Model Cars Magazine Forum

chopped and sectioned p/u

jeffinvt

This is an ongoing (a year now) project of mine, and the first time posting on here. I frequent another board, but wanted to check out something new. This build is the first involving major mods, I've only been modeling around two and half years now. The frame is scratch built, the body was a ford flip front p/u, and the rest of the parts are from any number of donor kits. If I don't have it in a box, I have been trying to make it. Please be honest, I can take it. :P This is just a quick mock pick I took to see how it was looking. I have made a pitman arm, dropped steering arms, and a wooden bed that are not shown here.

DSCN1220.jpg

Edited by jeffinvt

Hey, thanks guy's, glad you like it so far. The idea started as a traditional style truckster, flattie, baby moons... I'm not really sure at what point it got rediculouse, probably when I chose a v-16 from a 31 caddy as the engine. The thing is almost half the truck :P . Today I decided that I needed to stretch the frame a little more to accomadate the engine.

DSCN1231.jpg

And heres the bed I made using tips from MikeMc.

DSCN1219.jpg

Jeff

Edited by jeffinvt

Darrell, I do agree, it's gotten a bit too long. I removed the frame extensions, and am working on a plan to get the tranny to sit in the cab a little further. This will create the space I need up front , but not add to the visual size. Thanks for the input, Without it I would have gone ahead with it and been disapointed at the end. I may end up scrapping the fuel tank in the bed and doing a radiator back there with cooling lines running to the engine, space is at a premium on this thing. Jeff

......something does not compute........

I hear ya, lol. I think I got it worked out. Shortened the frame a little shorter than the original length, before the added peices. Tucked the back of the motor under the cowl. I think this fixes the awkwardness of the stretched look, what do you guys think. Keep it or keep trying, I'd rather not get into changing the rear around unless it's absolutly necessary. Jeff

DSCN1235.jpg

Edited by jeffinvt

Great looking build so far! I like the choice of engine, a lot!

I tried responding to this thread on another board but it just so happend to be at about 10am so all the threads got locked when I was mid post. That was the end of that.

I had a suggestion regarding the engine. Since the rest of the vehicle is modified, I was wondering just how much "stock" you were putting in the motor. Might I suggest a couple of side-drafts on each side sticking out of a "bundle of snakes" exaust headers or maybe even a pair of injected superchargers (one each side) hanging sideways? It sure would look wicked and mean. But, like I said, these are suggestions.

Build the vehicle as you want as you are the only one it has to please. Either way, it is looking good and I look forward to seeing the completed hot rod...

I like the idea of a different carb set up, not sure how that work on a v16. Don't know a ton about engines, but did some looking around the internet, but only found pics of sidedraft carbs off the engines. Any idea how the setup would look? I would really like to modify the engine a little to give it more a hot rod look.

Jeff

Well, the first thing is to look at the induction system it has now. From what I can see in the pictures the intake is the one on top but I cannot discern if it is separate from the exaust manifold. The intake ports look to be siamesed (one port on the head for each two cylinders). If the intake manifolds are separate pieces, you can just cut the carb junction out (cut out the section between the two center-most intake ports) and graft on the webber sidedrafts. It would be up to you to know just how detailed and elaborate you want to make them. If they are molded with the exaust manifolds, you can still just cut out the carb junction and create a flat place to mount the webbers on either side of the original carb mount and in between the two ports on each end. There may be someone more familiar with this kit motor that would have a bit more advice on how to do this. You may also be able to create them out of solder or scrap/tube plastic that would be a more direct port (if they are siamesed) and then create some nice and twisty exaust headers out of solder. Using the original manifolds as placement guides to drill holes and run tubing. This method would be much more work but the finished product would look pretty darn cool. Shoot me a personal e-mail if you still have questions and maybe we can talk more. torinobradley@yahoo.com.

Thanks Torino, I have stearted to work on a downdraft system since I had an idea of where to start on it. It will be much more hot rod than the stock aplication. It will be a 4 barrell carb, each feeding 4 cyl. The stock exhaust will probably stay, but the intake will be radically different than stock. Thanks for the suggestion on going a different route, your reply is one of the reasons I began to look at different options. I probably would have left it otherwise. I'll try to post a pic, if I get some of it done :angry: . I'm in the conceptual stage right now, hopefully I'll build some more today...

I am anxious to see where this build goes.

I have an Allison motor and am just itching to make a severe land speed car by slamming it in a little chopped and lengthend '34 ford. Though it would be a long car... That, or some type of take off of Foose's P-32 with a longer hood and eight exaust pipes out each side of the hood. Ah well, got to get the move out of the way and I want to finish a few projects before I start ANOTHER one.

• 2 weeks later...

Torino, that would be a cool build, don't like the grill on on that one, but the rest is art. My next build will be a 32 coupe with a Ferrari v12...

I'm playing with MikeMc's suggestion of shortening the rear end. As I'm in no rush to finish thought I'd tear the rear crossmember out and see what it looked like. I'd like to hear some opinions here, I think it looks better closer to this:

DSCN1242.jpg

Any thoughts???

Edited by jeffinvt

What I did on my '34 pickup, after I shortened the bed to just after the axle, was cut the floor loose from the box to raise the floor of the bed and that allows it to slip over the frame. That way, my quick change and suspension is shown off and the truck looks just plain mean.

Maybe someday, I will even get this one finished... :blink:

Torino, thanks for the tip, thats exactly what I did.

Todays work: I shortened the wheelbase considerably, and also shortened the bed. I cut down the gas tank to fit in the rails. I built the intake main manifold, RAM tubes, pre-heater, and heat riser tubes from the exhaust. Left to do on the intake is the carbs and carb flanges. Two per side each feeding 4cyl. Heres the most complete mock up, the only pieces made that are not shown here are the drop steering assembly and the battery, which I need to make a good looking mount for.

DSCN1253.jpg

DSCN1259.jpg

DSCN1260.jpg

DSCN1251.jpg

thanks , Jeff

Edited by jeffinvt

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be workin on it quitely, but want to start applying what I learned durring this one to a fresh start. I'll post up what I finish on this as it happens. My main effort will go to either a 32 coupe, or a t-bucket.