254b976.jpg

SDC10870_zpse87dd771.jpg

First, congratulations on finding a complete grail kit @ such a reasonable price. That's the dream most of us have.

Second, a couple questions: What's the secret for applying black & getting results like you did on your air cleaner and valve covers? Is this done with enamel or acrylic?

Thanks Monty. I got incredibly lucky finding this one. When I saw the price and that it was still sealed, I couldn`t get my wallet out fast enough.

The way I do the Valve covers is to first strip the chrome off of them, about an hour in SuperClean works well. After that I BMF`d the top of the valve cover around the fins. After the BMF is done I spray the valve cover in 2 light coats and the let it dry overnight. The next day I lightly sand off the paint on the fins and lettering using 800 grit paper. The reason I strip the chrome first is that I find the chrome is much thicker than the bmf and you will get much more detail and a better result by doing it this way. That and you will get a better paint finish when you spray the bare plastic rather than the chrome.

For this job I used Krylon Bbq Paint. I really like the way it works. It`s very black and dries in a nice sheen, it covers well, dries fast and you can get very nice coverage in 2 light coats, its also inexpensive and a can lasts forever.

Hope that helps

DECALS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldnt resist it last night and had to finish the hood. They actually went on quite well for 37 yr old decals, Id be lying if I didnt say I was nervous about it. Not too far to go now and the old girl will be done.

Seeing as how it is a shop truck I figured it needed some dash decals

SDC10837_zpsaf50a7fe.jpg

SDC10835_zpsb0d172e6.jpg

SDC10833_zps7f9fee05.jpg

SDC10832_zps51b0f1f4.jpg

Thanks guys.

Teddy, I cant even put into words the love I have for this truck and what it means to me to be able to build it again as I tribute to my Nephew so many years later. I honestly didn`t think I would ever be doing this.

Carl, the color is a Krylon Fusion color called Sunshine Yellow. It`s BRIGHT!

Finally got around to dealing with the sidepipes. I wasn`t too keen on using them because I just didnt like the way they looked and was thinking on what other type of exhaust to do and then it struck me. I didnt like the exhaust outlet, they were to small and just blah looking with no depth. So I fired up the Dremel and fixed them...now I can sleep at night :D

SDC10832_zps7729732d.jpg

• 9 months later...

Thanks James. Its actually finished!! For a while there I was beginning to think I`d never get it done. Now I just have to wait until the work week is over and I get to see daylight again so I can take some nice outdoor pictures. Winter makes me feel like a Vampire.