Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT `68 Roadrunner

Thanks Tim. I did check the Hamtramck sight but unfortunately the trim guide etc must be from the start of the model year. It doesn't really show much of anything as far as information on the upgraded interior. I went ahead an ordered Keith Mark's decals so I will be doing an exterior decor group. Thanks again for all the info you provide us!

David...a lot of materials on the Hamtramck site are updated with mid-year changes, and often there are "Product Information Letters" posted there that cover in-process model year spec changes. But I checked, and just as you said, there's nothing in either category on the décor group for '68 Plymouths.

So I looked at some other reference materials - in this case, the Dodge and Plymouth Muscle Car Red Book, Second Edition (Peter C. Sessler). Some disagree with me, but I have found this book to be a fairly accurate (though by no means bulletproof) source of Mopar info. It lists order code 360 Road Runner Decor Group for $79.20. The text says" The Road Runner Décor Group spiffed things up a bit with expanded interior color selection, a steering wheel with partial trim ring, center pillar moldings, and a rear deck lid applique." So apparently the décor group in 1968 1/2 was exterior/interior combined. Also checked the Road Runner seat and door panels and the seat sew style doesn't appear to match any of the seats shown in the Hamtramck Dealer Color and Trim Selector. It was probably an additional sew style introduced at mid-year with the package, and the interior door panels in the kit are WAY too deluxe to be the entry level Road Runner, they were clearly upgraded as well. Of course, there is always the possibility that the 1/1 car AMT/Ertl scaled was not factory correct, but for purposes of where we are right now, I would suggest you consider the kit to have the Décor Group and build it that way on both the outside and inside (including the Kieth Mark decals). That's the way I would build mine.

Hope this helps...TIM

Those wonderful people at Missing Link also have an interior set for the non-Decor option. It includes bench seat and door panels and is very well done.The door panels and seats are good for Belvedere and RR. The same seats and doors can be used for those cars in '69 also. It may have been a mid '68 change as the pattern is not shown at Hamtramck, but I have seen them on '68s, and some of the upholstery companies list them for '68 also.

Steve

Thanks Steve and Tim. I cannot seem to find like any information on decor package as far as the interior. I know the exterior decor is listed on the initial public release information for the coupe. There is this ad that came out for the hardtop and notice what it ways about the interior. I just cannot seem to find any information from Plymouth.

This ad talks about premium vinyl.

post-2435-0-29453100-1391007663_thumb.jp

The kit comes with a decor option interior, but does not supply the decor option tail panel. Keith Marks has the tail panel to use with the interior. Missing Link has the correct interior to use without the tail panel.

It is not well documented, but I am pretty sure it came out mid year.

Dont know if this was already addressed, but the AMT kit also does not have the correct chrome top for the hemi. Revell has them in their '67 GTX/Charger kits I think.

Steve

You would think if they were going to update this mold, they would have at least included the proper tail panel trim. I've got 4 of the original kits sitting on a shelf, I see no reason to buy more. They should have done a decent 1969 Road Runner. I'm still holding out for a 1/25 1970 Road Runner...the Monogram just plain sucks as far as I'm concerned. I've been building models since the 1950s, and it seems like things should be better in 2014 considering the cost of these things.

Modelhaus has released a promo style 1969 Roadrunner kit, hood molded in. That Johan 1969 Roadrunner is such a great looking kit isn't it? I have one I bought a few years ago it is a re-release that is molded in red. I should have stacked up a few of those. Even the re-releases in red, yellow or light blue are pricey.

The kit comes with a decor option interior, but does not supply the decor option tail panel. Keith Marks has the tail panel to use with the interior. Missing Link has the correct interior to use without the tail panel.

It is not well documented, but I am pretty sure it came out mid year.

Dont know if this was already addressed, but the AMT kit also does not have the correct chrome top for the hemi. Revell has them in their '67 GTX/Charger kits I think.

Steve

Steve I was going to use one out of one of my 1967 GTX kits.

Thanks

[Round2] should have done a decent 1969 Road Runner.

I , too , would love to see a newly-tooled 1969 Road Runner ! Perhaps in time , Round2 will have the capital to modify existing tooling and thusly make corrections to body proportions and all the other life-long beefs with this now-ancient AMT kit. I must admit , I do like its tyres !

I'm still holding out for a 1/25 1970 Road Runner...the Monogram just plain sucks as far as I'm concerned.

That Monogram-come-Revell 1970 Road Runner is a disappointment , to say the very least . It still has that early 80's 1970 GTX dNa ( blobs for carbs ; aftermarket coolant overflow tank ; exhaust moulded-to the Dana 60 , etc. ) and that's its biggest downfall . I like the idea of the updated interior (separate door panels and a correct bench seat are nice) and the optional-albeit-incorrect-for-1970 steel wheels / hubcaps . Its decal sheet is nice , too .

I'm surprised that AMT did the 69 GTX back in the 90's, I would have thought the Road Runner would have been a better seller.

They probably wanted to do something different since they had already done the '68 Road Runner..having two very similar 1 year apart RRs probably wouldn't have sold as well...

• 1 year later...

The box art at the top was never issued. AMT 821 is actually the same kit as the one at the bottom but molded in white instead of yellow, same box art (except for the molded in color sticker) . 821/849 is the latest issued version of the '68 Road Runner, has upgraded tires (w/ redlines) and the extras (minature box, etc) that Round 2 has been adding lately..

Edited by Rob Hall

The box art at the top was never issued. AMT 821 is actually the same kit as the one at the bottom but molded in white instead of yellow, same box art (except for the molded in color sticker) . 821/849 is the latest issued version of the '68 Road Runner, has upgraded tires (w/ redlines) and the extras (minature box, etc) that Round 2 has been adding lately..

Wow - it actually includes their redline tires?! That alone might justify buying this kit!

Can you give me any more info about the kit... is it one of those oldies-but-goodies that could be flashed heaviy? Is it based on a wornout toolilng?

Edited by fseva

Do you remember having a problem with the rear taillights?

They're all-chrome--have to be painted. I have a vague recollection that they didn't fit into their recesses flush. Next one I build, I'll thin and fit them better.

They're all-chrome--have to be painted. I have a vague recollection that they didn't fit into their recesses flush. Next one I build, I'll thin and fit them better.

You know, I completely forgot that I had one of these kits in the basement - it's the one with brown plastic. Checked the taillights, and they are chrome, as you said, and they seem to fit pretty well!

For the interested. These are original releases of all the kits mentioned in this thread. All these kits share chassis and many other parts. The 70 Coronet kits in particular are a goldmine.

20150507165753.jpeg

Edited by sigmaman

• 1 year later...

Decided I needed to add this kit to my collection. I really appreciate Tim Boyd's review on this kit. The kit looks good to me. My only problem is that with that interior, it needs the full rear trunk lid trim panel. By the way, that trim optional on the coupe became available when the hardtop version came out in January of '68. I beleive the exterior part of the package was standard on the hardtop for '68. So I guess I'm going to have to look at Keith Marks decals for this kit. 

Edited by unclescott58

Scott, to my eye the main thing to fix on this kit is the lower edge of the rear (side) windows. AMT didn't get this right but it should be an easy fix with a little filing/sanding. I didn't do it on the one I built because I hadn't noticed it at that time, but now every time I look at one of these, that's the first thing I see. I'll fix the next one I build, I assure you.

Recently someone on here was building an original MPC '69 Dodge that has a similar problem in the same area. He fixed it and wow the difference is apparent and amazing.

Some have also taken issue with the shape of the rear wheel openings. That doesn't catch my mind as bad as the window thing but I'll take a good look at that next time around, too.

Scott, to my eye the main thing to fix on this kit is the lower edge of the rear (side) windows. AMT didn't get this right but it should be an easy fix with a little filing/sanding. I didn't do it on the one I built because I hadn't noticed it at that time, but now every time I look at one of these, that's the first thing I see. I'll fix the next one I build, I assure you.

Recently someone on here was building an original MPC '69 Dodge that has a similar problem in the same area. He fixed it and wow the difference is apparent and amazing.

Some have also taken issue with the shape of the rear wheel openings. That doesn't catch my mind as bad as the window thing but I'll take a good look at that next time around, too.

Snake, that was Steven Guthmiller that's doing the '68-9 Coronet build with the much needed quarter window fix.

Back in June, I posted a tutorial on how to fix AMT's '68-'69 Road Runner which can be found here. Namely I focused on the rear fenders of the car, and the rear wheelwells. I also tackled that quarter window shape. Not everyone will be able to do what I did, but it may be a cheaper alternative as original late '60's Johan B-Bodies are getting more scarce with each passing year. When they do turn up on eBay for instance, the prices for untouched pristine examples can be sky high. Even rebuilders are getting pricey these days unfortunately.

Edited by MrObsessive

Snake, that was Steven Guthmiller that's doing the '68-9 Coronet build with the much needed quarter window fix.

Back in June, I posted a tutorial on how to fix AMT's '68-'69 Road Runner which can be found here. Namely I focused on the rear fenders of the car, and the rear wheelwells. I also tackled that quarter window shape. Not everyone will be able to do what I did, but it may be a cheaper alternative as original late '60's Johan B-Bodies are getting more scarce with each passing year. When they do turn up on eBay for instance, the prices for untouched pristine examples can be sky high. Even rebuilders are getting pricey these days unfortunately.

I followed your tutorial on that, and you really did a fabulous job. Your thing looked a LOT better when you got done with it, I admit/agree. I'm not sure I'd want to do all that work on an area of that body that doesn't really bother me THAT much, even after it's been pointed out. But hey, I GET it. I have a similar tutorial on here somewhere about fixing the AMT '67-'68 Camaro body, because I just can't stand the way that one looks out of the box, and I'm gonna do another one on the Revell '67 when I get around to fixing that one.

We each have our own eyes and our own peccadillos in this hobby. Is this a great country or what? B)

(BTW, I'm jealously hoarding two or three JoHan '69 RRs, which WILL get built someday, so nobody PM me offering me trades on them.)