Model Cars Magazine Forum

My First Diorama...speed Shop

Tony T

Guest Gramps-xrds

Looks good enough to be real Tony. Now that it's finished do you have that erge to do more or another one ? I know when I finish one, I think, boy I'd like to do this or that next. But then they do take up a lot of room.

The only thing that is really finished, Bill, is the front facade...Last night I extended the side walls, and started to work on a removeable back wall...and I want to make a removeable flat roof...I also want to fence at least one side, maybe both...not sure what size of fence...maybe a post sign...then there is some interior stuff, like work benches, tool boxes...and other garage stuff. So, while it is a useable photographic backdrop, I'll have lots to do before I say "It's finished"!! Will help to keep the car projects going, as it will give me a diversion if I get stuck, so I can do something on the shop, then get back to the car. At least that is the plan!!

• 4 months later...

I haven't posted an update in a while, but I've been doing little things to the dio...Added an access ladder to the roof, natural gas line, back wall extensions outside to either side of the building, and popsicle stick fences up along both sides. Also a few sticks of paper furniture. I'll have to grab a couple of pictures...Looks alright to me!

• 1 month later...

Here are some update photos:

Roof access ladder, and natural gas meter/line on the side

ModelsSpeedShop01.jpg

Removable rear wall, and removable beams-also some additional wall posters, and paper furniture.

ModelsSpeedShop02.jpg

ModelsSpeedShop03.jpg

ModelsSpeedShop04.jpg

Popsicle stick fence, on both sides. Stained with leftover maple stain. I like how it came out, actually. Bit too new looking, though...

ModelsSpeedShop05.jpg

Enjoy

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd try out my light for photos inside. Not as good as sunshine, but the ice and cold now is a bit limiting - I don't want to lug the dio outside in the cold! I moved my dio to a different location in my workshop, and set the light above. I can move the light a bit for variety, and need to come up with a backdrop, other than the white paper. Anyways, here's the latest resto from the shop, a 60s VW V-8 Gasser (built-up bought off that auction site, along with a 65 Chevelle wagon and a trailer).

VWV-8Gasser1011.jpg

• 1 year later...
Guest Gramps-xrds

There's always something else you want to keep adding, but at some point you just gotta say "That's enough" lol. But it never is. I've added little things to mine and still haven't said it's done. I finally got some signage for it but haven't added it yet so I guess their always a work in progress.

Oooooh. Wow. Very nicely done. Now to make a model of it? I kid I kid. Anyways, Tony- Where'd you pick up that tow truck? I need something very similar for my shop that has yet to come to reality. Also, any places where one might find a relatively new 1 ton pickup, not outrageously customized? Die cast is fine. Thanks!

-Jake

Thanks for the nice comments!

One thing I do like about the diorama is that it really isn't ever done! I really have more I want to do eventually on the interior, plus populate it with a few figures that I can move around (other then the 3 Spice Girls I found in a bargain bin!). Another project to learn-Figure painting!! I've got a couple of jacks to paint up, and want to add some work benches, and maybe a hoist. Eventually!

The tow truck is a kit bash, I used the 99 Silverado Custom pick up for the cab and chassis. The towrig is the bed from the Midnight Cowboy reissue, a bit of trimming on the chassis to fit, and parts-box wheels/tires from a Jada. Computer generated door signs, glued to the flat blue paint. Here's a few more pictures.

The yellow racer, I do have pictures of in my photobucket album here. (Down page 2 a bit). There are a few more in amongst the Speed Shop pics, too.

Enjoy!

• 8 months later...

Well, I realized I hadn't updated this thread for a while. Not really much going on with the shop, but the builds keep coming. I did build a tow truck for the shop a while ago, and the latest addition is a demo derby car...other pics in my album...

Revell99ChevySilverado011.jpg

Revell99ChevySilverado006.jpg

DerbyBuick025.jpg

DerbyBuick016.jpg

Thanks for looking!