Model Cars Magazine Forum

Allison Charger - pics replaced - more work soon

Jantrix

Okay here's my WIP thread for this project, take 2.

I'm using the Revell '67 Charger body/chromy bits/glass. The engine and a few random parts from the AMT Allison Thunderland Thunderbird kit. The rest is from the parts bins or scratch-built.

Here's what I have so far. There' been quite a bit of trial and error to get the stance and wheelbase squared away. I'm still up in the air on decals/graphics for this project. So if anyone has any suggestions I'm all years. Planning on Inca gold for the color. Let me know whatcha think.

20141207_165702_zpsu6vaqh2j.JPG

20141207_165756_zpsbjcllpmt.JPG

20141221_132113_zps7p7xlsbt.JPG

20141221_132139_zpsxvexf9wq.JPG

20141221_132154_zpsdtj2gguj.JPG

20141221_132207_zps2pdvzuif.JPG

20141221_132319_zpspbaoinhe.JPG

20141221_132331_zpsot62aemp.JPG

20141221_132357_zpslldyfiap.JPG

Edited by Jantrix
  • Like 1

I'm not really going for a period piece. Just something wild. The engine hangs very low in the chassis, so the ride height is a matter of necessity. If I raise the engine it no longer fits under the body. Leaf springs were the easiest to engineer with the parts I had on hand. Thanks for you input though, much appreciated.

Some more chassis work. Got my front/rear roll bars in place (braces and supports in progress), tranny hump and brackets for the steering. There's not a lot of reference photos for a car like this so I'm winging a lot of it. Still got to figure how something like this runs through the gears. I've got no idea what sort of tranny is on it.

20141229_184741_zpspm4spn9f.JPG

20141229_184831_zpsfitjizru.JPG

20141230_151612_zpsnzai6xw7.JPG

20141230_172247_zpsubyhawwj.JPG

20141230_172341_zpsrqabmvpc.JPG

Edited by Jantrix
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Folks I'd like to ask you to help me come up with some sort of idea for some cool door art like you would see on a 60's-70's dragster. I've no problem using something from another kit or aftermarket vendor, it just needs to fit the build.

Right now my only idea is the using the "BOSS" declas that come with the '67 kit. I could use some input. The paint color is not set yet, it will depend on the decals.

And yes, this is back on the bench. New photos soon.

Edited by Jantrix

Why didn't I think of that? :D:lol::D

It's back on the bench, and I'll do the best I can to get it done.

isnt that the point of a model car forum? when your so close to the answer but cant figure it out we help you?

Folks I'd like to ask you to help me come up with some sort of idea for some cool door art like you would see on a 60's-70's dragster. I've no problem using something from another kit or aftermarket vendor, it just needs to fit the build.

Right now my only idea is the using the "BOSS" declas that come with the '67 kit. I could use some input. The paint color is not set yet, it will depend on the decals.

And yes, this is back on the bench. New photos soon.

A great name for it would be ReCharged in wavy '60s style lettering on the sides.

-MJS

Edited by Maindrian Pace

Thanks Ira. I'm a lot further along right now, but work/life has been keeping me off the bench. The engine is painted and being assembled. I just have to fabricate front shock mounts and the gas tank/mounts and I'll be ready to paint the chassis. I'm going to modify the rear bumper to allow for a parachute.

And thanks to Carl, I have settled on this set of decals. http://firebird-designs.ecrater.com/p/16316481/big-noise-gasser-decal-set#

I'll need two sets though to get the 1710ci correct though.

Now I just have to find a color that goes well with the decals.

Edited by Jantrix

Suspension work. I added some coil overs to help with the weight of that beast of a motor.

The engine has been modified to get rid of the aircraft gearbox and added a modified tranny.

I'm going to come up with a scoop over the carb, I'm not sure how yet. It's a little forward for the standard Mopar scoops to look correct, so I'll come up with an alternative.

It sits a little high but due to the size of the motor, it would be double tough to get it lower. More soon.

20150511_210237_zpsqmzzqo7c.JPG

20150511_173313_zpsodinsajm.JPG.3090e3cf4ba43edda1c4c0cb49077e58.JPG

Edited by Jantrix
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. This weekend I'll be removing the aircraft carburator and adding a plenum and twin dominator carbs, which I have seen done on some automotive Allison applications. I'll also be reversing the headers and creating a front fenderwell dump.

More chassis work. After some engineering discussion with Ace-Garageguy (thanks Bill) I decided to add more support to the front of the chassis. I'll add some braces at the weld points and at least one triangulation bar after I get the exhaust figured out, and a bolt-in cross bar that will run between the rails, located between the magneto and the carbs. I've also added a tranny support. More soon.

20150518_163553_zpsurgt8noz.JPG

20150518_163811_zpspsdua5g5.JPG

20150518_163825_zpsaz4omhza.JPG

Edited by Jantrix