Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 First Gear 1938 International pickup

jeffs396

Here's a new First Gear 1938 International pickup, in 1/25 scale. Non-opening hood and a so-so chassis IMHO, but the proportions look right against 1:1 reference pics. These are on sale now CHEAP at your local Tractor Supply and I think these will make a great hot rod project, easy enough to kitbash with a styrene kit such as the '37/38 Ford...

http://www.tractorsupply.com//ProductDisplay?categoryId=162&errorViewName=ProductDisplayErrorView&langId=-1&productId=236502&catalogId=10051&urlRequestType=Base&storeId=10151

Out-of-the-box pic:

IMG_24731280x808_zps09bb6004.jpg

And a quick mockup with some cool wheels/tires:

IMG_24811280x850_zpsa8c88ca7.jpg

Guess who's getting an inadvisably high number of these? (If you guessed me, you are correct.) B)

That was my first thought when I saw this post! Hope you save some for the rest of us Chuck!

Nice looking truck, have to pick one up and add it to the "to do" list!

" If you have the First Gear '36 Dodge panel, you have the wheels and tires for that panel........." by Chuck Most

The '36 Dodge panel (as was the '36 Dodge pick up and 4 door convertible) were made by Liberty Classics by Spec Cast and are 1/28 scale

Side by side this International is a lot bigger.

I have never seen a 1936 Dodge made by First Gear

" If you have the First Gear '36 Dodge panel, you have the wheels and tires for that panel........." by Chuck Most

The '36 Dodge panel (as was the '36 Dodge pick up and 4 door convertible) were made by Liberty Classics by Spec Cast and are 1/28 scale

Side by side this International is a lot bigger.

I have never seen a 1936 Dodge made by First Gear

There's a good reason you've never seen one- it's because you're right about it not being First Gear- as you mention the '36 Dodge is a Spec Cast piece, which I knew when I posted earlier, but for some reason my brain stuck on First Gear. :wacko: It is underscale, but I still think the artillery wheels would look presentable on the IH. Those wheels are actually the main reason I got the Dodge. I plan to find out how they'll look on the IH for myself pretty shortly.

Yep, those are a bit smallish Chuck...

How about these?

These are from the Danbury Mint '37 Studebaker pickup (with a cut-down IH hubcap), as compared with the combo that comes on the IH:

IMG_24921280x759_zpse3ddb0f6.jpg

Even the First Gear tire fits:

IMG_24931280x777_zps5daaca4d.jpg

IMG_24891280x861_zps2ea2f5e0.jpg

They are yours if you want 'em, two of the whitewalls are yellowed though. Just PM me your mailing addy and I'll get them out to you...

Oh, what about the artillery rims from the Revell '37 Ford pickups/panels???

Edited by jeffs396

Here's one of the main reasons I like redoing diecasts...as they say, nothing looks like metal like REAL METAL!

The raised detail on the grille is easily sanded and polished. Now after I strip the paint and it's repainted, I'll carefully remove the new paint from the raised areas and clearcoat the whole thing B)

IMG_24941280x1271_zps8839ae11.jpg

Edited by jeffs396

Are they still on sale? I was watching one of these on the bay but did not like the pictures. They are way more money plus shipping.

Yes Andy, just keep checking the link in the 1st post. They keep up the quantity not quite in real time, but at least every 24 hrs. I bought 4 (all my local store had) one morning and the next day it showed out of stock...

That's an improvement for sure. I have one of those '37 Studes but I'm a bit reluctant to tear into it, being it's still in mint condition. One of those mail-order nick-nack places sells a 1:24 Stude which appears to be a copy of the Danbury truck, or based on the same tooling.

Scored one! My local store had about 7 or 8 of them. Here it is with the Revell '50 Olds tires on it. They fill up the wheel wells a little better and they are wider. Wish I had an extra set of the pad printed wide whitewall ones though. Still need a 5th one for the side mount spare. I haven't decided yet what to do about the door tampo. I like the red and black on the truck, and the paint is pretty decent. I hate to take it apart and re-do the whole thing. Perhaps I'll try to remove the tampo. If I screw up, I can always decal the doors. And for the bed, I've been thinking about a load of International tractor parts that I can rust up.

IMG_2866.JPG

IMG_2867.JPG

Best way to strip one? Small screwdriver, a good, sharp hobby blade, and a little bit of careful pulling and prying. On the one I'm working on, the only problem I had was the retiner screw for the dash snapping off when I tried to remove it- no big deal, just glue it back in. I did manage to break the firewall and steering column while removing the doors- I'd suggest getting those pieces out before removing hte doors if you have to do that.