Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is a "girls " car ?

This is a stupid phrase at best ... I see women driving all those cars that you all think are manly ... there are more women around here in trucks than men. And there sure are a lot of men driving all those Mini's and other cars labeled ar girls cars.

My daughter, for one, can drive a stick much better than I ... I'm lazy but she works it like she was born with a 6 speed in her hand. She appreciates all the handling and power cars have. No pink fluff for her when she had her senior prom . she drove my Porsche .. no "dumb limo" would do!

If I was held at gunpoint and forced to answer, all I could say would be a pink anything. ))

I've always found the 1994 - 1998 Mustang to be rather female-inspired . Practically every gal I knew --dates , friends-- all loved that "sexy new Mustang" . I found it to be so bland ! Well , at least FoMoCo did well with their SN95 platform ...

... V6 powered not withstanding ( ;) )

The overall package was an improvement versus the Fox Body (which I adore , by the way) , but its shell was too rounded ! By the 1999 model , and the more sculpted body features , all was good again .

Most non-classic VW's ( i.e. , Jetta , Passat , 1998-present Bug , Cabriolet , etc. ) are "XX" chromosome favourites .

Could the 1969 Hurst AMX be considered a "Girl's Car" ? One Shirley The Drag-On Lady Shahan piloted one quite successfully in Super Stock from 1969-1970 ;)

The wife has always been into classics and muscle cars. Her last was a 05 mustang convertible. She wore that out and since she needed a new car. We decided that since she needed a new car I got her a new camaro convertible. Luckily she likes bumblebees20141010_153722_zpse666a3a8.jpg

Edited by azers

I guess the first thing that pops into my head when I think of a girls car, just because my wife made the mistake of buying one from a friend when we were dating, is the Renault Le-Car! There's something seriously wrong with a car that shares it's engine compartment with the spare tire!! Steve

Subarus had the spares in the engine compartment too. The term girl car is insulting. I'm into the auto scene here in my town and I know a lady who drives a Viper. Granted it's the only Viper made with an automatic in it, but it originally was made for a disabled guy who sold it to my friend. This girl is all of 5 foot tall and drives that powerful car like a boss. Would you call Ashley Force's top fuel dragster a girly car? I think not.

The wife has always been into classics and muscle cars. Her last was a 05 mustang convertible. She wore that out and since she needed a new car. We decided that since she needed a new car I got her a new camaro convertible. Luckily she likes bumblebees20141010_153722_zpse666a3a8.jpg

Could probably say that about my Sister's new car too, but neither her or the car would probably appreciate that much.

20140531_204505_zps0lybqq6d.jpg

Edited by Joe Handley

Waste of perfectly good sheet metal. I wouldn't drive one of these death traps any faster than 35 mph, even if it would go faster than that. Steve

It's a homologated version of Renault's rallye car . Mid-mount turbo engine and mean as hades ! Its R5 Le Car origins are merely a formality :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_5_Turbo

Edited by 1972coronet

Well, here 'Downunder' most young girls drive 4 cylinders (Toyotas and Hyundis most popular) and moms drive 4WDs, Toyota Landcruiser, Mitsubishi Pajero etc. The really wealthy moms drive top of the range Landrover or Mercedes SUVs....seen the the occasional girl driving a V8......not many though LOL!

Definitely the Lexus ES sedans or RX crossover SUVs. They're all over the place here, all driven by women "of a certain age" generally at about 5mph under the speed limit while the right blinker endlessly flashes...

Somebody must be cloning those women and distributing them all over the country. They're everywhere.

Come to think of it, I see a lot of women driving Jukes too.

A smiling frog. How cute.

pinkjuke.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

2nd generation Ford Probe/MX6.

I test drove a 2nd gen. Probe, interested in buying it but I was literally tripping over my feet clutching & braking. Sales guy said the pedals were so close because women have small feet and Probes were somewhat targeted to them... to which my reply was, "how many women enjoy driving manuals?"

That said, how many times do we hear women enjoy the feeling of empowerment? That may be why most of women I know like sitting up high and feeling safe in big, bulky, SUVs.