Model Cars Magazine Forum

what off road vehicles would you like to build?

off road vehicles  

136 members have voted

1. 1. do you have an off road vehicle you would like to build

I would also like to build some off-road vehicles. Years ago I lived near Pismo Beach Ca. I had a modified VW Type 1. It was called a BAJA style, somewhat like the ones used for desert raceing at the time. My wife has always liked Jeeps, and we got her a TJ Wrangler in '97. We got to go to several Jeep Jamborees in Colorado and realy injoyed it. In '08 we ordered her a new '09 TJ Wrangler and again used it at several Jeep Jamborees. This is her daily driver also. Sorry to bore you all about myself, but I put this out there so that everyone can see why I would realy like to see one or more of the model makers step up and make some off-road models of current models. While I personaly like some Jeeps, I think it would make valid buisness since to make GM, Ford, and Dodge off-roader also. I'll bet there are many people on this forum who have 4x4s in their driveways. Sorry to drag on, but I think that the model companys are leaving money on the table by not offering these kits.

David, don't you mean JK? :P

Here's a Welly 1/24 JK diecast...never retailed in the states though, I've bought two from China thru eBay. I'll eventually get an Unlimited 4-door master made from this:

IMG_74832.jpg

IMG_75042.jpg

Lots of cool ideas and nice builds. I just wish one or more of the kit manufacturers would tool up an early bronco and then after that one or two solid axle trucks with a decent suspension that could be used for parts.I like rock crawler/trail rigs but I often get bogged down with all the scrounging for parts to modify. It seems like it takes parts from 3 or 4 kits to get a decent build.

while we are at it what are some of your favorite kits for parts?

Randy, I like ANY Jeep kit for parts, as well as the Revell '99 Silverado (for the LS engine/tranny), the old Revell/Monogram 1/24 4X4 Chevy/GMC pickups & Blazers (for the best transfer case in scale, the venerable NP205). The best Dana 60 axle lives in the Revell '68-69 Chargers (the newish Hemi Dart probably has the same axle).

The aftermarket is the best place for tires, and the rest is scratchbuilt :(

speaking of parts I like the rockwells from the mpc monster trucks ,they aren't very detailed but they lend themselves to detailing very well. actually now that I think about it most of my off road builds borrow from the newer amt monster trucks as well .

It is surprising with popularity of suv's that we never got anything other than s10 blazers and an exploerer. both of which are nice kits of the subject matter . I never understood why there wasn't a suburban kitted,any year old new newest.I know there was a snap tahoe and a snap expedition.

• 11 months later...

I have about 8 4x4 WIPs going on as we speak! About 4 different GMC pickups (MPC & Revell), a couple of Jeeps, a Bronco, a Blazer and LRE conversion to 4x4 using an old Dencon resin transkit.

In the stash are about another 30 4x4 kits including an Unimog snow plow kit- drove one as a teenager when I worked for a Mercedes Benz dealer in the Midwest. Had to be the most impressive off road vehicle I have ever driven, used it to plow snow, move gravel, drag junk cars out of the back lot, used the fork lift attachment to unload trucks and stack junk cars. Never got a speeding ticket but then again I never got stuck in mud or snow!

I too hope for a first gen bronco and am anxiously awaiting those old Ford pickups from Mobeius to convert them to 4wd!

DSC00034-vi.jpg

I need to build a replica of my 1:1 Geo Tracker. I bought this new in 1991 and it hasn't failed me yet! I have the Suzuki kit as a start, but you'd be amazed at how many body differences there are between the two.

MVC004S-1-vi.jpg

I've had this pair in my work pile for ever! It's the old Lindberg Trail Blazer. I was building the left one onto the Hogan's Jeep chassis and the right one on the stock chassis for comparison. Yes, this was a real car.

IMG_2579-vi.jpg

The AMT - top. This is a snapper that is pretty primitive. This is just a stock kit photo of how I acquired one of them. I have a second one that I have an entire new interior mocked up into and have it scoped out for the Jeepster chassis.

And of course I have plans for a few of the Hogan's Heros Jeeps.

• Like 1

DSC00034-vi.jpg

I need to build a replica of my 1:1 Geo Tracker. I bought this new in 1991 and it hasn't failed me yet! I have the Suzuki kit as a start, but you'd be amazed at how many body differences there are between the two.

MVC004S-1-vi.jpg

I've had this pair in my work pile for ever! It's the old Lindberg Trail Blazer. I was building the left one onto the Hogan's Jeep chassis and the right one on the stock chassis for comparison. Yes, this was a real car.

I've never seen those Lindberg Trail Blazers. Very Interesting..

Love those little Suzukis, I have a few in the works.

Model of mine

ModelTracker4.jpg?t=1256369937

and a few other Versions.

PA180006.jpg?t=1255852338

:D