Model Cars Magazine Forum

1978 Silver Anniversary Pace Vette

Scale-Master

Older Monogram original issue kit I intend to just build Out-Of-The-Box. It is molded in that hard high-gloss low-impact plastic from that era of Monogram kits. It had a few cracks that I fixed fixed with CA, and a few dings too, surprising to me since the plastic is so hard. They too were filled with CA.

The mold lines were not too bad, but there were some issues around the door lines and nose that needed extra attention, and the body needed to be blocked out over all.

The scuffed areas are the ones that required the most attention.

DSC09866.jpg

DSC09867.jpg

Can't wait to see the progress. As almost a strictly Corvette only model builder, I love seeing Vette builds. Got me a large scale '88 Convertible in progress as well. (Though with that one I'm a bit irked that a line I had filled many times and can't physically feel, keeps showing up). Looking forward to this one!

Looks like Monogram put a little more effort into their '78 than MPC did. Dashtop and windshield wiper tray are far more accurate, and Monogram even took the trouble to show the roll-up cover tarp in its retracted form.

Internet pics of builds also indicate that this kit features the more powerful L-82 engine, as opposed to MPC's base L-48.

I can't wait to see how you do the mirrored t-tops. Hint: for accuracy's sake, you'll need to show that they leak profusely in heavy rain....but I'm not bitter.

I wasn't planning on using the T-tops, I was just going to leave it open Monty, after all, it is Southern California...

The interior tub is one piece plus the seat bottoms molded in. I sprayed a bright silver lacquer base and masked then sprayed a lightly textured acrylic silver-gray mix for the carpet. The rest of the trim/details were hand painted by brush.

DSC09876.jpg

DSC09877.jpg

The engine/trans is a traditional two halves affair and rather simplistic and low on molded in detail. I textured the block and transmission but left the oil pan and timing cover smooth. The overspray on the bell housing is intentional; as is the seam I left on the trans to replicate the casting line.

DSC09878.jpg

I textured the heads and exhaust manifolds too, at different levels of coarseness.

DSC09882.jpg

It turns out the body was not as nice and smooth as I originally thought, not really bad, but lots of little imperfections that are hard to hide with silver or black paint. After several days of sanding-priming-sanding, I shot a base coat of Gloss Aluminum and a top coat of Mica Silver for the bottom areas of the two tone paint job.

DSC09883.jpg

I am really liking this one so far. I did not realize the Monogram kit looked so good. Very impressive. Well, until I got down to the carb. It will get covered though, so no biggie. Or I could just replace it. I like the interior co0lors as well. I remember sitting in one of those and that silver vinyl/leather.

Mike

Absolutley amazing work on the engine! Are there any P/E parts on the engine/tranny?

Thanks. But that gave me a little chuckle. You have to remember this kit was produced in 1978, PE was just beginning to show up in cottage industry moldels, (mostly as windshield wipers, pedals and wire wheels), it would be quite some time before PE made it into major production kits. This is a very simplistic kit.

I thought you had read the first sentence I posted stating it was an "Older Monogram original issue kit I intend to just build Out-Of-The-Box". OOB would negate adding any non kit parts.

I'll admit I thought you fabbed up the brackets for the alternator and the air pump since I couldn't imagine your mind allowing the existence of unsupported items as seen on most AMT/MPC engines. It just seems strange that Monogram would include that kind of detail & then do such a mediocre job on the manifold, which reminds me of Trumpeter's piece for the Falcon engine.

I also wondered if you had replaced the belts with something better. Did you just thin them from underneath?

To those who emailed me directly and those who offered public support, thank you.

Anyone who has questions about things discussed in this thread other than about the Pace Car are welcome to PM me directly.

I'll be glad to discuss it, but let's keep this thread on topic and going forward please.

The Dash and steering wheel are done…

DSC09912.jpg

And installed to the finished interior...

DSC09913.jpg