Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finished big scale Rat fink T-bucket hot rod project

larman

This was a long term project which features a scratchbuilt rat fink and engine. The model is not a Big T, but it is actually an old toy called the Big Red Rod, by Marx toys. I bought a severely damaged example on ebay, and that was the start of this project, which took about 1 1/2 years to finish. -Larman

2007NNLEastpics034.jpg

2007NNLEastpics035.jpg

2007NNLEastpics040.jpg

DSC00290_vi.jpg

I never actually scaled it, I eyeballed everything that was scratchbuilt, and because it is cartoony it probably didn't matter that much. The length with base is 40". It is a big model! That was part of the appeal of the project for me. Now that it is done, storage is a bit of a problem! -Larman

When compared to a Monogram Big T ,the body is significantly larger.

Originally I was going to use one of those 1/6 Hemi dragster engines you can buy as a kit, but that turned out to be too small, so that is why I scratchbuilt the engine. It doesn't look that much bigger than a Big T, until you put them side by side. If I show it again, I think I will put a Big T with it so people will notice the difference. -Larman

BTW, I said the length was 40" in a previous post, that was a misprint, the actual length with base is approx. 32 ". The car itself is actually 2 ft. from front tire to end of turtle deck. The dimensions on my model are: T body- 9"wide and 9 1/2" long. T deck is 6" wide and just about 6" long. Rear slick is 5" in diameter and 1/12" wide. The Big T body is 5 1/2" wide and 6 1/2"long. T deck is 4" long and about that wide. Rear slick is 3 3/4" in diameter and 1" wide. You can certainly see the difference in the pictures.I just figured I would actually take a minute to do the measurements, since people seemed to be interested.....Thanks to everyone who has checked this model out, and for all the kind comments! -Larman

ratfink2007002.jpg

ratfink2007003.jpg

I saw a lot of your stuff there too, and I was really hoping to meet you actually. I really liked the Lindberg '32 Ford pu ( I remember seeing it posted in primer)! I think you also did that really cool old school chopper with the candy red tank ....It seems we build with a similar style, because a lot of the stuff that "struck" me at the NNL had your name on it! -Larman