Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kenworth K-123 (WIP)

what did you use for making the black stripes on the fuel tanks.. to simulate the rubber insulator..

tape or sharp black pencil??

don't forget the 5th wheel.. try to install the handle on it make one with some small rod..

paint the center of the front wheels hub cap none are chrome in real life.

i like your truck nice work. very clean looking.congrats!

Edited by baloney

Both bumpers look good The gullwing bumper was introduced 73 or 74 with the VIT package. The AMT kit is a 71 or 72 so eithe bumper is possible.

for some reason the gull wing was only avaible on the conventional for the first couple years.Even in 76 it was only on the vit 200 cabover.Its like the newer step handle combo was only avalibe on a double bunk at first,high end models only when introduced

for some reason the gull wing was only avaible on the conventional for the first couple years.Even in 76 it was only on the vit 200 cabover.Its like the newer step handle combo was only avalibe on a double bunk at first,high end models only when introduced

I remember when the gull wing bumper really stood out now with all the Texas bumpers it just seems small. The step and grab handle style on the drivers side of AMT's K100 must be rare I've only ever seen 1 real truck with it. But either way camaro73 nice work I need to pull a K100 off the shelf and get started.

• 5 months later...

2012-07-02211510.jpg

2012-07-04133231.jpg

2012-07-04213447.jpg

2012-07-05221001.jpg

Hi Camaro73,

I started on my one of these last night and I'm up to the point of your 2nd and 3rd pics. I'd forgotten how lousy the AMT instructions can be on placement points- had great fun trying to figure out the location of the rear crossmember (no 5 in step 3).

Can you tell me how you worked out the angle for the axle brackets (14 on step 3)? It says to angle them rearwards but it doesn't say how much. I've the rear axle/diffs glued and drying, so that I can try dryfitting later, but it appears that the position on these is dependent on the length of the propshaft, and therefore the position of the engine/transmission. However, the engine/tranny has to go in AFTER the rear axles.

Confused.com......

Edited by roym

Oh man. That was 6 months ago. I can't remember anything past yesterday. LOL

I know I never read the instructions on it. I think after I put the brackets on and got it painted, I had to take them back off and re-position them once the motor was in. I know I had a lot of trouble with them and they are still not correct.

Roy, I would venture to say that you would have to mock up the drive train to get your angle correct. Build the motor, mock with it and the driveline (prop shaft as you called it) and see if that helps. Dry fit those parts and maybe you will have proper success. BTW, have never been to Ireland, but I would love to to be able to visit my cousins in Dublin. Good Luck.