Model Cars Magazine Forum

Differences between W900 and W900b hoods

I want to build a Kenworth with square headlights and the Aerodyne sleeper. Are there any differences between the hood in the round lights Revell kits and the square light hoods ? Could I just putty up a square corner to the flat area where the lights sit and throw on some square lights with out making any more changes? Also, does anyone make a resin version of the Alaska hauler hood?

It's not just the hoods that are differend, it'a also the cabs. The AMT cab is a 1968-72 (give or take a little) while the Revell of Germany & Revell USA cabs are 1973-1982. If you want to do a W900B, check with Gary Wallace of GW Trucks (gwtrucks@yahoo.com). He'll be able to set you up with a resin W900B cab & hood.

I figured out what I needed to know. The P&P hood is a W900L, I have a Canepa T600 on the way that has the correct cab and sleeper. The B could be made from either of the Revell kits without too much trouble, the lights need to be moved up a quarter of an inch or so and a small piece would get added under the lights to replace the leading edge of the fender.

ch_kingsway_kw_w900b_cabano_trailer.jpg

• 6 months later...

There are many differences in the hoods alone, not to mention the cabs. The

"A" hood has round headlights, rounded fenders, a raised triangle on the top of the hood and the top has more slope to each side where it meets the grill.

The "B" hood has square headlights, more squared off fenders, a straight raised rib on top of the hood and the grill is more squared. These are just things I can remember off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure there's a few more differences.

• 3 weeks later...