Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cobra Daytona Coupe in plastic.

Pete Brock certainly did design the Superformance Coupe that I think is in that photo (he designed the originals as well). Without the limitations of the original car, the new one has much better proportions. Pete prefers the new car, so do I...and to be perfectly honest, I'd rather have the Superformance Coupe vs. a vintage Daytona coupe...since I already have an expensive resin kit :lol:

Either way, good news...I think.

Academy...what a weird company to do the Cobra Daytona...time will tell if it's a decent kit or not.

I've got Harold Bradford's excellent resin kit of this car as well, and I recently just sold a Gunze one on Feebay. I'd like this one just the same as I'm curious as to how they handle the mechanicals--------will it be full detail or strictly a curbside?

Beautiful car though for a design over 45 years old! :lol:

Edited by MrObsessive

Here is a weird and, in a way, heartbreaking story about a Cobra Daytona barn find. I can't find the original story that I saw, but unlike the following write-up, it said that the current owner had no plans to restore the car and only wanted to clean it up.

http://jimsgarage.wordpress.com/2007/01/14/the-missing-daytona-coupe-mystery/

Here is a weird and, in a way, heartbreaking story about a Cobra Daytona barn find. I can't find the original story that I saw, but unlike the following write-up, it said that the current owner had no plans to restore the car and only wanted to clean it up.

http://jimsgarage.wordpress.com/2007/01/14/the-missing-daytona-coupe-mystery/

That car is currently residing less than 20 minutes from me. It looks fantastic. The lettering is no longer on the drivers side door. I couldn't see the passenger side. It is currently located in the Simeone Automotive Foundation Museum. Here's the link to the Museum.

Simeone Museum

This place is amazing.

• 3 years later...

As for Accurate Miniatures, I have had a number of email converations with Bob, from AM, who has explained the problems they are experiencing in producing model kits. We, as builders just assume its, wham bam thank you mam, and there is another kit on the market. I have copied one of Bob's emails to me so you can get a flavor of the problem they have. This conversation was from about 3 months ago. I was looking for some decals for a Grand Sport Corvette, which I found from another aftermarket supplier. I was also asking about the roadster and 289 Cobra, and any other projects AM may have been working on. Bob, was telling me in another email that he thought that the hobby was changing and held up the curbside Tamiya models and the lack of detail on the new Revell 2006 Corvette C6R as examples of the trend to less detail and lower cost. We wondered to each other why Revell put lots of detail in the street, C6 and the Zo6, but chose to limit detail on the race car. Here's the email.

Peter.. we have no decals for the 5000 and 5001 kits.. those pieces became

ancient memories years ago... I have the Corvette GS Roadster done.. have

to find $72K to tool the parts.. I have the reserach done for the 289 Cobra

and the body drawing is complete.. my thinking is changing on this

from a Corvette / Mclaren complxity kit at $40 to a less complex item

with good detail but fewer parts for $20 to $25... just in the thinking stage

at this point.. that wuill lower the tooling to $100K - $150K range..

Bob

You can see, cost and a need to find the necessary financing are driving the hold up of the models we are interested in. I hope this helped.

After reading this I have to wonder what became of the design work and drawings mentioned above by "Bob" (Johnson?) of Accurate Miniatures. I think Dave Van mentioned having some knowledge of the AM liquidation and what happened to some AM property, and we know Revell scooped up the leftover, already produced Corvette Gran Sport kits, but what became of the actual molds and other design related materials from the AM Gran Sport and McLaren kits?

Maybe Round2 got wind of Revell acquiring the 289 Cobra stuff (for lack of a better word) and decided to re-issue its own 289 Cobra kit in late 2012?

Would an all new Shelby 289 Cobra kit (assuming it would be more accurate than the AMT kit?) even be a good idea?

Makes me wonder if AM had similar (or any) design work done for a Shelby Daytona coupe, too.

IMG_3915.jpg

if fujimi is doing ferraris then i hope they do maseratis as well. modern ones and vintage ones. reason i bring this up is that if you look at cmc's ad for their (fantastic by the way) birdcage, they license the name maserati through ferrari so they must own that license and hence if fujimi is under contract to use the ferrari name maybe they have implied rights to maseratis as well.

speaking of which there is some killer maser around my neighborhood, dont know the model but its very recent and you can hear it about 10 blocks away...and its got a quiet exhaust system.

William, HRM has just released a Maserati 450S curbside kit. I have seen both the kit and a buildup. It is very nice.

Maybe Round2 got wind of Revell acquiring the 289 Cobra stuff (for lack of a better word) and decided to re-issue its own 289 Cobra kit in late 2012?

Would an all new Shelby 289 Cobra kit (assuming it would be more accurate than the AMT kit?) even be a good idea?

IMG_3915.jpg

An accurate FIA 289 Cobra would sell like hot cakes I believe. Seen what Revell FIA Cobra slot bodies are going for? As to a good affordable Cobra Daytona, I'm waiting with money in hand.

• 1 month later...

Anyone commenting on this thread realize this post was made more than SIX YEARS AGO?

Just sayin.'..

...and still waiting. Ah, well.

And I just noticed this...

Art Anderson, on 26 Apr 2013 - 04:27 AM, said:snapback.png

I'll see it when I believe it.

Art

Talk about magical thinking. Very mystical :lol:

But that's like my model building. I have to believe I can do it if I'm ever going to see it.

Edited by sjordan2

To bring this into the current time frame; my thought is that a prospective kit mfgr. may have 'nowhere' to go to get an accurate subject to digitize-with possibly one exception.

The current 1:1 Daytona replicas from FFR, Lescher and possibly Unique IIRC, are little more than suggestions of the original (as pictured herein) with distortions added. There have been brief attempts by others like Upstate Motorcars but nothing that was accurate or sold in the slightest volume.

There have been several 'air cars' created / restored by fame Cobra restorer Mike McClusky but of extreme expense and doubtful interest by their owners. In fact, those cars are well-hidden from public view.

Interestingly, famed racer Kenny Braack recently drove a magnificent Daytona in Europe in a vintage race environment but the builder was not publicly credited.

It is highly doubtful that the Shelby Museum in Colorado or any of the few private owners have any incentive to submit the original cars to model replication. And yes they were all slightly different.

The only viable current alternative for a kit maker is the Kirkham Daytona, newly finished and track tested and orders being taken. This is a $100K-well+ replica roller and finished with owner-preference power and drive train is a buck fifty. This is a dead-nuts accurate product in every visual and most spec respect. Things like improved bearings and uprights are part of the Kirkham quality offerings. If a kit maker can't get cooperation from the Kirkhams, possibly a customer would cooperate with his personal car.

But that too would not be an overnight proposition.

The best still remains the OOP Gunze Coupe and a handful of Exoto 1/18 models.

Just sayin'...

Edited by Cato

Don't forget the full detailed Historic Racing Miniatures Cobra Daytona.

The high water mark in my opinion. Although expensive, it is an outstanding kit. The Scale Motorsport Daytona is curbside, nearly as expensive as HRM's with less detail and is sold out

Edited by Exotics_Builder