Model Cars Magazine Forum

'48 Ford Custom

Hopsing

Hi guys! New to the forum and "new" to building models after not having done one for about 15-16 years. I now have a 6 year old boy that has a passion for cars like I do, so I thought that getting back into modeling would be fun thing to work on together at some point very soon. My first car getting back into it is this 1948 Ford. Its being built basically box stock except for some basic engine details. Hope you enjoy the photos! I'm having fun with the build and my boy loves the car and it looks like some Snap Tite cars are in his future! Thanks for looking!

post-14784-0-93560500-1418229375_thumb.j

post-14784-0-55664000-1418229491_thumb.j

post-14784-0-19338500-1418229506_thumb.j

post-14784-0-47575000-1418229552_thumb.j

Didn't like the super smooth look of the hood that comes in the kit so I added a strip of .010 styrene rod down the center to break up the expanse. Tapered the ends, sanded it down and voila! I think it turned out ok!

attachicon.gif48ford17.jpg

attachicon.gif48ford18.jpg

attachicon.gif48ford19.jpg

Welcome back to building and it's great that your son has the love of things cars and maybe will be building.

Thats a good touch with the hood peak. I like using triangular strips for this kind of thig as they sit flush with the surface and can be sanded and rounded easily to how you want the peak. Half-round strips work well also, depending what you're after.

Edited by Foxer

Welcome back to building and it's great that your son has the love of things cars and maybe will be building.

Thats a good touch with the hood peak. I like using triangular strips for this kind of thig as they sit flush with the surface and can be sanded and rounded easily to how you want the peak. Half-round strips work well also, depending what you're after.

Thank you!

Very nice, looks like you retained some skills. Glad you have something that you may be able to share with your son. My sons have very little interest in cars, beyond transportation.

Thanks for the compliment!

I'm very happy that my 6 year old loves cars and everytime I mention a hot rod show, he's ready to go! I've loved cars since I was a teen (my dad wasn't a car guy, it was just something I picked up on). I've built custom cars in real life and want to build something for our family again soon so we can enjoy it together. He loves seeing me work on the models and always has his input as to what I should do next, LOL. Hopefully his interest stays as it makes great family fun time.