Model Cars Magazine Forum

'36 FORD HIGHBOY - WIP - REMEMBERING A FRIEND

Ramfins59

No John, I was actually thinking of leaving it just flat black or "suede" as Dave called it... He painted his 1:1 '32 Ford Sedan Highboy in "black suede" with a red interior, red steel wheels and red frame, although he did flame the front hood sides. I think the model will look pretty cool just done in black with the red wheels, and the photo-etched grille, since it will be such an unusual build for a '36.

By the way, this project is now on temporary hold due to taking on another project for a friend who I went to H.S. with way back in the early 60's. He used to build models back then but stopped and hasn't built in many years. He's got a '65 Rambler American and he just got a nice Promo from EBAY along with replacement bumpers and grille from The Modelhaus. I offered to build a replica of his 1:1 car for him and he sent me all the stuff which I got in the mail today. It's a curbside Promo model with an interior so it shouldn't take me too long to finish it up for him. He'll also be sending me the paint to match his car. I'll get back to this '36 Ford once I finish the Rambler build. Hope all is well with you and your family down there in SC. Stay well buddy.

Edited by Ramfins59

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I finished up the '65 Rambler replica of my NY friend's car, and now I'm back to working on this project. No pictures of my progress yet (sorry) but I painted the '36 Ford kit steel wheels red, glued on PE bolt heads on the lugs, '40 Ford trim rings and round PE O's (Replicas & Miniatures PE Wizards O's) around the center hub. The wheels are mounted in big & little wide whitewalls from Replicas & Miniatures. I made up a set of PE gauges for the dash (dash is painted semigloss black), and have some aluminum knobs (from Detail Master). I'm using a PE banjo steering wheel from MCG which I painted the wheel itself red. I made a custom shifter using a straight pin and a tiny hand grenade from the Gangster Lincoln kit, and I added a tiny PE ring to the grenade so it looks like the ring to pull the pin.

I finished cutting out the molded in exhaust from the chassis and then glued on flat sheet plastic and then painted all the flat parts flat black. The chassis rails will be painted red.

That's where I'm at on this right now. We're leaving today to visit my Grandson for the Christmas holiday and I won't be able to get back to this build until Wednesday. I'll post pictures then.

Until then......MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL...!!!

thats a cool project

i might have an idea for an engine to consider

you know those engines you often see in these cars with the 3 carb set up and the little "elbow" intake on top?

(you know, the ones that bend forward)

well...imagine 3 of these on each side sticking out of the hood with a prosche flat 6 sandwiched in between

• 2 weeks later...

I finally took some in-progress pictures of various finished components of this build.

First up is the chassis before I installed the engine. I also still have to make an exhaust system once the engine is put in.

CHASSIS1024x761_zpse52c8d54.jpg

Next is a side picture of the chassis showing the detailed wheels. I painted the stock AMT '36 Ford steel wheels red, added PE bolt heads to the lugs, '40 Ford trim rings and a PE "O" from RMCoMD's Wizard's O's. The wheels are mounted in RMCoMD resin Big & Little whitewalls. And yes, the wheels are attached to the chassis with the good old metal axle through the front and rear plastic axles.

WHEELS1024x759_zps79f59d57.jpg

Next is the engine from the Revell chopped '48 Ford mounted in the '36 Ford chassis. I still have to attach the hoses to the radiator.

ENGINEMOUNTEDINCHASSIS1024x745_zps2b29ba

These last 2 pictures are of the finished interior. I flocked the floor in gray and the seats and side panels in black and red. The dashboard is painted semi-gloss black with a PE gauge panel with clear epoxy drop lenses, and aluminum dash knobs from Detail Master. The PE banjo steering wheel is from MCG as are the pedals and the seat belts and hardware. The shifter is a hand grenade from the Gangster Lincoln kit mounted to a straight pin and a small PE "pull" ring. The door handles and window cranks are resin pcs. from RMCoMD painted chrome silver.

FINISHEDINTERIOR11024x763_zps7e650f32.jp

FINISHEDINTERIOR21024x697_zps67244a6c.jp

Next chore is to spray the body, hood assembly, inner fender assembly and headlight buckets with flat black primer and then do the final assembly. Hopefully this model will be finished up by some time this weekend. Thanks for following along on this build.

Edited by Ramfins59

MVC002S-vi.jpg

Hi Rich, time does fly. I didn't realize Dave was gone so long. In fact I had to go back to my photo albums from the Liars Challenge to 1999 to find this photo. Back when things were good and Dave drove Da Deuce to the show.

It's nice that you're building in Dave's memory. My favorite build of his was his Topolino street rod WITH fenders. I don't think anyone else has done that before or since! It's also good to see you doing the complex flock jobs like you did in the old days!

MVC002S-vi.jpg

Hi Rich, time does fly. I didn't realize Dave was gone so long. In fact I had to go back to my photo albums from the Liars Challenge to 1999 to find this photo. Back when things were good and Dave drove Da Deuce to the show.

It's nice that you're building in Dave's memory. My favorite build of his was his Topolino street rod WITH fenders. I don't think anyone else has done that before or since! It's also good to see you doing the complex flock jobs like you did in the old days!

Wow, I remember being in that parking lot like it was yesterday...

WOW!!! What a GREAT tribute!!! I personally vote for a "suede" royal purple... with a set of widened stock wheels, in a shiny gold or copper, with stock hubcaps.... definately go with the flathead... with an early roots-type blower, and a pair(or a trey) of Strombergs.... "pie-crust" slicks on the rear, and wide whitewalls all around... and over-the frame-rail headers..... dark chocolate brown leather interior, banjo steering wheel, skull shift knob on a tall shifter... IRS rear suspension (LIncoln Versailles?)... '39 blue-dot taillights... but that's just ME....

• 2 weeks later...

I finally made some more progress on this build. I got the body and inner fender assembly painted with Duplicolor flat black primer. I put BMF on the strip styrene window frame that I added and also installed the windshield and an interior mirror. I attached the MCG PE grille with non-fogging CA glue and also glued in small amber MV lenses into the drilled depressions where the horn grilles go, and attached PE screens in front of them.

36HIGHBOYMOCKUPFRONT_zpsb8704264.jpg

I wound up removing the hood sides because they were constantly fighting me in getting the hood to fit properly. I think it looks pretty cool without them anyway. I also wound up having to remove the flathead engine from the '48 Ford kit because the body would not sit down onto the chassis without some major modifications to the firewall and trans tunnel, which I was just not in the mood for. I'll be using the custom engine from the '36 Ford kit instead.

36HIGHBOYMOCKUPSIDE_zpsee5bf6ca.jpg

Out back I attached a 1952 license plate, as that was the year that my friend Dave was born...

36HIGHBOYMOCKUPREAR_zpsc96d6d17.jpg

A little bit of work left on this build and I'm hoping to have it all done by the end of this week or sooner. Thanks for looking in on it.