Model Cars Magazine Forum

2013 America's Most Beautiful Roadster Winner! Totally Traditional!

Wasn't that maroon a close to factory Ford color? I do know that you "could get the Model T in any color you wanted as long as it was black," but didn't they offer a similar maroon color in like '34, or something? (---Grammar nerd alert--- Please note the the apostrophe goes before the 34 in 1934, since you are abbreviating the portion of the number before the 34...)

Edited by Nate

It's all about individualism and nonconformity in America? God help us. I've seen more creative stuff in Poland.

This particular car is about craftsmanship and honoring a traditional build-style that goes to the root of the hot-rod movement in this country.

If you think it's not too good, that seems to be a perfect opportunity / motivator to design something better and build it. Nice thing about modeling is the freedom it gives each of us to express his own creative vision, affordably.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

If you really want to keep hyping those worn out shoes, stop pretending to be surprised that this hobby doesn't catch on with the youngsters.

That this backward thing got the trophy is a slap in the face for everyone who builds contemporary hot rods and proof that the award is now worth bugger all and nothing else.

If you really want to keep hyping those worn out shoes, stop pretending to be surprised that this hobby doesn't catch on with the youngsters.

That this backward thing got the trophy is a slap in the face for everyone who builds contemporary hot rods and proof that the award is now worth bugger all and nothing else.

Okay, I've got to come out and say it. You have morphed from a knowledgeable comrade on this forum to a person whose posts have become increasingly negative and unpleasant. What's going on?

Instead of criticizing, step up and show us all how it's done. Something good enough just MIGHT end up getting built 1:1 and winning the AMBR in the future. Let's see what you've got.

By the way...isn't your avatar just an orange '36 Ford with some traditional influences?

You are absolutely correct, Mr.Pamp. It is horrible and should NEVER have even been considered for the award, let alone win it.

I guess the judges happen to base their scores on clean craftsmanship and execution, attention to detail, and overall cohesive nature of the build instead of what happens to be the 'hot thing going' for this year/trend cycle. Shame on them for actually awarding fine work.

(Yes, I did type that with a cynical air..............the car is beautiful and deserves the win. Get over it)

Edited by whale392

i honestly dont see what your problem is with it christian, i kinda like it myself and hey this was AMBR at one time too:

leftfrontnice.jpg

so its gotta be an improvement on that after 50 years!

i like it and i like that color, its like a tobacco color. i think the whole thing shows admirable restraint while still preserving a look that has long since disappeared. yeah there might not be a lot "new" about it, but i like its simplicity and style. certainly havent seen anything from Poland to match it lately.

Interesting comments, some of us who saw it fell in love with it! Kinmont Discs, V8-60 with extremely rare Ardun heads, just a beautiful car.

Here's a few of my pics...

8415427217_39a6000302_b.jpg
012513 GNRS 048 by SoCalCarCulture, on Flickr
8415406831_d835d31f61_b.jpg
012513 GNRS 050 by SoCalCarCulture, on Flickr
8416523656_672f595925_b.jpg
012513 GNRS 047 by SoCalCarCulture, on Flickr
8421808987_0f34ca8809_b.jpg
012513 GNRS 355 by SoCalCarCulture, on Flickr
8422904528_4ca20546ff_b.jpg
012513 GNRS 355a by SoCalCarCulture, on Flickr
8422821700_f021247024_b.jpg
012413 GNRS 034 by SoCalCarCulture, on Flickr
8421728419_dd036501d9_b.jpg
012413 GNRS 035 by SoCalCarCulture, on Flickr
8421736157_58c8e02f8b_b.jpg
012413 GNRS 044 by SoCalCarCulture, on Flickr

I think it's simply exquisite, unlocking the kind of beauty you'd never suspect of a Model T. No Malmsteen-style wankery here; it's Cray or Clapton, not putting a single note wrong.

Love the color, love everything about it.

I agree with everything you said, Chuck. And the color reminds me of the Boyle Maserati- classic.

How many AMBR awards do you have on your mantle?? I'm willing to bet it's the same number of factory V-8 Thunderbird Super Coupes that were made. We silly Americans keep forgetting that the roots of hot rods are planted deeply in England. :rolleyes:

Even though I'm getting a little tired of the whole retro fad, this thing is gorgeous. What I do find strange is that many who love the retro feel of this car don't care for the period correct color.

Now before everyone jumps down my throat with that statement, I do think there is room for modern and retro rods and enjoy a mix of the both. The problem now is, if you build a modern rod you get looked down on because your not part of the current trend. Lets face it a tasteful well built rod is cool no matter what trend you follow.

Edited by Psychographic

It's not a car I would build and I don't really follow award winners. I do love that it is beautifly built and exicuted. I just don't see anything wrong with it. The attention to detail is just amazing. Did anyone else notice that the tires all have Firestone at the top. The ford logo is level on the hubcaps and the valvestems are all at the bottom. The paint color doesn't grab me but the shine and that color does not hide a thing.

The attention to detail is just amazing. Did anyone else notice that the tires all have Firestone at the top. The ford logo is level on the hubcaps and the valvestems are all at the bottom.

You got that right, Raoul!

That's excellent staging. (Although the guy who mounted the left rear was slacking that day ... he got the "Firestone"-valve stem alignment ever-so-slightly out of kilter.)

Exquisite engineering, exquisite build, exquisite staging. No wonder it's the AMBR winner.

• Love to see a kit version of this to follow up the Rat Roaster. :) Hey, maybe that could be a new kit series ~ "AMBR Winners."

PS: Are there any of those Ardun heads for a V8-60 in any kit or available from aftermarket?

Not really my genre, but I love the color and the interior color. Tires are too narrow for 2013, though. not sure about the 1:1 retro fad, though..shouldn't the hobby continue to evolve and move forward?

Mater said something that would work well here, "I don't need to know where I'm going, just need to know where I've been."

Never hurts to remember how things were done, but improve upon what was to bring it up to today's standards either. A few months back there was an article in HotRod about a vintage show rod called Sylvester, it had been lost for a while, but found in the last year and brought back to modern standards, but kept it's vintage feel and look, much like this AMBR winner was built!

Then

gary-kidwell2.jpg

and Now

sylvester%20III%20on%20display.jpg

And the HAMB thread looking for the history on the car;

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=658459

the Judges obviouly know what to look for, but i don't understand the red engine. color is understandably subjective, but i think it detracts not only from itself, but from the body color. the interior color is borderline. it's competing with the body, rather than complimenting it.

i do think it's is a beautiful ride as far as design & construction.