Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model kit subject builders block

Do you guys ever have it were you have about 3 or possibly more kits of that one car you like a lot, yet as you look at your collection you aren't attracted to build? As you look around for other choices, you only see maybe one or two you would build at that time? But then the next few days pass, or weeks and you regain appreciation for the kits you weren't exactly feeling at the moment? The subject type tastes changes for me as well, I was recently coming up with ideas for lowriders, now I'm looking at trucks in my stash lol.

I never thought about creating a datatabase for building ideas, kits, parts, and engines to swap from different kits. Maybe I should start doing the same!

quote name="Greg Myers" post="1418180" timestamp="1430664298"]I think he's on to something. ;) I have a small loose leaf note book I keep building ideas in, including Kits needed, parts , wheels, tires , engines and from what kits they're in. :lol:

If it's a Ford car, I'll build it. If it's a Chevrolet car, maybe I'll build it. If it's a Mopar, only if someone asks me to build it for them.

Still lot's of Fords I want to build, have most in stash, and don't really have a problem choosing.

I buy kits by the cars they depict, and not by how cool or not the kit itself is.

Been there. I have 5 or 6 of different truck kits. I look at them and can't decide how I want to build any of them. Too many choices I guess.

Your right, I think too many choices might be part of the problem haha. It's always best to have a kit you've been wanting more often than not I always say, you never know when that specific hobby store will close down, or the model Gets discontinued, causing for prices to climb on places like eBay or Amazon.

Lol nice approach you got there lovefordgalaxie. I know most people have one car maker preference, I have an extensive collection of kits from diff automotive manufacturers, I really do not have a preference. I buy a kit based on the real 1:1 's body lines, and styling. I guess I see certain vehicles as Pieces of art. Its nice to see them in the streets or at shows, and when at home, they provide endless eye candy in 1/24 scale lol. I do find myself carrying more Chevys than anything else, so idk what that's all about ...

If it's a Ford car, I'll build it. If it's a Chevrolet car, maybe I'll build it. If it's a Mopar, only if someone asks me to build it for them.

Still lot's of Fords I want to build, have most in stash, and don't really have a problem choosing.

I buy kits by the cars they depict, and not by how cool or not the kit itself is.

Lol nice approach you got there lovefordgalaxie. I know most people have one car maker preference, I have an extensive collection of kits from diff automotive manufacturers, I really do not have a preference. I buy a kit based on the real 1:1 's body lines, and styling. I guess I see certain vehicles as Pieces of art. Its nice to see them in the streets or at shows, and when at home, they provide endless eye candy in 1/24 scale lol. I do find myself carrying more Chevys than anything else, so idk what that's all about ...

Yep, that's what it's all about. One has to have a preference, being that a car maker, or like you said, the style you find more attractive.

For example, I like Ford cars, so the vast majority of my stash is... Composed of Ford cars!!

I've being around them all my life, so for me it's easier to build Ford cars, as I know how to detail and paint them (like what colors to use, what was painted what color, and stuff like that)

Also being around Chevrolets, but not as many. I build the ones I'm familiar with. Would have a hard time finding what was correct for a 1937 Chevrolet for example, as I only saw one in person once, and it was a @#$%@#&% Hot Rod...

So you build more Chevys? Have you seen a doctor yet? :D:lol:

I only flip-flop about once a week. :) In all seriousness, I have the attention span of a gnat. It’s not unusual at all for me to be extremely passionate about a subject one day (whatever that subject may be), then a week later, I really couldn’t care less. It’s an affliction I’ve been fighting (and losing) for years and years. Passion and zeal are frequently trumped by new or renewed interests.

I have plenty of kits to work on, it's just that my interests shift faster than I can build. One day I'm working on a semi truck and then I want to build a rat rod and then something else. I try to keep my focus to finish something but if I force it too long I get burned out. I also keep a notebook like Greg of things I really want to build with what parts to use and things I need to scratchbuild, not all of my builds are so planned out but some are pretty specific.

Your right, I think too many choices might be part of the problem haha. It's always best to have a kit you've been wanting more often than not I always say, you never know when that specific hobby store will close down, or the model Gets discontinued, causing for prices to climb on places like eBay or Amazon.

That's right. Revell reissued a Peterbilt Wrecker last year, it was a limited run. It's discontinued already and the prices have already almost doubled. I'm glad I snatched up two, but wanted a few more. The recently reissued AMT Peterbilt, I'm grabbin those every chance I get, same with a few others, whether or not I end up building them.

I have about 20 projects going at the same time. I go back and forth depending on how I feel.

There is some truth; buy while you can because this industry runs in batches and you never know when it will be back. I remember in the 1972-75 era it was impossible to find some AMT Trophy models. I just bought 4 1979 AMT F350s because I doubt it will return soon. I have kits that I may never build, but I have them if I feel like it.

I am similar but different .

If its Mopar , I'l build it.

Ford is a maybe, probably ,,,,,,chevrolet is doubtful unless its an old drag car. Or ,,,,,,something that really catches my eye

Actually I think the only GM builds I have to be replica stock are some old 1958-60 annuals .

But summertime is tough for me to get bench time . As I do most of my modeling during winter months ,and for the most parts I look for old annuals to fill the need during warmer weather months

I have about 20 projects going at the same time. I go back and forth depending on how I feel.

There is some truth; buy while you can because this industry runs in batches and you never know when it will be back. I remember in the 1972-75 era it was impossible to find some AMT Trophy models. I just bought 4 1979 AMT F350s because I doubt it will return soon. I have kits that I may never build, but I have them if I feel like it.

Ditto Bob. You nailed it on the head on my building and purchasing trends.

Scott

My interest in a subject waxes and wanes depending on what I see in my stash when I look through it.

Being May now my interest will turn a bit toward Indy cars so I might drag one of those kits out and work on it.We'll see.

I have a small loose leaf note book I keep building ideas in, including Kits needed, parts , wheels, tires , engines and from what kits they're in. :lol:

I do also. However the most important thing I do is buy selectively. If I don't a have a REAL good idea on how I'd want to build a model, I don't buy it.

I have 53 kits. Only. And I'm quite happy with that number. It allows me to plan them without feeling overwhelmed. I know how I want to build them, I know what parts I need and a decent idea of what paints I'll need.

I've 32 un-started kits that are planned builds

6 kits bought for parts

3 kits available for trade

and 11 wips.

Buying on impulse, buying because it's a good kit, buying because it "might" come in handy. and buying multiples of the same subject (I have only one kit that I own multiples of) are all something to be avoided in my opinion. Getting overwhelmed by your own collection is caused by these things I think.

Yep, that's what it's all about. One has to have a preference, being that a car maker, or like you said, the style you find more attractive.

For example, I like Ford cars, so the vast majority of my stash is... Composed of Ford cars!!

I've being around them all my life, so for me it's easier to build Ford cars, as I know how to detail and paint them (like what colors to use, what was painted what color, and stuff like that)

Also being around Chevrolets, but not as many. I build the ones I'm familiar with. Would have a hard time finding what was correct for a 1937 Chevrolet for example, as I only saw one in person once, and it was a @#$%@#&% Hot Rod...

So you build more Chevys? Have you seen a doctor yet? :D:lol:

Haha :) yea I love Chevy impalas , I have like every year of it. Ford has some nice vehicles, I have a huge collection of mustangs ! I love mustangs !

One good way to judge building options is to check out the 1:1 vehicle on Google Images. Lots of color scheme and building variations to look at.

That's an excellent idea, I think that by simply looking online for images of the 1:1 version, you can start getting ma feel for what you want to build at that time

You know what sucks? When you've finally Made up your mind to buy that one. Kit you've been eyeing, and it's not available at the local hobby store anymore. I lost count on how often this happened, therefore I do not second doubt myself on a kit I want to get anymore. It's nice to have multiple kits ain't it'?