Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pocher Rolls Sedanca

Cato

More hours down the rabbit hole...

I won't bore you with the minutia of the job, but essentially, it is time to place the grille shell (containing the rad) in relation to the chassis and firewall.

To do that accurately with much trial fitting, I decided to make the job easier by doing more work (??).

As Pocher gives it to you, you must screw the grille into its crossmember from below. That means inverting the whole shebang numerous times and back. So I decided to make 2 'bolts' using 2mm rod, washers and nuts epoxied together, then epoxied to the steel shell. Now it plugs in from the top:

/309Medium_zps9d3f6fa3.jpg

Since I'm adding the shutter control rod which runs from the dash, through the firewall and to the control linkage on the rad, I needed to place it accurately. More research revealed that good old Pocher molded that representation on the wrong side of the rad!

Here (actually pic #41-we're over 300 now) was the previously finished rad when I was blissfully unaware of the bogus part:

310Medium_zps7df897fc.jpg

Presto! hours later, all ground off and a similar mounting flange created from .005 sheet and rivets:

312Medium_zpse44b7017.jpg

Here, my simplified version of the real rods and levers and flange operated by the rod from the firewall:

311Medium_zps5a53e42e.jpg

The new assembly. Pretty pics later:

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv151/Aframe/314Medium_zps268e5f4a.jpg

I have both the LHD and RHD handbooks, and they use the same illustration in both manuals (OOPS! WRONG. SEE CORRECTION BELOW IN POST 484). The image below is from the LHD handbook. Neither handbook contains an original publication date anywhere. I seem to recall that somewhere along the way (I don't know when), Rolls modified manual shutter opening/closing with the automatic thermostat shown here. It can be overridden manually.

Rollsshutterthermostat_zpsa1190b55.jpg

rollsshuttercopy_zps6b15f91d.jpg

Edited by sjordan2

I would add that I was incorrect about the illustrations being the same. :wacko: The placement of the thermostat is the only thing that is common between the LHD and RHD illustrations. That's because the LHD version as shown above is mostly a mirror image of the RHD chassis and engine layout, and components like the carburetor, exhaust, etc

This is the correct RHD illustration...

Picture21_zps15a7fa6c.png

Edited by sjordan2

I have both the LHD and RHD handbooks, and they use the same illustration in both manuals. The image below is from the LHD handbook. Neither handbook contains an original publication date anywhere. I seem to recall that somewhere along the way (I don't know when), Rolls modified manual shutter opening/closing with the automatic thermostat shown here. It can be overridden manually.

Most impressive and thorough explanation Skip-thanks.

So I've inadvertently modeled the full manual system. Rolls went to the full thermostatic system shortly after 1932. Just like with the gas tank (22 gallon vs 28 gallon) and the carburetors (2 different designs, prior to and after 1931), Pocher has blurred the changes and modeled an amalgam of Rolls parts in the same car.

The enduring mystery of the swept front fenders continues. No evidence exists (to my knowledge) of a car with them on a Sedanca (Continental). Possibly the boat-tailed roadster IIRC. If Pocher modeled them from a real car, it does not now exist or any record of it. Yes these were all done to customer's wishes by coachbuilders so maybe one owner desired them in all P II production.

Again, almost nothing you do is 'wrong' on a Pocher classic. It's made me more comfortable with the license I took on details and finishes. I'm going for art as much as a faithful replica.

Rolls registry info indicates that chassis JS1 with the auto thermostat and other JS series were introduced in 1931 (the kit is supposed to be 1932, isn't it?).

I found a catalog picture of an enclosed 1931 Hooper sports saloon with similar fenders. I find the caption a bit confusing, but I'll scan it today and post it.

NOTE: I've come up dry on this --many of the Rolls coachbuilders had similar flared front fenders on fixed-head tourers and sports saloons, but I can't find one on any open car.

Edited by sjordan2

The enduring mystery of the swept front fenders continues. No evidence exists (to my knowledge) of a car with them on a Sedanca (Continental).

I can't explain the fenders, but I do know that Pocher usually picked one specific car and based their model on that car. So they very well may have chosen one particular Rolls that happened to be equipped as it was–as the owner wanted it equipped. With RRs being pretty much completely customizable by the buyer, it's impossible to say that any one particular car is "right" or "wrong."

Getting REALLY excited now.......

Pocher must have had Machiavelli engineer their kits. Their instructions only show you where things are supposed to go, and ignore that you must pre-fit them dozens of times to get them right. And none of them fit right when assembled without pre-fit.

I have figured a way to make the cowl unit easily removable for mock-up purposes. It will need to move forward or rearward a few mm's to get the coachwork perfect anyway-another mountain to climb. Be happy to share with any builders who like to see the detailed mods needed-it's not really hard. Just tedious on a fully finished cowl...

But here it is in place with the grille out front. The three rods are also in place and play nice together. The upper one will be trimmed a bit and screwed into the waiting clevis on the cowl lip. This one gives adjustment for the vertical plane of the grille-but it's near perfect now so I'm lucky. Below that is the thinner shutter control rod and below that is the starting carburetor control rod. It only needs trimming. The last two will be painted black and I'm debating black for the upper brace or possibly chrome. From the top it's all arrow-straight and I'm both relieved and ecstatic:

317Medium_zps32b35547.jpg

316Medium_zpsbb46e234.jpg

318Medium_zpsc177c5a6.jpg

319Medium_zps1df17089.jpg

321Medium_zps0522eeef.jpg

Edited by Cato

I can't explain the fenders, but I do know that Pocher usually picked one specific car and based their model on that car. So they very well may have chosen one particular Rolls that happened to be equipped as it was–as the owner wanted it equipped. With RRs being pretty much completely customizable by the buyer, it's impossible to say that any one particular car is "right" or "wrong."

My guess is that it's the missing open car from the 1931 Hooper catalog.

Fasten your seatbelts...

I'm going to break this into 3 posts of 5 pictures each. As always with Pocher:

A. Take nothing for grranted.

B. One step forward after 5 steps back.

To wit: Many steps ago I had mounted the grille / radiator unit and found it to be within tolerance of dead vertical. But that was with the engine out.

Now that the engine is a permanent resident, the unit had a forward tip at the top. Bad words ensued.

After much diagnosis, the culprit was found to be the fan and its shaft. I removed the fan and sanded its face. Was a bit better so going in the right direction:

322Medium_zps20d71d4a.jpg

Further searching found the shaft protruded pushing the rad so that had to be ground in place - whirling Dremel in a fully finished area is a sweaty exercise.

Again thanking the Gods that I made the grille shell plug-in-able from the top, I still had lean at the top.

Culprit this time; the right angle corner of the steel shell (on the pass side) had a 'crimp' in it, raising it a mm. See shaded area. Dremel grinding wheel again but thankfully off the car. Finally got perfection on both sides vertical and equidistant to the corners of the cowl-flush and square. And this without the adjustable brace which will follow:

323Medium_zps594638d9.jpg

325Medium_zpsb34bad33.jpg

324Medium_zps312be8cd.jpg

Next order of business-the upper rad hose. I originally intended to stick a length of hose in place with two bands of BMF and move on. Sadly-I came across much better reference and as always I start sweating how I might 'fake' it a bit better than basic. Well here's a bunch more hours figuring it. I'll glady share what and how done if any of you not snoring yet. But then must kill you...

327Medium_zps399e3c18.jpg

Upper hose...

328Medium_zps1a72bc20.jpg

And in place:

329Medium_zps7bb5e4e5.jpg

330Medium_zps5d498491.jpg

331Medium_zpsc9d52847.jpg

Not forgotten is the lower hose, though seen much less often. BTW, I thrashed out a way I'd never seen before to make slightly better hose clamps-not as good as the PE pro guys do but adequate for hackers like me.

Easy; strip of lead foil (with one shiny ally side), maybe 1.5 mm wide. Take the edge of a file (3 corner here) and press it into the foil along its length on a surface like your cutting mat. Presto, little 'hashmarks' that are slots in the 1:1. Curl around correct sized hose and CA the 'crotch'. Leave a small tab. Then a common pin, 00-90 nut, a 3mm or so length of 1/16" ally tube you're now very good at cutting and CA the shebang to the round clamp.

To wit:

334Medium_zpsc1b4e0d8.jpg

Lower hose and finale...

335Medium_zps760e0c1a.jpg

336Medium_zpsf6020f6c.jpg

What I was after; plumb and square. Something you can't take for granted with a Pocher. The brace is just placed but it's dead nuts on center. That helps avoid the 'toy' look.

Satisfaction comes at a price but it's worth it:

333Medium_zps1f486e80.jpg

332Medium_zps2606afae.jpg

I'm blown away by the workmanship and detail in the buildup of this model. The engine, firewall and chassis look like "the real thing". I'll reserve the rest of my praise for when we get to see the completed car.

Hope you're patient Rich. 2015....

Oh yeah, I'm patient when it comes down to seeing this exceptional model. You are to be commended for your attention to detail and craftsmanship. This car would be well worthy of a magazine feature article, and a trip to the GSL Show, and any other show you would take it to. IMHO it would be a hands-down winner anywhere as long as the judging staff is worth their salt.