Model Cars Magazine Forum

KS Pittman 41 Willys Gasser

Dr. Cranky

Didn't one of these new-tool Revell Willys kits come with an Olds engine? Or am I thinking of the old SWC tool from the '60's?

Chuck, only the 1960's vintage Willys gassers from both AMT and Revell had the Olds engines. The new tool Revell kits all have the 392 Hemi.

• 2 weeks later...

there was complaining about only one seat in the new willys? its a race car...and there is only one raised area on the floorboard for the seat. its supposed to only have one seat...

WRONG, "back in the day" in the Gas Coupe & Sedan class, the gassers were street driven hot rods and had to be "street legal" with two seats, fenders, exhaust systems, front & rear lights, batteries,starters, etc. I hope this clears things up for you.

Interesting comments about a great kit . Personally I don't care how many seats are included . Unless I'm building box stock , I'll probably do something different anyway .

Hey Doc ! Where's the unboxing video ? I didn't see it at the link you provided . Maybe I should look again !

BOB .

Bob, here it is again:

i didnt know a car had to have two seats to be street legal. still dont. hope that clears things up for you. ps: buy two kits...then you gots two seats.
NHRA Gas class rules at the time required two seats.

The Willys kit has one seat because the first issue was modeled on the John Mazmanian car, which was frequently match raced at a lower weight, and with a larger engine, than NHRA Gas class rules allowed. When match racing, the rules are whatever the participants agree on. The second issue, the black Stone-Woods-Cook car, was match raced as well and many pictures of it can be found with one seat.

Here's a decent feature article on the (I'm assuming) restored K.S. Pittman '41Willys gas coupe, with a nice low-angle engine shot: http://www.cartechbo...ittmans41willys

The Pittman Willys is restored to the 1963 season version. For 1964, Pittman built a '33 Willys with a Chrysler engine. In 1965, while match racing with the '33, it was wrecked. Pittman then "un-retired" the '41 that he still owned, installing the Chrysler engine and making some other changes. The '41 was used through mid-'66, when another '33 Willys replaced it.

• 2 months later...

I'm with Cranky on this.... Its a great kit. Personally, I think this kit allows enrichment for both the builder who's trying to build as clean as he can with a little pushing out in to Box Stock+ techniques (wire, hose, al-clad, etc...) ALSO to for the builder trying to cast and scratchbuild. Glad there's a new release so I can stock up with a few more Willys. You never know when your're gonna need some parts from one. I buy funny car models anytime I see one for under $20 so I always have frames/etc to build up other models as drag cars. I'm working on building my first scratch drag frames now.... Piles of kits and 'overly simplified castings' have gotten me to this point and I may have to attend SAA (styrene addicts anonymous) with Dr Cranky.

Edited by usmc4810