Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stacking Models

We all have models and most of us stack them in the closet. What is a safe number to stack them? Don't worry much about the boxes but i try never to go over 10 high. i wish i had room to keep them on shelves but space is a problem.. So wanted everyone's opinion...

Really a lot depends on the boxes, not all model boxes are made equal. I've got some semi-truck kits in the closet stacked 15 high and not showing a sign of strain. I've got other kits I wouldn't trust the boxes to go over 3 high.

I have taken to re-enforcing opened kit boxes

I use corrugated cardboard

Depending on box size as to whether I use light corrugated,

single, double, or even triple corrugated

Light corrugated boxes are usually Deli Pizza boxes from Wally's

and even some shoe boxes

Double corrugated are usually TV boxes. Maybe other larger items

The Triple Corrugated one I get are Fresh Produce boxes, like Watermelon,

either out of a recycling bin, or from the store.

I actually got one from the church next door when they bought an entire

pallet of watermelon!!

I have some kits stored in lawnmower and TV cartons.They're stacked 3 and 4 deep.The problem I have is that I have to stack the full cartons and their weight is causing some deflection of the bottom cartons.So every once in a while I rotate the carton stacking order.

I put mine in Public Storage packing boxes, usually 10-12 kit boxes to a box. Then the packing boxes usually maybe 5-6 high (which is about 7 feet up).

Home Depot sells good strong moving boxes in small - medium - large that are perfect for moving or storing models. The price is right $1-2 each depending on size.

Stero Plastic Shoe Boxes, clear plastic most of the smaller model boxes will fit inside, if they don't drop in I usually fold it flat and store on top then shut the whole thing in the shoe box. You can get them for as cheap as 2 for a $1 to $2 during the after Christmas storage sales.

I started using them with projects storing everything in the shoe box from parts gathering through completion, for me it's a system that works well. If I need to set the model aside everything goes back into the shoe box, it takes a whole lot of discipline not to dip into that box and borrow parts!

I don't store all my models in the shoe boxes, when I notice that a box is showing some wear and tear or crushing then it's time to go into a shoe box.

I stack mine depending on the model box as high as about ten,but as was said before all model kit boxes are not equal to each other...depends on the box.most are in the biggest boxs walmart carries in groups like all Chevrolet, all Camaro, all Mustang...like that and like there...two Camaro box...so Its all Camaro box 1,2 and 3 of the walmart bi tall ones.to me that works best.

• 4 weeks later...

Tried the large cardboard box method, gave each box a number and made a file what was in each numbered box. For me it took more space to stack and store large boxes than stack the kits 15 high on all 4 walls then put long wire shelf above that and go 6 more kits. Keep the stronger sealed kits on the bottom and weaker boxes near the top. Higher dollar kits on the wire shelf. Closet gets big box kits. With all kids married and out of the house Im lucky to have extra room to put my feet up and look at all the kits they will give away one day. :(