Model Cars Magazine Forum

All this Furious stuff, you'd think there'd be a market.

I think the licensing and tooling costs, stamps this proposal paper as not lucrative.

If it had a great ROI percentage then it would've been tooled up yesterday

Not to mention that over time, movie & TV cars have had a very spotty record in the sales charts. More often than not, they've been "one hit wonders", with a very short attention span in the marketplace.

Art

Art is right as some merchandise like from the Dukes of Hazzard, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc. have VERY good track records as far as sales go, while a lot of others are just "hit or miss."

Hit or miss ... like "Hardcastle and McCormick", "Streethawk" (remember that one? The kit came out after the show was cancelled) ... I'm sure there are more but my brain is old.

Hit or miss as in "Christine" Plymouth, "Back to the Future" DeLorean, "A-Team" van, "Grease2" Ford F-100, "Knight Rider" KITT, "RoboCop" Taurus, "Ghostbusters" ECTO1 and the "Beverly Hillbillies" truck. I'm sure there are others too. While some of these might have been reasonable sellers, I don't think the Taurus did very well.. ..and I'm not looking to buy another one!

Art is right as some merchandise like from the Dukes of Hazzard, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc. have VERY good track records as far as sales go, while a lot of others are just "hit or miss."

It used to seem, back in the 60's and early 70's, when I was the plastic model kit/HO model railroading manager and buyer for a large local hobby shop, that a new TV car kit meant the death knell of the TV series--saw that happen many times.

Art

It used to seem, back in the 60's and early 70's, when I was the plastic model kit/HO model railroading manager and buyer for a large local hobby shop, that a new TV car kit meant the death knell of the TV series--saw that happen many times.

Art

"T.H.E.CAT" car, anyone? "Mannix" roadster? Personally, I would love to see the "Catmobile" from "Courageous Cat" in kit form, complete with the "spare" in the trunk, or even "Supercar. One might think that the '55 (need I add Chevy?) from "American Graffiti" and "Two Lane Blacktop" would be a decent seller, with kind of a cult following, but since there are already several versions of the '55 available, what's the point? (Sorry. Sometimes, things just get out of control in here... payday, you know)

Not to mention that over time, movie & TV cars have had a very spotty record in the sales charts. More often than not, they've been "one hit wonders", with a very short attention span in the marketplace.

RT706lg.jpg not to mention https://www.google.com/search?q=dukes+of+hazzard+model+kits&espv=2&biw=1010&bih=702&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=DIYmVea3JYHHsAWYoYCgAQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg#imgrc=_

My 2 cents. Revell probably do ff because they don't have a licensing agreement. Given the fact that amt has the licensing they might. But I'm not sure they did that well with the stuff they've done in the past. If they do something it probably won't be anything more than repackaging what they have. Don't see them doing any retooling.

I'm still trying to understand why it's labeled as a '70 when the doors look like '68/'69 doors.

its the same guys who think a busted weld on a intake manifold makes the floor drop out. or you can be smoking tires as you do a wheelie, and disk brakes dont need calipers

• 3 weeks later...

My 2 cents. Revell probably do ff because they don't have a licensing agreement. Given the fact that amt has the licensing they might. But I'm not sure they did that well with the stuff they've done in the past. If they do something it probably won't be anything more than repackaging what they have. Don't see them doing any retooling.

Just got a couple of these at work.

s-l1000.jpg

Now they have a licensing related excuse to do a '70 Charger too :D

I'm still trying to understand why it's labeled as a '70 when the doors look like '68/'69 doors.

The doors are the same 68-70. Only the 70 R/T had a fake scoop attached to the door covering up the two scallop intentions. But that only applies to the factory correct cars. The movie cars are all customs.

The doors are the same 68-70. Only the 70 R/T had a fake scoop attached to the door covering up the two scallop intentions. But that only applies to the factory correct cars. The movie cars are all customs.

This, or it could be built as a replica of the one my Parents had, factory 440 Six Pack/4-Speed/Dana 60 R/T car with color matched steel wheels and Dog Dish hubcaps that they ordered new in late '69. After they took delivery, the first thing Dad done was have the R/T badging removed and either replaced them with 500 badges and/or had the holes filled so it looked like a lesser small block or 383 car...........intil he blew your doors off that is :D

Edited by Joe Handley

Revell is going to do the Green original F&F Eclipse and Charger as plastic kits. They did them as diecasts back when the movie first came out, now they will be plastic kits. I don't know yet if these will be based on similar plastic kits already in their line-up (I hope so), or just simply plastic shot through the diecast molds, ala the Smokey and the Bandit Trans Am and other die-cast to plastic conversions they've done.

Revell is going to do the Green original F&F Eclipse and Charger as plastic kits. They did them as diecasts back when the movie first came out, now they will be plastic kits. I don't know yet if these will be based on similar plastic kits already in their line-up (I hope so), or just simply plastic shot through the diecast molds, ala the Smokey and the Bandit Trans Am and other die-cast to plastic conversions they've done.

The poor Bullitt/Cobra Jet 68 Mustang...