Model Cars Magazine Forum

51 Chevy padded top...

sbk

Killer kustom steve but why a caddie grill ? a nice 56/57vette grill would be a cool too. B)

those vette grille were really hard to find in the late 40's ! must be the reason :rolleyes:

Fantastic work Steve ! I've had the project to build one like that , Carl Abadjian inspired, for years ! :) This was an elegant area for kustoms ! you nailed it perfectly !! thanks a lot for returning to modeling...and kustoms ;)

Edited by Zed

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

The interior parts are primed & ready for paint. I'll do tuck & roll inserts made from acrylic paint like I did on my last 2 builds.

51_Chevy-09-08-13-2s.jpg

I polished the MCG sombreros & added a little color to the center PE piece. I still need to paint the whitewalls & the rim that is visible behind the wheelcover.

51_Chevy-09-08-13-1s.jpg

Almost ready for paint.

51_Chevy-09-08-13-3s.jpg

Edited by sbk

Klassic Kruizer !

Thanks for the update on the interior Steve.

Kool little detail work on the bottom of the dash.

I gotta learn your armrest/door handle technique.

Do you have a link for that?

Seen your work on FB , T.R.a.K. and now on Rik's Custom Car Chronicles.

Edited by Joker

Thanks!

Joker, I don't have any documentation for the armrests & door handles, but I make the patterns from styrene pieces & then make resin copies.

Here is the Chuck Easton method of making tuck & roll upholstery inserts. Squeeze some acylic craft paint into a mold made from a kit part with tuck & roll. Chuck gave me this mold, but doesn't remember which kit it came from. Another good source is the toneau cover from the AMT 59 El Camino kit.

upholstery1-s.jpg

Use a piece of cardboard or something similar to spread the paint out.

upholstery2-s.jpg

It doesn't really show too well in this photo, but the paint totally covers the mold. Put this aside to let it dry. Depending on the weather, I usually wait 2 - 3 days before handling it. Different brands & colors of paint have different drying times & some need to be thinned with water a bit before doing this.

upholstery3-s.jpg

This is what may happen if you pile on too much paint in a hurry. Air bubbles.

upholstery4-s.jpg

I make patterns out of cardstock & start cutting the "upholstery."

upholstery5-s.jpg

As you can see, it stays nice & flexible, very similar to real upholstery material.

upholstery6-s.jpg

Here are the door panel inserts in the primed door panels. The outer color will be a chocolate brown, not the greenish/tan color.

upholstery7-s.jpg

Here are the seats & the inserts.

upholstery8-s.jpg

Test fitting the inserts. Once again, for final assembly the inserts will be glued in with white glue.

upholstery9-s.jpg

Here is what it looked like when completed.

DSC_4259-2s.jpg

Edited by sbk

I love the tuck and roll. I remember back in the day, a guy that made tuck and roll from soldier. He made a mold and rolled it flat with a jar, cut it into strips and sealed the seams with white glue. The method with the paint is a whole lot cleaner. I love the pipping on the seats too, the knobs are a nice period touch as well. True craftsmanship.