Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resin LS7/T-56 Crate Motor from VCG Resins-LS9 coming soon

I've had a couple of PMs and emails inquiring about an automatic transmission. The most current GM automatic for the would be found in the Revell '10 Camaro SS. I've got one that I've never opened so I'll hack the tranny off that kit and send it along with the T-56 six speed.

As far as exhaust manifolds go, the ones closest in layout to those of the 60s-70s with the four ports dumping into a common log that turns down near the firewall can be found in the Revell Silverado. One of the hands has a heat shield molded into it. I have not looked at the '10 Camaro SS manifolds to see if they are any better. The C5 and C6 mainfolds are kinda funky in where the flange turns down to meet the exhaust and I don't remember exactly what the 98-02 F-body manifolds look like exactly other than the didn't look right compared to the vintage manifolds. I'll do some digging and post pics for input from you guys.

Edited by LOBBS

Just got word from Manny at VCG that the master for the LS7 has finally arrived at his shop. As soon as the molds are a go I'll get up some pics and they'll be ready to take orders.

My wife's grandmother passed away this week so I've been tied up with family business. I will get the masters for the six-speed manual (T-56) and automatic trannies (6L80 from the '10 Camaro SS) out as soon as possible along with the exhaust manifolds. The trannies will be correct for not only the LS motors but also traditional SBCs and BBCs.

I just got off the phone with VCG. They had sent me some pics of the first parts out over the weekend but the email never made it to my phone. Everything looks good in the pics he sent me and he wants to get some better ones to post here. They will be ready to take orders on Monday the 24th so that he has some time to build an inventory to fill the first rush of orders.

After talking with him, they will be available as the full motor with a manual, full motor with the automatic as well as having the two trannies available as a stand alone item.

I'll get the new pics up as soon as they hit my inbox.

Kyle, is there a website or addy to order them from? Is he READY for a BUNCHA orders, or should I wait a few weeks? i KNOW how crazy things can get when a GOOD resin caster offers a GOOD product! I'm wantin a few for sure!

VCG's website is here. I know that the crate motor with the manual tranny is ready to go as I have seen the test shots. The automatic will be ready soon. He had me post next Monday as the official release date so that he has this week to build inventory and be ready.

http://vcgresin.atspace.com

I almost forgot. There were a couple of guys that asked about exhaust manifolds and these from the Revell '10 Camaro SS I felt were the best option of all the various Revell LS motor-in-kit-form options. I cut them off at the flange to remove the cats and I think they will serve well to fit a lot of different configurations.

IMAG0298_zpsa829fa6c.jpg

With this dropping Monday, and I have no doubt that it will be a success, what do you guys want to see next? We've already added the automatic version and the exhaust manifolds into the mix based on feedback from here. I think that the supercharged LS9 from the ZR1 would be a no brainer. Or a carb'd intake. Perhaps the flatter dry-sump oil pan that is used in some 1:1 builds. Manny has briefly mentioned in one of our conversations wanting to do more with this based on the buzz that he's seen here on MCM.

With this dropping Monday, and I have no doubt that it will be a success, what do you guys want to see next? We've already added the automatic version and the exhaust manifolds into the mix based on feedback from here. I think that the supercharged LS9 from the ZR1 would be a no brainer. Or a carb'd intake. Perhaps the flatter dry-sump oil pan that is used in some 1:1 builds. Manny has briefly mentioned in one of our conversations wanting to do more with this based on the buzz that he's seen here on MCM.

The ZR-1 LS9 manifold/supercharger in layout is unique to the ZR-1. The crate engine available is the LSA (ZL-1 or CTS-V) and a variation is the Edelbrock supercharger. The LSA is slightly different than the LS9. Those would be more prototypical for real car use and pro-touring models.

The ZR-1 LS9 manifold/supercharger in layout is unique to the ZR-1. The crate engine available is the LSA (ZL-1 or CTS-V) and a variation is the Edelbrock supercharger. The LSA is slightly different than the LS9. Those would be more prototypical for real car use and pro-touring models.

Thanks for the heads up on the differences.

I've been researching this for a model build.

LSA engine:

ErodLSA_700.jpg

and LS9:

1013tr_10%2B2004_GMC_sierra_buildup%2Bco

and Edelbrock supercharger option:

F52375841.jpg

I was hoping that the ZR1 LS9 setup would work as that would be fairly straightforward. After seeing these pics, there is quite a bit more scratching to be done. The upper part of the manifold for sure. I'll have to pick up a ZR1 and see how that kit's pieces are laid out to see if it'll make a good base to start from.