Model Cars Magazine Forum

GMC truck...1st timer

My name is David and I just bought a gmc syclone and im looking to build a full custom for my 1st attempt..I am a collision technician,so how hard can plastic be..lol..well,so far its been trying,but coming along..Im going for a working notched 4 link rear and im not to worried about the looks so far,but still debating on a street truck( a little beat up) or a full show piece,but just having fun for the most of it,but any tips or advice would be appreciated..thanx

post-11400-0-53598400-1359690574_thumb.j

post-11400-0-30490700-1359690591_thumb.j

post-11400-0-26225500-1359690596_thumb.j

post-11400-0-01349100-1359690600_thumb.j

post-11400-0-43979700-1359691052_thumb.j

post-11400-0-59355000-1359691057_thumb.j

post-11400-0-15519000-1359691062_thumb.j

post-11400-0-21212000-1359691066_thumb.j

post-11400-0-68390400-1359691070_thumb.j

Looking great so far...But just to let you know, the admins will most likely move your post to 'pickups and light utility on the work bench'. So, if it disappears, that's where it will be. And that's where I'll be following the build as well. :D

BTW, I'd love to have that 80s body Chevy!

Edited by Skydime

Looking great so far...But just to let you know, the admins will most likely move your post to 'pickups and light utility on the work bench'. So, if it disappears, that's where it will be. And that's where I'll be following the build as well. :D

Ive done all I could with this model for tonight,but I also have a 1992 hardbody im working on in my garage too(not tonight..lol)..Thanks for the heads up on forum post,..Im gonna look up all these post to try and get a paint scheme idea or tips of the trade on here..lol..the 87 is the primer one and the white one was my 85..cant have either in California..I had the primer one when I lived in Oklahoma..it was hooked up..cammed 496BBC and the white one was a project until I found out motor swaps are illegal without paperwork in Ca..lol.so it got sold for parts..it was just a 350 with a nice 6 link...Ive got tons more pics of other rides ive had I also have a nice Bullitt Mustang too currently..im so much of a car guy that im suprised that I havent done this earlier

Nice looking trucks man...shouldn't be too hard to do the plastic version lol

for sure sell me that camaro on the trailer in the pic..lol

Well man, ya never know, if the price is right lol....I am building the Camaro in my WIP thread to replicate what I want it too look like.that way people will know what I want to do with it, instead of me having to try and explain everything lol...

For sure ,but my time for projects is getting slim and the look on the wifes face says it all..lol..But yeah I like the car as far as buying one ive seen a few here in sacramento CL from 3k to 25k,but since the economy has took a plundge here the classics are affordable again...well at least from 5k to 15k...theres a nice 69 rs Camaro in rocklin Ca on Craigslist right now for I believe 7500...clean body too and 10k for a running 1 thats pretty nice by the bay area....from what I can see in that pic it looks pretty complete and very buildable..I had that body in a T/A and it sold pretty fast.Never been to colorado city tx,but I was in Kileen for a while and those old camaros there are it..if you have one you're a god there..cant wait to see your camaro complete..let me know where you post the build for it so I can keep up..I got my 1992 hardbody build on Ratsun.net

Yeah man, these older Camaros are really hard to find (cheap) around this area and you don't even think of finding a Firebird lol even though I know a guy who has 4 this body style (also the guy i got this car from lol...long story). I haven't started doing anything to it, like I planned, mainly due to no job at the moment...but hoping to start on it soon. i will definatley let ya know where and when I start the build documentation on it....cant wait to see more of what you do the truck...

Yeah man, these older Camaros are really hard to find (cheap) around this area and you don't even think of finding a Firebird lol even though I know a guy who has 4 this body style (also the guy i got this car from lol...long story). I haven't started doing anything to it, like I planned, mainly due to no job at the moment...but hoping to start on it soon. i will definatley let ya know where and when I start the build documentation on it....cant wait to see more of what you do the truck...

Totally understandable...as far as the model truck im not sure what I want to do except the suspension..lol..but I was thinking of using the syclone ground effects or just making it a bagged s15...if I put the ground effects I wont have to worry about channeling it to make it body dropped..lol..but If I do then its just another amt model syclone..I really dont know..looking for opinions..lol..S15 it or Syclone it..lol..thas the question,but its late for me,so its time to shut down..i'll post more progress if I wrap anything up tomorrow night..

Well I just got home from work(its friday left early..lol)but I stopped off at the hobby shop here and bought some plastic and putty to make my own frame..using crazy glue on it so hopefully that makes it strong,so im just gonna scrap the truck frame I made last night,because this is gonna look a lot cleaner

You're doing a great job!

Just seen your work...Awesome!..I dont think I can compare,but ima try..lol

post-11400-0-50443000-1359751337_thumb.j

post-11400-0-62728200-1359751343_thumb.j

I like the look without the ground effects, but either would look good. Nice work so far...will be watching this build

thanx..Ive got the back half done,but I didnt like seing the lines where I cut,so I covered it all in model putty when it dries ima sand it down and prime it...hopefully no more lines..shouldnt say done,but its to where I can start adding the tubing and 4 link

i think im done for the night,but here is todays progress....its friday time to go party!

I like where your going with this so far. I love a slammed truck. My first 1:1 truck was a 85 bagged and shaved blazer, never got a chance to finish the bd and chop top on it. Just something about that year blazer/pickup I love. In my opinion body kits don't belong on trucks so I would bd it and lay it hard on the rockers if I were you. Keep it up, looking forward to seeing how you do the rear setup. Btw, welcome to the site. Lots of great people here with some really cool projects. You'll fit right in.

I like where your going with this so far. I love a slammed truck. My first 1:1 truck was a 85 bagged and shaved blazer, never got a chance to finish the bd and chop top on it. Just something about that year blazer/pickup I love. In my opinion body kits don't belong on trucks so I would bd it and lay it hard on the rockers if I were you. Keep it up, looking forward to seeing how you do the rear setup. Btw, welcome to the site. Lots of great people here with some really cool projects. You'll fit right in.

Awesome and thanx for the welcome...yeah the box s10 and c10 were some of my favorite trucks,but over time ive had a few here and there from bagged to lifted and the body lines look good either way high or low to me on the box chevy trucks..I am working on a 92 hardbody in my garage,so this was the closest to my nissan that I could find in 1/24...but im actually having more fun right now with the model than the actual truck,because im not getting burned and cut every 5min fabbing my frame..lol..when I get back home tonight I might play around with it

anyone got any tips or ideas?...its saturday and Ima do work on the hardbody,so if you want to follow my truck build its on ratsun(real truck),but i'll wrap that up by noon spend time with the wife and maybe tonight back on the syclone..im more excited about making a custom rear on the model right now than the truck..lol..its coming together faster and easier in plastic..lol..