Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tow truck cable

If you're looking for something to replicate a heavier cable, you might take a look at nylon surveyors twine from the local hardware store. Some of the smaller gauges make a convincing heavy duty cable, especially after a dip in some Testors Metalliser to give it a metal color. Burnt Iron looks best to me, as it give a somewhat greasy, dirty look that a cable would have on a 1:1 truck..

I built A 1/25 PETE wrecker a couple of years ago and used BUTTON & CARPET thread. I purchaced it at A JOANNE FABRICS store and they had rolls of it in a number of different colors and it looks pretty much to scale for a 1/25 wrecker.

JARRNO88

Yes, Button and Carpet thread is a great choice, as it's heavier thread (and with some searching, comes also in different weights as well)! So far, the largest diameter I've seen is about .020" (.5mm) which is right on for 1/2 inch cable in 1/25 scale. For anything heavier, perhaps heavy fishing line?

Art

Try Musky Master fishing line for wire rope. It is the preferred line used by die-cast crane modelers to replace the rope that comes on the models from the factory.

www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/products.php/nav_id/13/page/1/id/268/name/CortlandMuskyMaster

I seem to recall seeing this posted elsewhere before by a most accomplished builder named Richard Mark. Sound familiar Dennis?