Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1957 Corvette Gasser *New Project*

BluePopsicle

While I'm waiting to put the final touches on my Shelby GT350, I've decided to tackle this beast. I've been warned that this body is garbage and simply doesn't line up...those people were correct. However, I'm going to try and tackle it to see what I can come up with. Funds are a little short these days due to temps getting cooler here and kids needing winter clothes, so this will probably take me a while. Suggestions and comments are always welcome.

Started off sanding down the body lines that don't exist on the real '57 vette as well as the flashing and mold lines.

3_zpse9112903.jpg

After taping the body together and started looking at the body lines...they don't match. :unsure: I'm thinking of grinding the lines down and getting styrene rods or strips to re-make them in the correct place.

2_zpsb27e8a97.jpg1_zps3716491c.jpg

Thanks for looking. As always, comments are welcome.

I've got one of these (in the same brown plastic, I might add) that I was working on making a pro streeter out of. I narrowed the chassis so the wheel/tire combo fits under the body, dropped the front suspension and swapped the mouse for a rat. Other than the motor and some styrene scraps/pieces, I am trying to build the car with the kit so that seems to fit right along the lines of where your going with this one. If you wish, I can tell you what I did to do the mods I have done. I even modified the kit headers for big-block usage. I hadn't considered correcting the cove trim but am considering swapping in the MPC rear wheel radiuses. I also sanded the back of the grill till the teeth fell out. Wanted to be able to see through it.

I can tell you from experience, we got our work cut out for us...

Good Luck with this and I do hope you finish it as opposed to throwing it out the window.

I'm just about done with mine, I'm down to attaching the flip hood. I'm going to try to use

whats in the box but I'm doubting much that will work.

So I'm very curious to see how you tackle that.

Definitely a "Character Building" kit but I still like it.

I will definitely be following this one!!

Steve

So I got some work done on funky body panels and lines. I have a little more work to do on the right side of the car, but I think the left is all done except for adding the new lines.

IMG_00000003_zps15e71fd1.jpgIMG_00000002_zps44b54058.jpgIMG_00000004_zps4fc00d34.jpg

It looks like I've got some good spacing between the hood and the rest of the body. I'll wait till the putty dries then try to work it a little more.

I've got a little update. I know it's been a few days and the progress isn't huge but I've been having issues at work and just started a new job yesterday. Hopefully things will level out soon and give me more time to work on this. For this update, I got the body lines and panel spacing about as good as I can get (unless anyone can suggest anything) and got the car in primer to get a better look.

5_zps5bb2709a.jpg6_zpsde54b993.jpg7_zps7b775044.jpg8_zps6ddbd8ab.jpg

Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoy.

Jon

Thanks Rob and David, I appreciate the the kind words. =)

Here's a little update. I added the trim on onto the car and frankly...I'm not really happy with it, but not sure what I can do about it. Tips and suggestions would be really helpful on this. (The gloss is the wet primer.)

9_zps12eaaa4a.jpg10_zpsdf9d5019.jpg

What did you do the line with, putty? I think it would come out alot sharper with either a small half round or round rod. It doesnt have a super sharp turn to it, so it shouldnt be that hard to do. The other thought I had was do a negative relief.. the inner round part of the trim you should do out of a piece of sheet styrene and then sand the edges slightly rounded off. I think that would look very innovative and badass. Just my 2c.