Model Cars Magazine Forum

Status of Lindberg?

I agree with the 1/20 scale not being a big seller. I really couldn't understand why they were producing kits in that scale.

Back when Lindberg was releasing that 1/20 stuff, they were sending them out to shows to use as door prizes, no doubt to get folks to see them. They were hard to even give away, always the last picks. I remember winning a few, and I eventually brought them to my show to give away.

I love the 1/20 scale kits, i have alot of them, i can see the parts alot better, when building them.

There's an "amazing" device called an optivisor that you wear on your head, which has magnifying lenses. Get one.

I paid $30 or less for mine at Hobby Lobby, It has the set in lenses in front, flip down lenses behind those that click in place to increase magnification if needed, plus a third single lense on the outside that can be moved in & out of position as needed.

I would say "isn't modern technology wonderful", but these have been around for many, many years. I'm surprised you weren't aware of them already.

Chuck-The shape of the back of the hood and the base of the windshield were incorrect in the first run of the '61 Chevy hardtop.They were much too curved.The next run of the hardtops was corrected.If you see the two versions together you'll clearly see the difference.All of the cars in the white background box were the early,incorrect,version.There were some incorrect bodies early in the stock of the gray background boxes but the majority of that run was the corrected version.The convertibles were the corrected version from the beginning.

• 11 months later...

Brett, Don, or anyone else who might know, what's the latest on Lindberg? Hopefully the loose ends have been tied up after Round2 purchased Lindberg, and we'll see more Lindberg kits soon. I think the 1/16 Bullhorn T is the only "new" Lindberg kit to have been released since the Round2 purchase news broke last year.

Well they're exporting the Color Me Gone '64 Dodge and '29 Mercedes-Benz SSK to the Asian market this month. That will mark the first time anything with the Lindberg brand has been sent to Japan in two years. Tower Hobbies is still showing an "Early June" release for the Lawman Plymouth Belvedere as well.

Edited by niteowl7710

Round2's done a bunch of "retro-box" Lindberg stuff in the last couple months, the only car I can think of is the 1/32 57 Chevy convertible. They're up and running under the new ownership. I think the Bullhorn T was already set in motion by J Lloyd and Round 2 stepped in with the cash to get it out.

Round2's done a bunch of "retro-box" Lindberg stuff in the last couple months, the only car I can think of is the 1/32 57 Chevy convertible. They're up and running under the new ownership. I think the Bullhorn T was already set in motion by J Lloyd and Round 2 stepped in with the cash to get it out.

Thanks. I thought the same thing might be true with the 1/20 Dune Buggy kit, too, especially since it appeared the box art was already finished, but I haven't seen it anywhere nor any mention of it since NNL East last spring.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 7 years later...

Lindberg seems to be dead as far as Automotive subjects go. The last kit released under the Lindberg brand was the 1/16 "The Serpent" custom T-Bucket, almost five years ago: 

Multiple new-in-the'90s "modern" Lindberg kits have been re-issued under the AMT label ('64 Dodge, '64 Plymouth (stock and Lawman versions), 1/20 '94 Camaro SS, etc. Don't see it coming back, which, I'm fine with. Never seemed like a brand which appealed to many nor had a lot of recognition.

They burned pretty bright before burning out: '61 Impala (2 versions), '66 Chevelle SS, '67 Olds 442, '53 Ford (2 versions), Ford F-150 4x4 flare-side, '64 Dodge 330, '64 Plymouth, late model Dodge Super Bee (1/24 for some reason!?), and their Snap Kits were as good as any : Dodge Caravan, Crown Vic, Dodge Dakota, and some others from both categories I'm sure I'm forgetting. These are just off the top of my head because they're favorites of mine!

• Like 1

It seems they tried a little of everything scale-wise! As I noted above, their late model Super Bee kit was 1/24, and I forgot to mention those 1/24 '37 Ford Ford street rod kits they did. Some of those were showing up at Ollie's stores a couple years back for ten bucks. They build up nice, and are very good sources for modern rod chassis/suspensions. Why they wandered into 1/24 after tooling 1/25 back in the 90s-20000s I have no idea. Maybe someone else's tools? Hoping to appeal more to European market where 1/24 is more "standard" car scale?

2 hours ago, bisc63 said:

It seems they tried a little of everything scale-wise! As I noted above, their late model Super Bee kit was 1/24, and I forgot to mention those 1/24 '37 Ford Ford street rod kits they did. Some of those were showing up at Ollie's stores a couple years back for ten bucks. They build up nice, and are very good sources for modern rod chassis/suspensions. Why they wandered into 1/24 after tooling 1/25 back in the 90s-20000s I have no idea. Maybe someone else's tools? Hoping to appeal more to European market where 1/24 is more "standard" car scale?

The 37/38 Fords are based on the original Smoothster tooling that was done for Testors as part of their deal Boyd Coddington in the 90s. I guess they wanted 1/24 because so many of their other borrowed kits are in that scale. I don't know how Lindberg ended up with the tooling though.