Model Cars Magazine Forum

Parts Catalogs

While checking out some 1:1 car parts in the Jegs catalog I got to thinking. Many catalog sales outfits send out catalogs for the asking. What better reference material for modeling high performance parts on down to shock absorbers. Usually the pictures are of high quality so you can use them for color reference, decal placement etc.. There are tons of catalogs out there for the asking from Drag Race, Circle Track, Hot Rod, you name it and there is a catalog for it.

The difference between using web reference pictures and color printed is that the print are going to be for the most part true to the color(s) used on the part, they're usually done in a studio with near perfect lighting. The manufacturer approves of the shots so you are pretty much assured that the picture looks extremely close to the real thing.

I like to build factory stock models, I had the same idea as you Skip. I just surfed the web looking for free restoration parts catalogs, and had them mailed to me. I now have a huge stack of reference for about every muscle car out there. it helps a great deal when doing correct paint on interiors, or misc. items on the model.