Model Cars Magazine Forum

Box Top Blunders, Omissions, False Advertisements...

It reads "Retouched Photo Of Actual Model": Not of A model, so It Should have been the Longbox!

And the trim Is correct for the 60 & 61 Apache,

I have a couple and can show that

It says "Retouched Photo of Actual Model," which is technically true. It's a retouched photo of an actual model...but it doesn't say that that actual model is the same one that's in the box!

For a company that keeps pulling scams like this seemingly over and over, that would probably be their "defense," as shady as that is.

It reads "Retouched Photo Of Actual Model": Not of A model, so It Should have been the Longbox!

And the trim Is correct for the 60 & 61 Apache,

I have a couple and can show that

The trim is correct and present on the actual longbox kit, which is why I wonder why they added it to the box art model (seeing as how that's the model they used for the '90's-era kit reissue, anyway). Maybe whoever built the box art truck did not foil it, sanded it off, or buried it under paint. It's painfully 'photoshopped' after the fact on the box art.

why they didn't just use the actual kit inside for its own box art is beyond me.

They probably didn't have a complete test shot ready to finish far enough in advance, since this was an all-new kit at the time.

I'm assuming they used a Modelhaus resin kit for the box art build.

I think they went to the other extreme when they released the "custom" version of this kit, causing many to be turned off by what the top of the box shows. :wacko:

IMG_1583.jpg

This one?

kits019-vi.jpg

If you want the one actually shown on the box, that's the old SMP/AMT annual kit. I've heard the one on the box is actually a resin repop of same... why they didn't just use the actual kit inside for its own box art is beyond me.

Not only is the photo not of the model in the box, they didn't even get the text on the box right.

It says "Hot Trucks," whatever that means... then the French "translation." which you can see they list as "Camions gonflés."

Except that "Camions gonflés" actually means "Inflated Trucks!" :lol:

Not only is the photo not of the model in the box, they didn't even get the text on the box right.

It says "Hot Trucks," whatever that means... then the French "translation." which you can see they list as "Camions gonflés."

The Street Customs moniker is equally translated oddly: Speciaux de ville (City Specials)

It was NOT A New tool at the time,. This was the RE-Issue!! 3-5 Years later!

They in fact had 2 issues out Before. The Stock & the Street Machine you

show in the W-M Checker Board box.

I cannot explain the error in light if this information. ^ :huh: That certainly is bizarre on AMT's part. Maybe they planned to update the tooling and it never happened?

The funny thing about this one is that I never really looked at the model in the box. Hmmm. I have too many models.

They probably didn't have a complete test shot ready to finish far enough in advance, since this was an all-new kit at the time.

I'm assuming they used a Modelhaus resin kit for the box art build.

I think they went to the other extreme when they released the "custom" version of this kit, causing many to be turned off by what the top of the box shows. :wacko:

IMG_1583.jpg

Aha! I was wondering where those decals came from.

This is one of my favourite kits. One day I might get to building one OOB but until then accuracy issues and incorrect box art doesn't matter.

If anyone has just realised they've been gipped and are so disgusted they want to piff their kits then they can send them in my direction...

• 5 weeks later...

Greg how about telling us what is wrong/misleading with the box art. I know I see a sedan ( or saloon ) when they printed coupe.

I remember building the original release of that kit with my grand father we had fun. wishing we had more than 1 of those kits.. they had parts in side that could make more that just 3 different ways hehe.

I would love to have about 8 of those nowadays

amt40.JPG

here is one I got the other day.. the picture is 94 GMC Sonoma SL long box regular cab 4X4. the picture of the engine is from 1st gen S10. not 2nd gen. the kit is a short box 2X4 regular cab... the inside shot is also from the regular cab SL model but it's from the 2X4.. manual tranny, cloth bench seat, and missing the 4X4 selection on the dash. of course the model is of the nicer SLS package.

sadly I was wanting the model pictured LOL but I have a Syclone kit that I will cast the 4X4 parts from.

AMTGMCsonomasls_zps88b0cecd.jpg

You can blame this very model for getting me started in kit reviews.

I read one appraisal of this kit looking for the reviewer - I forget who - to say something, ANYTHING, about whether or not AMT actually tooled up a new longbox for the kit instead of just recycling their '94 short bed, 'cause a new bed would justify a purchase but the same bed wouldn't. Not a word.

I harrumphed to myself that I would at LEAST have pointed that out one way or another if I were reviewing the kit. Then I thought well, we have all these new-tool kits for '95 - how would I review those?

And the rest is sad, sordid history. B)