Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Okay. I finally took the plunge and bought one of my "holy grails". Found on eBay what looks to be a complete, unbuilt, IMC 1/25 Avenger GT-12 kit. As far as seller can tell, and looking at the pictures they posted, there seems to be nothing missing. They had it on a "buy it now" for $44.99, plus $10.99 shipping. So not a bad price. The box looks to be in pretty good shape. Better than the other one that has been showing up on eBay lately.

Some may know, even though I'm not a big Ford guy, I love Ford GTs and GT-40s. The 1/1 Avenger GT-12 was a kit car made by Fiberfab back in the late 60's that looked a lot like a GT-40. Most were on a VW Beetle chassis with VW power. They were also commonly powered be Corvair engines. Fiberfab also made a tube frame version, powered by a V-8. But, from what reasearch I've done, most felt the VW and Corvair engined ones were fast enough. And the V-8 was over kill.

The IMC kit can be built as either as a "stock" VW powered street car. Or a Hemi powered racer car. Unlike other IMC kits, this kit looks like it should not be too hard to put together. And unlike IMC's GT-40s, this kit comes with a one piece body. No opening front and rear decks or doors. The only change I'm considering, is maybe slipping a AMT parts pack Corvair motor into it. Other than that, I plan on building as a street stock version.

Just ordered it today. I hope it looks as good as it did in the photos. If so, another one I can knock off my list of must haves.

If it's like/based on their VW kit, you can build it "stock" and have an entire complete Hemi-powered Altered frame on which you can build another whole model.

If it's like/based on their VW kit, you can build it "stock" and have an entire complete Hemi-powered Altered frame on which you can build another whole model.

From what I've seen on the kit, mostly online, there is fairly stock VW chassis in this kit. And another one that puts the "hemi" engine closer to the front of the car. Requiring you to cut a hole in part of the rear of the front hood and the dashboard. Speaking of "hemi" engine, as stated on the side of the box that comes with in this kit. It looks in the instructions like no hemi I've ever seen. I'll be curious to see exactly what V8 engine it comes with.

After looking at the instructions online, the way the kit shows off the engine. I'll be sticking with the stock Volkswagen power plant. If I stuck a Corvair engine in there like I originally planned, it would never be seen. Makes sense and is easier to stick with the stock Beetle engine in that case.

Naturaly since I just ordered this kit yesterday, it has not arrived yet. Looking forward to seeing what I get. And have plenty of time to still debate with myself on using the Corvair power plant or not.

From what I've seen on the kit, mostly online, there is fairly stock VW chassis in this kit. And another one that puts the "hemi" engine closer to the front of the car. Requiring you to cut a hole in part of the rear of the front hood and the dashboard. Speaking of "hemi" engine, as stated on the side of the box that comes with in this kit. It looks in the instructions like no hemi I've ever seen. I'll be curious to see exactly what V8 engine it comes with.

After looking at the instructions online, the way the kit shows off the engine. I'll be sticking with the stock Volkswagen power plant. If I stuck a Corvair engine in there like I originally planned, it would never be seen. Makes sense and is easier to stick with the stock Beetle engine in that case.

Naturaly since I just ordered this kit yesterday, it has not arrived yet. Looking forward to seeing what I get. And have plenty of time to still debate with myself on using the Corvair power plant or not.

IIRC, the hemi in the IMC VW was an early one, and I don't think anyone ever accused it of excessive accuracy. But "it'll do."

ETA: Does it look like this?

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/imc/imc-volkswagen-stoc/imcvwinstructions2.html#media

Edited by Snake45

IIRC, the hemi in the IMC VW was an early one, and I don't think anyone ever accused it of excessive accuracy. But "it'll do."

ETA: Does it look like this?

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/imc/imc-volkswagen-stoc/imcvwinstructions2.html#media

Yea, that looks like the same engine in the Avenger's instruction sheet I saw online. So you say it's better than the instructions indicate?

Yea, that looks like the same engine in the Avenger's instruction sheet I saw online. So you say it's better than the instructions indicate?

I THINK I built that engine (and part of the chassis, but never finished it) of the VW back in the day and don't remember it being horribly inaccurate. I also don't remember hearing any particular complaints about it over the years. But I'm no expert on early Hemis, so who knows.

I'll try to remember to dig that kit out tonight and take another look at the engine, if I have time.

I THINK I built that engine (and part of the chassis, but never finished it) of the VW back in the day and don't remember it being horribly inaccurate. I also don't remember hearing any particular complaints about it over the years. But I'm no expert on early Hemis, so who knows.

I'll try to remember to dig that kit out tonight and take another look at the engine, if I have time.

As always, thanks Snake.

I still have to pinch myself to remember that this happened, as I never get deals like this:

Both still in the inner bags. The GMC lost a valve cover and one small decal to tire burn, and the Charger has some chips out of the pre-painted body. I paid $50 for both:o

I still have to pinch myself to remember that this happened, as I never get deals like this:

MhJ9JYdrBwrOgodGkd-vi.jpg

Both still in the inner bags. The GMC lost a valve cover and one small decal to tire burn, and the Charger has some chips out of the pre-painted body. I paid $50 for both:o

Nice score!! Love the box art on the GMC, that is classic!! 

Got these two today, both are rebuilders but all the parts are there. Very happy chap !!

2016-05-05 16.27.37.jpg

Sweet! After wanting one for decades, I scored that '66 Mustang MIB off eBay a couple years ago, with all original customizing parts intact. With the reissues common and cheap, I'll never build it, it just gives me a great deal of pleasure to own it, completely intact in the box.

As always, thanks Snake.

Okay, just took a quick look at it.

I was wrong about having built it. I got part of the VW Altered chassis built, but not the engine. Most of the parts are still on the trees.

The valve covers are sort of weird looking, even for an early hemi. It might be possible to alter or replace them for a more accurate look. (I wonder if IMC was going for a "generic hemi" and not trying to replicate a real Chrysler engine for licensing or other reasons.)

The blower also seems to be closer to 8-71 dimensions than 6-71.

It's not a horrible engine, but I've seen better. Dunno if it will be up to your standards or not. Me, I could prolly do something with it.

I was wrong about having built it. I got part of the VW Altered chassis built, but not the engine. Most of the parts are still on the trees.

The valve covers are sort of weird looking, even for an early hemi. It might be possible to alter or replace them for a more accurate look. (I wonder if IMC was going for a "generic hemi" and not trying to replicate a real Chrysler engine for licensing or other reasons.)

It's not a horrible engine, but I've seen better. Dunno if it will be up to your standards or not. Me, I could prolly do something with it.

It doesn't really need to be up to my standards. Since I'll mainly be looking at the VW engine in this case. It will probably stay in the box and never be built as long as I own it. But, after looking at the instructions, it didn't look like any hemi I've ever seen. And it sounds like that is true in the plastic too.

Thanks Snake. I'm always pretty impressed with your knowledge. And your willingness to share that knowledge.

But, after looking at the instructions, it didn't look like any hemi I've ever seen. And it sounds like that is true in the plastic too.

Thanks Snake. I'm always pretty impressed with your knowledge. And your willingness to share that knowledge.

Yeah, it kinda looks like the "love child" of an early hemi and a big-block Chevy. :lol:  B)

Snake, do you have the stock tires left over in that kit? I need at least three of them for another project. Let me know if there are any other bits you need from the VW.

Snake, do you have the stock tires left over in that kit? I need at least three of them for another project. Let me know if there are any other bits you need from the VW.

I have them, but I'm using them, sorry. Maybe Modelhaus has repros?

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...