Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airbrush advice

If you have the money buy the Iwata, it's far superior. The trigger style is awesome to use. I have the Neo for Iwata version, the TRN-2. It's about half the price of the Iwata. Proper thinning will give great results with the smaller .5mm tip. Checkout Chicago Airbrush Supply for some of the best prices around the net.

NEO27.jpg

Edited by 935k3

I have the Iwata HP-C Plus with .3 tip and the finish is outstanding. I have painted a few bodies with no problem, although it does take more passes to cover the body, like painting the body with a sharpie vs covering one side in 1 or 2 passes. Just bought an Iwata Eclipse HP-BCS with .5 tip. Havn't tried it yet to compare.

The 1mm tip I think would be too much.

Edited by Mike Chernecki

yes i have 2 of them the first one i brought had a pistol handle on it..it blue a o ring and the sent me another different one (at my request) and i keep the other one also. just has to buy a o ring set so now i have 2 new ones.. this was the first one...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spray-Gun-Tip-PISTOL-TRIGGER-AIRBRUSH-SET-KIT-3-Cups-Detail-Touch-Up-Auto-Paint-/141483690200?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f115c8d8

yes i have 2 of them the first one i brought had a pistol handle on it..it blue a o ring and the sent me another different one (at my request) and i keep the other one also. just has to buy a o ring set so now i have 2 new ones.. this was the first one...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spray-Gun-Tip-PISTOL-TRIGGER-AIRBRUSH-SET-KIT-3-Cups-Detail-Touch-Up-Auto-Paint-/141483690200?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f115c8d8

this is the second one...http://www.ebay.com/itm/MASTER-PRO-Dual-Action-Gravity-Feed-AIRBRUSH-KIT-SET-w-3-TIPS-Hobby-Paint-Craft-/191093287963?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c7e0c2c1b

I have the Master G-22. See my review here.

Don

Great in-depth review.

I think this is one area where it's better to save up and buy a good airbrush without niggling design flaws like the O-ring, rather than having to frequently compensate for poor design, sloppy machining and questionable long-term reliability and durability.

Great in-depth review.

I think this is one area where it's better to save up and buy a good airbrush without niggling design flaws like the O-ring, rather than having to frequently compensate for poor design, sloppy machining and questionable long-term reliability and durability.

I agree, after reading the article. Would you by chance have a good suggestion as to a quality brush and compressor? That o-ring kind of freaks me out. I need a solid brush, that I don't have to have things like that on my mind. Once again, the Chinese drop the ball.

I as yet know next to nothing about airbrushes, and I wouldn't presume to give advice as to which ones were worthwhile.

I DO have vast experience with tools in general however, and buying quality tools that are built to last always makes sense if your goal is to produce good work with minimum frustration.

There are several highly experienced airbrush users on the forum who have contributed much good information. Here's one thread. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=81390&hl=%2Bair+%2Bbrush+%2Breviews

Here's another one... http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=94993&hl=%2Bair+%2Bbrush#entry1290409

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

well i use iwata as thay are good make and last a long time and u can get parts for them i use kustom revolution tr and the iwata eclpse hp-bcs - thay are great lots of poeple use them look up the review on iwata

What is a good compressor? I looked online about the revolution tr. They average about 350.00 to 5 something. What about the eclipse?

Edited by snacktruck67

You can buy the Eclipse for about $120.00 at Hobby Lobby witha 40% off coupon. Check the prices for all airbrushes at chicagoairbrushsupply.com They have free shipping on most. They sell the Revolution TR models for $221. Sometimes the .35mm tip in the Eclipse seems a bit small when painting bigger stuff. Take a look at the Paasche Talon TG3F set that includes .25mm,.38mm and .66mm tips and needles. Definitely get a gravity feed over a siphon feed. Take a look at the Neo for Iwata trigger airbrushes TRN-1(.35mm tip) and TRN-2(.5 mm tip), I have both and love them, The Neo's are backed by Iwatas 5 year warranty. I have the Paasche Talon, Iwata Eclipse CS , Iwata Revolution CR(.5mm tip) and a Paasche Millenium. My favorite to use is the Neo for Iwata TRN-1. The triggers feel great in your hand.

TRN1-&-TRN2-boxed.gif

Edited by 935k3

You can buy the Eclipse for about $120.00 at Hobby Lobby witha 40% off coupon. Check the prices for all airbrushes at chicagoairbrushsupply.com They have free shipping on most. They sell the Revolution TR models for $221. Sometimes the .35mm tip in the Eclipse seems a bit small when painting bigger stuff. Take a look at the Paasche Talon TG3F set that includes .25mm,.38mm and .66mm tips and needles. Definitely get a gravity feed over a siphon feed. Take a look at the Neo for Iwata trigger airbrushes TRN-1(.35mm tip) and TRN-2(.5 mm tip), I have both and love them, The Neo's are backed by Iwatas 5 year warranty. I have the Paasche Talon, Iwata Eclipse CS , Iwata Revolution CR(.5mm tip) and a Paasche Millenium. My favorite to use is the Neo for Iwata TRN-1. The triggers feel great in your hand.

TRN1-&-TRN2-boxed.gif

Looked over the info from Chicago air brush. Good reviews for the NEO. I might just be sold on that particular model. Which compressor would be good with the NEO. Just need to decide between the TR-1 and TR-2.

Edited by snacktruck67

Mike,

I have been using airbrushes for 50+ years, beginning with modeling as a child to Custom Paint during the van craze of the 1970s and am still active in 1:1 Custom Paint (see my profile)

I have many airbrushes by many manufactures, in the last ten years I have mostly used Iwata and they are a great quality brush. I have had the opportunity to try just about every brand out there as I try to attend at least One Airbrush Action Magazines Getaways per year.

I really like the trend of some of the Medium/Higher end airbrushes going to a spray gun type trigger. I have used the top push/pull trigger for years because that's all they had to offer, with the advent of the pistol type trigger I am able to get better control, I spend more time with production guns in my hand and changing over from pistol grip to top trigger at times was a challenge due to muscle memory, I still use my top trigger airbrushe's for rough in but use trigger types for the fine detail now.

I would recommend getting a higher end brush from the get go, you want performance right out of the gate, the right tools are truly a investment.

I have a large compressor in the shop that supplies clean dry air to each hose we have. If I have to airbrush offsite I use a construction type pancake compressor with a oil/moisture trap, however they are noisy. Silentaire Air makes several nice compressors and I hope to add one to my arsenal at some point due to the noise of the pancake.

In my opinion you get what you pay for! I have Airbrushes that are 40-50 years old that look like new! A clean Airbrush is a happy Airbrush!!

Hope this helps! Jwrass

It just keeps getting more interesting. I really have a lot of thinking to do. Luckily I won't be getting one until after the holidays are over, so I have a lot of time to ponder over the different brands and models. My big question is where is the best place to purchase the brush from. I have seen the Iwata Eclipse being used. Nice, but it is not gravity fed. Is it best to go gravity or siphon? I was looking at Chicago air brush to be a possible place to purchase from. Although I like the idea of going to Hobby Lobby, because of the 40% savings, but they do not offer the Neo models. I am leaning towards the Neo rather than other brands. I hope this is a good high end brush to start with. At least they have a 5 year warranty. Still up in the air about the compressor. I will have to look at the Silentaire Air brand, and where to get it form. Thanks to everyone for the great feedback. Couldn't have asked for more.

Make sure the compressor you get has a reserve tank. Lowe's or Home Depot have pancake and/or 2 bottle tank compressors usually under $100.00.

would this be the one you are referring to: http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=349204-70-C2002&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=4764588&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Also does it hook-up to a air brush hose OK?

Edited by snacktruck67

Just gonna put my two cents in here, I got a Paasche VL about two months ago for my birthday and I absolutely love it, I wouldn't trade it for anything, I can do anything from painting a 1/25 big rig cab flawlessly to painting a line as thin as a hair ( not really but you get the idea), anyways, there's my money's worth and merry Christmas everyone!

The Iwata Eclipse comes in both types. The CS model is a gravity feed with a .35mm tip, the BCS is a siphon feed with a .5mm tip. Hobby Lobby carries both. I think the BCS is about $20 cheaper. I don't think you will finder better prices or service for other airbrushes from chicagoairbrushsupply.com

hpcs_hardware.jpg

post-1036-0-52563700-1419563506_thumb.jp

Edited by 935k3