Model Cars Magazine Forum

'71 Camaro...... 250 ci straight 6 details

Every Camaro I see on the 'bay is a big block, small block, or Z-28 (real or fake)

I need a refresher on what was under the hood of my 250 powered '71 Camaro. I took pics way back then but for some reason I never cared to show off the engine :rolleyes:

If there are no pics available I would gladly take some color suggestions :rolleyes:

I'm not really sure what your looking for Daryl, But if your building it stock I think the engine should be Chevrolet orange. Then you can pick out some of the details with Semi gloss and flat black such as the starter, Pullies, belts and hoses.

I also use different metalizers for parts like transmissions, alternators, exhaust and intake manifolds.

Also inner fenders, firewall and rad support should be semi gloss black.

Heres pics of my Nova 6 cyl that I'm working on right now.

If I'm wrong about the colors, I hope someone corrects me, But I think this should get you pointed in the right direction.

Hope this helps.

Ed

DSC01660.jpg

DSC01658.jpg

Oh yeah......that's pretty much what I'm after. In the dimness of my memory the engine was chevy engine red. I think the air cleaner was black and I'm pretty sure that the fender wells and firewall were painted body color.

I had dressed up the paint job with some stripes and I ran a set of Torque Thrust ET mags on it. That 250 six with the 2 speed auto trans was dog slow but it took me back and forth to school :P

I remember a trip to Kalamazoo a week after I got it. The engine started running rough at the K-zoo Burger King and when I went to take the air cleaner off the whole carburetor was moving around on the manifold! I guess finger tight was good enough on the assembly line <_<

I remember a trip to Kalamazoo a week after I got it. The engine started running rough at the K-zoo Burger King and when I went to take the air cleaner off the whole carburetor was moving around on the manifold! I guess finger tight was good enough on the assembly line :blink:

Actually, that was a common problem on the old Monojet Carbs on those engines. Trust me, I've owned a quite a few of them and still have one on my 1965 Nova with a 194 straight 6 and the 1969 Nova with a 250. The bolts that hold the upper and lower carb halves together are the worst about it! I actually carry an offset (kind of looks like a Z) screwdriver in the glove box of the '65 for when they come loose!

The fender wells were black on my '69, but the firewall was a mixture of body color and black when I got it from the 2nd owner of the car. More of an over spray than anything else as it had been re-painted once that I know of. The firewall and fender panels of the unrestored original '65 Nova I have are black.

Both of the engines are Chevrolet Orange and the air cleaners are black like was stated. The intakes are also orange, but the exhaust manifold is unpainted on both engines and is a nice shade of baked on rust. Both alternators are the natural metal color, but I can not remember what color the starters are on either of them.

If needed, I should be able to get a couple of pictures of the engine in my '65 Nova if I get a good enough break from the rain. Let me know if you want them.

Hope this helps,

-Scott H.